U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,185,565 times

Advertisements

Looks like the city is trying to be more proactive in addressing code violation issues...hope it works...

Facebook page targets Atlanta’s property code violators | The Biz Beat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,481,722 times
Its a shame people in atlanta have to go through the trouble of doing that.

Here in Gwinnett, you just go to the code enforcement's website, fill out a form and a week later, the violation is gone. One of the many great things about this county.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM

4,098 posts, read 1,734,315 times
I don't think it will. Their "proactivity" is basically just putting stickers on abandoned houses. There is a house near Washington High School, that is practically falling onto a side street. I stopped driving down that street because part of the house fell into the street. I went by there recently and there were about 2 or 3 orange "violation" stickers there but other than that, nothing has been done.

It is amazing to me what absentee property owners can get away with here. Also for the poster above, good for you about Gwinnett. That said, I have seen code violations in Gwinnet as well. It more than likely depends on where you life, just like here in the city.

My husband cuts the grass of the abandoned house next door to us just so our block won't look horrible from house high grass (there is grass that is taller than some houses in my neighborhood). Our neighborhood association also has a committe that goes out and cuts grass and tries to get the city to pick up dumped trash that trucks bring over here. Unfortunately with the landscaping, there are only so many of us and the committee cannot tackle the hundreds of houses that need care. Usually they do a block at a time, over the course of a month though the grass will grow right back at the previous houses and if they go back to do those again then other houses will get neglected.

Where I'm from the city will come and cut the grass at a house and charge the owner $500-$1000. The second time is $1000. If there is a third time, they will take the house and sell it. Or they will demolish it and charge the owner. I have seen homes demolished within a month. It doesn't make sense to me why Atlanta doesn't address this issue as I do feel it is one of the more pressing needs of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta