U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,221 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am currently in the process of moving to Atlanta in about a month and I am struggling to find a place to live. My problem is this, I have 3 pets a dog and two cats and I can not find anywhere to live. A lot of the apartments only allow two pets so I'm in a pickle.
My budget is between 700-1200. I would prefer a two bedroom but I am willing to settle for a one bedroom.
I am looking for any type of place , I can not be too picky because of the pet situation.
My fiance and I will both be commuting to work, he'll be using Marta (His job is in Dunwoody) so being near the transit will be a plus.
We would also love to live in the city somewhere...
We also have no children, our pets are our kids.
Please help!
I'm beginning to give up on the search because it seems too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,079,931 times
Contact Apartments for Rent - Apartment Locator Service | PROMOVE.com They are a free service and they represent apartment buildings. Maybe they know of complexes that would be willing to take all three?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,724,784 times
You will have more luck with renting a townhome or small house. Apartments tend to have more stringent rules with pets.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 PM

48 posts, read 73,706 times
Honestly if they allow two pets there's no need for them to know you have three. Register the two pets and sneak fluffy in at 3am. Two cats don't make significantly more noise than one to the point that their presence should alert anyone.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,873,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadyitc View Post
Honestly if they allow two pets there's no need for them to know you have three. Register the two pets and sneak fluffy in at 3am. Two cats don't make significantly more noise than one to the point that their presence should alert anyone.
^^^ THIS! I have always had multiple cats and never even paid a pet deposit -- and management KNOWS I have the cats. Multiple dogs are really the main worry.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,173,446 times
Please don't assume that sneaking an extra pet in is always going to be ignored by owners or management. I have known someone who tried this. They got to stay there with the three pets they had - but had to pay an additional $500 deposit on that third. Their choice - pay it and stay, or move. And this was someone who had three Cats, by the way - dogs are capable of being more destructive, but anyone who's had to have carpet removed due to Cat urine smells knows it can cost $$$ to de-funk a Cat Home, too. Some landlords are easy going about it and will ignore it - others will not. So note this is a gamble.

I will agree that you will have better luck renting a home than an apartment or condo considering the pet thing. A lot more home owners are tacking on a "no pets" clause these days, though. Personally I think pets usually cause less damage than some kids (why can't we ask for a child deposit? hmmmm ). My suggestion would be if you find a home you like, contact the owner, tell them about ALL of your pets, and offer to give them a non-refundable cleaning deposit upfront. It shows you're willing to clean up and take responsibility for your pets, etc., and MIGHT give you some more pull with them.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM

23,245 posts, read 17,442,819 times
I agree with atlantagreg that renting a house would be best, since you get room and a yard for the dog. Downside is no gated community, but parking in the driveway will be fine, we've never had any problems.
Living in the city is expensive, but can be feasible by cutting back on other things, eg: eating out.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,957,873 times
Quote:
Personally I think pets usually cause less damage than some kids (why can't we ask for a child deposit? hmmmm ).
because it's illegal. The SCOTUS ruled on that back in the 80s. Prior to that, most nice complexes wouldn't rent to people with kids, period. Once that was outlawed, I knew I wouldn't be staying in apartments any longer.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM

738 posts, read 1,151,938 times
Yep, try looking for a rental home offered by an individual or a small property management company. I only had to pay a $150 deposit for my 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,221 times
I've tried looking for homes and townhomes but they all seem to have same pet policy two pets under 10lbs. I feel a little stuck. I would love to tell a "white lie" about having only two pets but my significant other doesn't want to. removed (bad code)

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-24-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or