Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:43 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times

Advertisements

The location of the job is right by Georgia Tech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM

22 posts, read 30,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Yes.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
There's some really high end properties near there and there's the bottom of the bottom. Not a lot in between.

Most people opt for the longer commute, newer house and nicer new public schools. Right now you can get a 4/2.4/2 in the outermost burbs that is less than 10 years old for as low as $100k for a 1 story in a nice subdivision near conveniences. An extra 10-20k gets you a two story on basement.

It sounds like you might like Decatur because of the whole farmers market thing. That would put you reasonably close to downtown. Dekralb schools are pretty bad but you don't plan on using the schools you said. Wide range of home prices there.

In any case, you should plan to rent first in the neighborhood/area you think you'll like. You'll have to pay a little more than $1k most likely but think of it as an insurance policy in case you don't like the area. You can just leave.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Smyrna would definitely be one option for you. The commute to GA Tech is about 20-30 minutes. There are so many back roads available you should not have to get stuck in any major highway backup.

As I noted earlier, schools are good but not great. You indicated this was not the major concern.

You should be able to find a 4 bedroom starting at 275K-300K. There are homes under 200K but they tend to be older homes.

We have local, seasonal farmer's markets. As noted above, Decatur is a better location for this type of activity.

Smyrna is close enough in town you can take advantange of many activities for homeschoolers like the Georgia Aquarium, High Museum of Art, Atlanta History Center, Fernbank Museum to name a few.

Lots of outdoor activities in this area including the Silver Comet Trail, Kennesaw Mountain and Chattahoochee River etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
not sure what you mean by a headhunter...

but as for atlanta, if your husband can get a job here before y'all start moving, that would probably be the best.

looking for a full sized home that is under $1000/month is going to be tough, but it definitely is possible. if you plan to buy the home, your options expand even more as it's possible to get a decent-sized home in a good neighbourhood here on a mortgage payment for less than $1000 a month.

as for where you want to live, i know tons of people will be spitting out names like alpharetta, dunwoody, smyrna, even johns creek and dawsonville(!)— but the fact of the matter is that if you want to have a good local farmer's market; be in a place you can walk around with the kids and enjoy yourself; and have reduced traffic and live in a place within a half hour of downtown atlanta— you're going to have to look ITP (inside the perimeter, interstate 285).

since you want a local farmer's market, i can think of three places— the first is 'your dekalb farmer's market' which is an award-winning locally-owned farmer's market with all sorts of fresh food, both local and international; the sweet auburn curb market which i hear has an excellent selection of local goods, and the new ponce city market which is planned to open in 2014— it will be one of the top 4 largest markets of its type in the country. so, if you're planning to move in town, i'd probably recommend you get close to one of those and stay on the east side, east of I-85/I-75.

some neighbourhoods you may want to check out are kirkwood, oakhurst, cabbagetown, reynoldstown, anywhere within the decatur city limits (there are a lot of areas that call themselves decatur that aren't nice), grant park, and possibly ormewood park.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 PM

86 posts, read 164,502 times
A headhunter is a recruiter. Headhunters are the recruiters that work for recruiting firms calling into specific companies looking for people with the right skill set for their clients.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 PM

22 posts, read 30,905 times
Yes, a headhunter is a 3rd party recruiter....a firm in Atlanta has a spot to fill requiring a fairly specific list of qualifications and hired a company to find applicants that qualify and get them to apply. So a recruiter tracked down my husband as someone who would fit their need and is trying to fill the position. If we don't get the job there we wouldn't move there. But if we don't want to move there we also don't have to take the job. All our family is back east and we have sort of an underlying desire to move that direction which is why we're considering it.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofjwp View Post
GA is not as hot as OKC, and it's a prettier terrain, and no F5's. Those are your advantages.

Everything else will be a downgrade.
OKC also has more bodies of water nearer the city with a river through it. Albeit, it is a small river but dammed. For me, that's a big downside to Atlanta. Atlanta should have dammed the Chattahoochee just south of the city years ago.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
In that case, MARTA rail is a commute option which opens up the possibilities especially for living in North Fulton.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
padenful, I think you will end up with a few workable options, but you will either be spending more for housing than now (Dunwoody/Sandy Springs), or living in smaller spaces (Dunwoody/Sandy Springs), or spending more time on the road in gridlock (Suwanee/Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Roswell/East Cobb), or may not be in good school districts (Smyrna - I know you home school, but some day you will want to send them to traditional school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta