U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM

13,492 posts, read 21,958,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Yes I am! The houses are fab and the schools look incredible. Just one question, is there any likelihood Gwinnett Schools will crash and burn the way Dekalb has?

Here is some more helpful information on the Parkview High Area:

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...w&0~QuickLinks

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...ap_2011-12.pdf

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...cationMapb.pdf

Gwinnett County Public Schools Cluster Boundaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Just one question, is there any likelihood Gwinnett Schools will crash and burn the way Dekalb has?

I would say no. The Parkview-Brookwood Area remains very strong and is stable. It covers roughly the same amount of area and number of students as the highly-touted Walton-Pope-Lassiter corridor of East Cobb. It is just that the area is divided between two high schools instead of three.

To further answer your question, Gwinnett has more upper-middle/upper class areas that deepen its tax base and bring more money into the district. Moreover, it has the Technology Park area of Peachtree Corners/Norcross which also bring a lot of money into the district.

Hopefully, cwkimbro and lastminutemom will chime in with more details/information about this.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 3,500,387 times
If the commute is to Chamblee, I cannot believe that northern parts of Cobb county would be a meaningful solution???

As for Gwinnett, also consider Suwanee and northern Gwinnett. Have you visited Suwanee town center? It is a must visit as far a suburban Atlanta is concerned. Even the library is walking distance from there. There is a farmers market every Saturday (although I have never been to the farmers market -- too early in the AM.)

I live in Fulton county, but I visit Suwanee town center very often. I think Northern Gwinnett

(Gwinnett actually won an urban school district award - due to criteria where Gwinnett fit the urban school profile. Since you are fleeing your current county due to schools, please do the research.)

Old 08-27-2012, 05:11 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,648,568 times
I agree with Aries.

If you want mostly single-family neighborhoods under a tree canopy and good parks the Parkview area would suit a Chamblee commute. (For a commute alternative: You can go down Rockbridge Rd and turn left onto Williams Rd [becomes Britt Rd and deads in Chamblee-Tucker/Pleasantdale]. This lets you bypass most of the Spaghetti Junction/I-85 North traffic, but is slower suburban streets with stops.)

Now if you like other types of areas... you could also consider S. Johns Creek, North Duluth, and maybe Suwannee, since Chamblee is right at the end of Peachtree Industrial.

I don't think GCPS will completely have the same problems Dekalb has for many different reasons: improved race relations from decade to decade, zoning, infrastructure built to have cheaper operations costs (aka bigger schools pools resources together).

The main thing I would look at is zoning. I wouldn't recommend some of the neighboring school district...notably Meadowcreek and Berkmar. Many people do look at them as if they are like Dekalb Schools, but to be fair the issue is a large population in a lower socioeconomic background. If you hold that factor fixed those schools have been successful in recent years of at least improving performance. (hince the past Broad Prize for being the best urban school district) These districts also have a -high- concentration of apartments, townhomes, and duplexes.

To me this is one of the biggest problems Dekalb has had in the past. As demographics shifted through the county zoning allowed for alot more apartments scattered across the county. It scared away many middle class residents, leaving behind some lower middle class, some poor, and a good bit of upper middle class residents staying behind in some 'premium' locations.

Parkview and Brookwood alternatively have few (and in the latter case... no) apartment complexes. This has kept the socioeconomic demographics a bit more stable. The area has a wide range of mostly middle class (some a little lower.. some a bit higher, but all mostly middle). I also think the community is kept stable, since it is still feasible to commute downtown/midtown. Many of the newer suburban communities downtown/midtown is a bit further and faces more traffic.

I'm not going to go into specifics with the areas in W. Gwinnett (search my past posts on Duluth, norcross, and Peachtree Ridge). That corridor is unique in that it is a very high demand, but also a very mixed corridor with lots of businesses, warehouses, and apartments. It is a good corridor, but more care needs to be taken in picking specific locations (elementary schools). There is probably more traffic on the important commuter corridors, but not so much I wouldn't consider it if you really liked the area.

Now if you do look at the Parkview Cluster. I went to Knight Elem. a good number of years ago. My niece (now 13) also went there for awhile and then transferred to Camp Creek. Knight E. was a good school, but I found Camp Creek to better. It was larger, had more resources, more parent involvement, more specialized programs in small various ways. I see Camp Creek as the stand out school in Parkview.

Knight also has a growing Hispanic community from the area North of Lilburn near 29 & Pleasant Hill/Lester Rd. I don't think this caused a problem, but the growth of it makes me wonder if it will in the future. Mountain Park Elem. to the south of the area has a mostly older housing stock (slightly cheaper), a few apartment complexes near US 78, and alot of people are moving in from Dekalb Co.

Brookwood as a whole has larger and newer homes and a complete absence of apartments. A bit more of a commute (mostly on surface streets too). You will get more house for the money and be closer to nicer/newer shopping (the avenue at Webb Gin), but Parkview has more of a location premium to property value, but more slightly older and smaller homes with traditional layouts.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Yes I am! The houses are fab and the schools look incredible. Just one question, is there any likelihood Gwinnett Schools will crash and burn the way Dekalb has?
Roz--

Also look into the Brookwood High Area as cwkimbro has mentioned above--especially Head Elementary and Gwin Oaks Elementary (the closer to Chamblee parts of the Brookwood district).

Some helpful information:

Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 PM

2,068 posts, read 3,494,860 times
Quote:
He'd be commuting to Chamblee. It was about thirty minutes when we drove it, but that was on a weekend.
Kell isn't what I think of when I think "East Cobb", even though technically it is. I tend to think of the area along Roswell Road and east of I-75 as East Cobb.

You were almost up in my territory -- just a bit further north and you would have been in Woodstock. Kell is extreme northeastern Cobb. And yes there are some beautiful homes and neighborhoods in through there.

But I disagree with 10 Feet Tall (sorry). Kennesaw to Chamblee could be a very frustrating commute. The top end perimeter can get pretty bad during rush hour, and I-75 itself is no picnic. The alternative to the perimeter is to go all the way down to the top of the connector and double back on I-85. I've done this (when the perimeter is really bad) but it could still easily be 45+ minutes. You might be able to get the commute reliably under 45 minutes if you stay further south. But do your homework and make sure you aren't signing your husband up for a bad commute.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 AM

102 posts, read 190,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Roz--

Also look into the Brookwood High Area as cwkimbro has mentioned above--especially Head Elementary and Gwin Oaks Elementary (the closer to Chamblee parts of the Brookwood district).

Some helpful information:

I would suggest in Brookwood you specifically look at Brookwood Elementary - A C Crews Middle. That is the hot district. I am trying to help a client find a reasonably priced house there and they are darn near getting outbid at every turn.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz99 View Post
I would suggest in Brookwood you specifically look at Brookwood Elementary - A C Crews Middle. That is the hot district. I am trying to help a client find a reasonably priced house there and they are darn near getting outbid at every turn.
Well, all of the Brookwood district is good--all of the elementary schools. I wouldn't be wise to just recommend one.

Also, Gwin Oaks and Head are on the Parkview side of Brookwood--thus offering a slightly better commute for the OP.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Kell isn't what I think of when I think "East Cobb", even though technically it is. I tend to think of the area along Roswell Road and east of I-75 as East Cobb.

You were almost up in my territory -- just a bit further north and you would have been in Woodstock. Kell is extreme northeastern Cobb. And yes there are some beautiful homes and neighborhoods in through there.

But I disagree with 10 Feet Tall (sorry). Kennesaw to Chamblee could be a very frustrating commute. The top end perimeter can get pretty bad during rush hour, and I-75 itself is no picnic. The alternative to the perimeter is to go all the way down to the top of the connector and double back on I-85. I've done this (when the perimeter is really bad) but it could still easily be 45+ minutes. You might be able to get the commute reliably under 45 minutes if you stay further south. But do your homework and make sure you aren't signing your husband up for a bad commute.
Well, the Kell district lies partly in "East Cobb" and partly in "North Cobb." The East Cobb-half of the Kell district is definitely "East Cobb."

Old 08-28-2012, 01:07 PM

29,282 posts, read 26,221,101 times
Quote:
Not to be negative, but isn't there always a possibility that an area's schools can crash and burn in a very short period of time? Schools are very fragile things and it doesn't take much to send them into a downward spiral.

I'd bet that if you talked to folks whose schools have experienced decline, and asked them whether they would have predicted it 5 or 10 years in advance, most would say no. People often don't see those changes until late in the game. Then you hit a tipping point where people lose confidence and things can unravel quickly.

Although schools can be repaired it's a much more arduous process. You can't do it with money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or