Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,610,130 times

Advertisements

Are there people who will assist in putting on a garage sale?

We've got mountains of stuff and I wouldn't mind paying somebody to set up the sale and manage it. And ideally, to haul away anything left over.

If we could find the right person a few of my neighbors might want to join in too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,354,035 times
Just take it to Goodwill. Get a tax credit for all the items, any value you specify. You won't have to waste any time doing a garage sale and you'll get top dollar.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,607,598 times
Have you posted it on fiverr or Craigslist. Get yogether with the other households and decide what you want to pay. You might find an unemployed administrative assistant or a SAHM who would be willing to take it on.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Have you posted it on fiverr or Craigslist. Get yogether with the other households and decide what you want to pay. You might find an unemployed administrative assistant or a SAHM who would be willing to take it on.
Good idea, Roslyn!

We would still need some muscle because there are a lot of heavy items -- furniture, machinery, some sculpture and things like that. Also tons of books, dishes, and other items that aren't easy to move.

cittic, we've already hauled a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. I don't even ask for a tax deduction -- they are welcome to it.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,996,781 times
Have you ever had a garage sale before?

I hadn't until last year. My neighborhood has an annual garage sale where everybody sets up in their own driveway, but the sale is advertised around the community and lots of people show up.

My girlfriend wanted to participate and sell a few things, so we gathered up some stuff and put it on display.

I'll never do it again. You have to sit outside waiting for people to show up and answering questions. It made me feel like a used car salesman. People will ask legitimate questions on whether things work or not, and even just the casual answer of "yes, it still works, as far as I know" made me feel like I was trying to peddle junk. And then to bargain with people, ugh, it's just not worth it. Yes, you can have that old interntal CD burner for $2 instead of $3 if it means that much to you, just take it away.

Maybe I don't have the right people skills, maybe I just don't like people enough, but I'm sure I could have seen a better return by just donating it all and claiming it on my tax return. The only positive thing was I did sell an old surround sound stereo system that still works great that I just didn't need anymore for pennies on the dollar to a mother for her 9 year old son who she said "loves music." So I kind of hope that in some way I was able to help that kid explore his love of music the same way I did when I was his age.

But overall, having to move the stuff, having to sell it or pay someone to sit out there and sell it for you....it's way more hassle than it's worth.

Just call the Salvation Army. They'll send a couple of guys and a truck and will move everything for you.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 PM

284 posts, read 588,185 times
My experience in midtown with yardsales was very different. Our complex would set up on a Saturday and sure enough early birds would be there at the crack of dawn wanting to dig through your boxes before you could even set up. While some will haggle, I found the best way to avoid this is to group things by table ($1, $5, free, etc) and then just put individual prices on more valuable items. I also offered buy 2 get 1 free which seemed to work great and ensures I am not dedicating more than 2-3 hours to a yard sale (doing it as a block party with neighbors & having a cookout/drinks makes it fun, too). One guy just offered me $100 for a box of vintage stemware that might have sold for $200 individually. Done. Yeah I could probably sell it on ebay for more, but to me listing and then getting paid/shipping/paying fees is a whole other hassle.

If you don't need the cash, then donating is the best way. But some people are looking for quick $$$ and that is why they go through the hassle of doing a yard sale.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,607,598 times
We had a great garage sale before we moved here. Best thing was the early birds. Most of the big stuff was gone by 10:00! We didn't havemany hagglers, and three people got into a bidding war over my husband's ridiculously huge sound system and speakers. He just stood there and let them hash it out.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,354,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good idea, Roslyn!

We would still need some muscle because there are a lot of heavy items -- furniture, machinery, some sculpture and things like that. Also tons of books, dishes, and other items that aren't easy to move.

cittic, we've already hauled a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. I don't even ask for a tax deduction -- they are welcome to it.
Uh... if you don't care about compensation for the items, just call Amvets or one of the many charities that will come to your door and haul away your stuff? They'll do the heavy lifting.

I just don't get the desire that people have to wake up real early to set up garage sales and have tons of scuzzy looking strangers driving through the neighborhood. You're making too big of a project out of it.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Uh... if you don't care about compensation for the items, just call Amvets or one of the many charities that will come to your door and haul away your stuff? They'll do the heavy lifting.
Well, I've gotten rid of things that way a number of times.

However, this time I've got a number of things that I'd rather sell. Partly for the money, and partly because I'd prefer to see them go into the hands of people who are collectors (or at least fans) of the items in question.

For example, we've got some china, silver and crystal, a number of pieces of collectible furniture, several old jukeboxes, a couple of lawn tractors, art items, etc., etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Have you ever had a garage sale before?
Indeed we have and I hated it. I just don't know what to do with all this junk.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta