Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,361 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody -

First time poster here. I'm in the bucolic midwest, preparing to move to Atlanta for work. I'm 42, partnered, professional, and gay as a purse full of kittens, and am looking for a safe apartment either in Midtown or someplace very near a MARTA station (I'll be car-free for a while). Looking for a 2 bedroom, price range between 1000 and 1500. Any chance I'll find it, or would it be easier to find a unicorn?

It's been a long time since I've lived someplace with a vibrant gay community and a great arts and music scene. I'm really looking forward to the adventure.

Cheers,

B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Adding a recommended "sticky":

1. Budget 1000-1500
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Doesn't matter, though would prefer condo/apt not on ground floor
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) New job in Midtown, coming in on foot or on MARTA
4. Children(public school vs. private) None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Prefer Urban, but not married to that
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. GLBT... Have been the only gay in the village for a while.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,926 times
Anywhere in Midtown you'll be in that price point. If you want to be 1-2 blocks from the Startbucks/Einstein/Caribou at the buildings along Peachtree you'll be at the north end of your budget. If you go for a 5-10 minute walk you can get anything as far south as McGill (e.g. Marquis Vista, 450 Piedmont, Ponce on Alexander etc) and get much more for your money (balconies/rooftop pools) but sacrifice a 2 block walk for a 12 block walk. Which is more important - immediate access or more amenities? It's like splitting hairs - just see them all and see which building you like the most. Everything is walking distance to a Marta (i.e. Civic Center, Midtown or Arts).

Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone88 View Post
gay as a purse full of kittens
Love this!!!

Welcome to Atlanta. Midtown does sound like a good place for you, since you'll be working there too.

If you're OK with an apartment complex, you can try Promove.com - it's legit and free, you can search within your budget and location preferences, and they can help you find some move-in specials.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
I'd think you should be able to find something totally suitable given your criteria. The 2 bedroom requirement and budget might price you out of the big new shiny concrete-and-glass highrise buildings in the heart of midtown (Metropolis, Spire, etc), but I'd think you will have no shortage of options in smaller and older buildings. Something like this, a little farther off Peachtree, but literally across the street from Piedmont Park might be a good fit. There is also this place, which straddles the border of Midtown and Virginia Highlands. I found those two in about 4 minutes of looking, so don't feel like you are on a snipe hunt of something . . . you'll have options.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Any place in Midtown is good for you. I think most gay people who live in Atlanta live here.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I'd think you should be able to find something totally suitable given your criteria. The 2 bedroom requirement and budget might price you out of the big new shiny concrete-and-glass highrise buildings in the heart of midtown (Metropolis, Spire, etc), but I'd think you will have no shortage of options in smaller and older buildings. Something like this, a little farther off Peachtree, but literally across the street from Piedmont Park might be a good fit. There is also this place, which straddles the border of Midtown and Virginia Highlands. I found those two in about 4 minutes of looking, so don't feel like you are on a snipe hunt of something . . . you'll have options.
Hi red92s,

Thanks so much for your recommendation... the one by the park was awesome! You mentioned that you found them in about 4 minutes of looking. I wonder if you can let me know where you looked? I've looked all over the internet it feels like, and didn't come up with anything that had that much character. My move date looks like early November at this point... will be coming to Atlanta in a couple weeks to spend 2 days checking out the new job and looking at neighborhoods.

Thanks again!

B.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM

133 posts, read 504,562 times
Gay as a purse full of kittens? LOL Now that is real gay...

Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LahdeeDahdee View Post
Gay as a purse full of kittens? LOL Now that is real gay...

That's got to be one of my favorite quotes of all times! I love it.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,408,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Any place in Midtown is good for you. I think most gay people who live in Atlanta live here.
Not really. Midtown is the most well known gay community area in Atlanta, but "most" gay people do not live there. All the other areas combined certainly have more than Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta