Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 11,349 times

Advertisements

I will most likely being moving to Atlanta to work around the airport. I would like to live on the lake but clearly the lake options in that area are pretty limited. I am willing to drive around an hour to and from work but too much more than that wouldn't be worth it. I've seen affordable houses on Lake Jackson and Lake Allatoona. Lake Lanier seems a little more expensive but possible. Before buying I'd like to live around one of these areas to get an idea of the atmosphere/neighborhoods.

Does anyone know if there are apartment complexes on any lakes near Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post
I will most likely being moving to Atlanta to work around the airport. I would like to live on the lake but clearly the lake options in that area are pretty limited. I am willing to drive around an hour to and from work but too much more than that wouldn't be worth it. I've seen affordable houses on Lake Jackson and Lake Allatoona. Lake Lanier seems a little more expensive but possible. Before buying I'd like to live around one of these areas to get an idea of the atmosphere/neighborhoods.

Does anyone know if there are apartment complexes on any lakes near Atlanta?
No apartment complexes but there are 'cottages', cheap too, but you get what you pay for. They're usually like 2br/1bath small areas on leased land from the corp.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Typcially there aren't any apartment complexes "on" the lake, though there are some NEAR lakes. A good resource is the "For Rent" magazine that's in stores here, or you can go online and get a copy at: Find Apartments For Rent, Rentals, Roommates, Moving Companies and More - ForRent.com

Keep in mind that we are experiencing what is being called the worst drought in more than a century here - there really aren't many lakes LEFT! Allatoona is nearly dried up, and Lanier at last count I think was 16+ feet below normal and boats were having to be removed from docks. This Winter is expected to be warm and dry (again), and forcasts say the drought might very well last through next year, too.

If you want water, in those rent magazines there are usually numerous apartment complexes that advertise they are on or next to the Chattahoochee River parks. You'll get parks, trails, and at least some water.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:50 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
There are a couple of apartment complexes with lake views in Gainesville. Not sure of names, sorry.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
You can also check out Norris Lake in Snellville (and it is an actual boating lake), there are some rentals there. When it is not rush hour, it only takes 1/2 an hour to get to the airport, I do it quite frequently.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
If you are working at the airport (south of Atlanta) you would have a rough commute if you are looking to live in a lake community in North Georgia (e.g., Allatoona or Lanier). Your better bet might be to look for a community near a lake or river to the south. If you are willing to commute an hour or so, there might be some options on West Point Lake, near La Grange. It is definitely not considered metro Atlanta, however.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:09 AM

4 posts, read 12,472 times
i dont live there now but spend an lot of time there during teh last 10 summers.

driving all day tru atlanta, from allatoona down to the airport is no fun. maybe with the marta train, at least part of the travel?

allatoona is verry nice as the lake in gainseville.

but i would look closer to the airport, south or so, good luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,349 times
Thanks for all the input so far. I guess the general recommendation is to stay away from north Atlanta if I work in the southern part. Norris Lake in Snellville looks like it might be good plan. I'll just have to find some place that actually sells or rents property in the area.
I know Lake Jackson is kind of a hike as well but would that be a relatively easy commute or not worth it?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,478 times
Default Living on Harp Lake

Is there something bad or wrong with living on Harp Lake at Austin Oaks Drive, Ellenwood,Ga.30294 and what county is it in-Henry or Decalb? What is it like and what could be wrong with it? Any information will be helpful-------Thank-you!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 AM

198 posts, read 421,819 times
i am pretty sure that is henry county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta