Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 17,877 times

Advertisements

My husband and I considering moving to one of the Tri-City areas leaning toward Frog Hollow neighborhood in East Point. We are young white couple currently live in McDonough and we work near the airport... THE DRIVE IS KILLING US and it’s so boring here!! We have 12 yr old also.

I have lived in GA my whole life and I have always known these areas to be "ghetto" or "hood". We took a drive through these areas last weekend and all I saw was a very transitional area that seemed really cool and upcoming.

We are by far not afraid of a little diversity and but I am afraid of crime.I would like to know if anyone knows if these areas are better/ getting better? Are most of the streets safe? Another thing is Where in the world do you send your kids to school?! We not going to pay Woodward prices and we aren’t Catholic (the other private school). My son does currently go to private Christian school now but I can’t seem to find a school for him in these areas!!

My husband wants to move like TOMORROW and I am stressing!! I would love to move ASAP also, but I need more info. (esp. with schools).

Any advise/information/do's and don’ts will be extremely helpful!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdaley View Post
My husband and I considering moving to one of the Tri-City areas leaning toward Frog Hollow neighborhood in East Point. We are young white couple currently live in McDonough and we work near the airport... THE DRIVE IS KILLING US and it’s so boring here!! We have 12 yr old also.

I have lived in GA my whole life and I have always known these areas to be "ghetto" or "hood". We took a drive through these areas last weekend and all I saw was a very transitional area that seemed really cool and upcoming.

We are by far not afraid of a little diversity and but I am afraid of crime.I would like to know if anyone knows if these areas are better/ getting better? Are most of the streets safe? Another thing is Where in the world do you send your kids to school?! We not going to pay Woodward prices and we aren’t Catholic (the other private school). My son does currently go to private Christian school now but I can’t seem to find a school for him in these areas!!

My husband wants to move like TOMORROW and I am stressing!! I would love to move ASAP also, but I need more info. (esp. with schools).

Any advise/information/do's and don’ts will be extremely helpful!! Thanks!!
College Park, East Point, and Hapeville would be great places to live.

Here is a good school option for your 12 year-old:

Home Page

Hapeville Middle Charter

And good school options once your child goes on to high school:

VPA Magnet

Mission and Vision

http://portal.fultonschools.org/School_Profile/Pages/cs_hapeville_career_academy.aspx

Other useful information:
Tri-Cities High School
Tri-Cities High School

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I am in the same position of the OP. We have recently been looking at places in Hapeville. While the houses are older, the area surprised me at how nice and well maintained most neighborhoods are.

I have a couple questions myself. Concerning all three cities, where does one do most of their grocery shopping? How welcoming is Wayfield Foods to the white boy from the "country"? The Kroger up at Metropolitain comes off as sketchy. Am I wrong? Are there any quick stop / drug store options in the Hapeville area? Where does one go for a gym?

I know living in these areas will require me to give up some of the immediate luxuries I have out in the suburbs. I'm just worried about the essentials.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I am in the same position of the OP. We have recently been looking at places in Hapeville. While the houses are older, the area surprised me at how nice and well maintained most neighborhoods are.

I have a couple questions myself. Concerning all three cities, where does one do most of their grocery shopping? How welcoming is Wayfield Foods to the white boy from the "country"? The Kroger up at Metropolitain comes off as sketchy. Am I wrong? Are there any quick stop / drug store options in the Hapeville area? Where does one go for a gym?

I know living in these areas will require me to give up some of the immediate luxuries I have out in the suburbs. I'm just worried about the essentials.
I used to go to the Kroger at Greenbriar when I lived in East Point...it's a big step up from the one on Cleveland Ave, but it's a little far from Hapeville. There are some others closer to Hapeville I think...I avoided the Kroger on Cleveland if at all possible.

Most of the grocery stores in that area are second-rate (Wayfield, Piggly Wiggly, etc) and not worth your time. There is a Costco and a Publix at Camp Creek Marketplace - again not really that close to Hapeville, but both nicer and well-kept.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Answering one of my questions - Gym

Olympus Gym; Your Neighborhood Gym- serving Hapeville, College Park, East Point and more

Olympus Gym - Anyone have any experience with this place?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Answering one of my questions - Gym

Olympus Gym; Your Neighborhood Gym- serving Hapeville, College Park, East Point and more

Olympus Gym - Anyone have any experience with this place?
I used to go to one in the same spot (it was called Iron Works back then) and it was a decent place. A lot of the police/firefighters in all 3 surrounding cities worked out there.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 AM

69 posts, read 189,529 times
I spent quite a bit of time off 166 near Greenbriar about 8 years ago, and quite frankly, it was great. All the BS about TriCities and South Fulton being "hood" is just nonsense propagated by bigots who wont be happy when anyone with darker complexion then them are present.

It's a great place to live, and many of the neighborhoods are charming and well kept. Are there some rundown parts? Yep, just as there are where I live in Cobb county. I never felt unsafe, and I never had a bad experience either. About the only thing I couldn't get used to were the low flying jets!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
yeah, i have to say there's not anywhere in east point i've seen that was really bad. my dad grew up in east point and i've been all around there— it doesn't get rough until you head up into the city of atlanta on stewart avenue or head up to campbellton road. honestly, i went by the kroger on cleveland avenue a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to me that the neighbourhood around there has improved. i remember it being much much worse than it is now. i don't know if anyone around there has any anecdotes to offer— cleveland avenue has always been kind of sketchy, but is it getting better?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 17,877 times
I love all the information we are getting on this area. My husband and I just returned from another day of:" house hunting" in this area. We absolutely love the Frog Hollow Neighborhood! There are still problems with working out the school situation, but we have no doubt that we love this very quaint, and transitional area. Here is another website that may help.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...odAssociation/

All the information about the gyms and grocery stores are extremely helpful!! Please keep the information coming.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:15 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Also...

Camp Creek MarketPlace

...and the surrounding area/district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta