Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Forward thinking is smart. Now Cobb's left with horrible congestion and all the negative effects of traffic congestion.

removed - don't cross the line into an insult.

Why should have a rural-ish Cobb county join MARTA back in the 70's? So they could pay billions into a system that they haven't needed, even to this day, while still being extremely prosperous compared to the MARTA counties? The people of Cobb don't want it. All of your "forward thinking" is little more than baseless, elitist horse dung.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-20-2012 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:21 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Cobb traffic is not bad at all. As I posted earlier, about 78% of Cobb workers live in Cobb County.

For the vast majority commute times are reasonable. 50% of workers get there in 29 minutes or less, and 77% get to work in less than 44 minutes.

Either way that beats the mean travel time for workers using public transit, which is around 47 minutes.

You've got a few bottlenecks but I don't see how joining MARTA 40 years ago and pumping billions into it would solve those problems.
Actually, only about 40% of Cobb's workers work in Cobb county, and about 40% go to counties where reliable public transit could have an impact.
Source: http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...-08update-.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
removed

Why should have a rural-ish Cobb county join MARTA back in the 70's? So they could pay billions into a system that they haven't needed, even to this day, while still being extremely prosperous compared to the MARTA counties? The people of Cobb don't want it. All of your "forward thinking" is little more than baseless, elitist horse dung.
But how sustainable is that growth? Cobb's traffic is getting worse all the time (I go to school there), there has to be a breaking point.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-20-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 06:30 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Actually, only about 40% of Cobb's workers work in Cobb county, and about 40% go to counties where reliable public transit could have an impact.
Source: http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...-08update-.pdf
My apologies -- you're right about the number of Cobb residents who commute outside the county!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Cobb Traffic is bad. I just came from Chattanooga earlier today and got to the Cobb county area around 5:30 pm and traffic was at a crawl 75 northbound if not at standstill. I was like, thank god I don't have to be in that.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Cobb traffic is not bad at all. As I posted earlier, about 78% of Cobb workers live in Cobb County.

For the vast majority commute times are reasonable. 50% of workers get there in 29 minutes or less, and 77% get to work in less than 44 minutes.

Either way that beats the mean travel time for workers using public transit, which is around 47 minutes.

You've got a few bottlenecks but I don't see how joining MARTA 40 years ago and pumping billions into it would solve those problems.
I am talking about the traffic inter-county. Its bad trying to get around the major employment areas. US 41 is always busy and I-75 is always 10 lanes pack full of cars going the speed limit, but its still congested.
There is no denying that Cobb's congestion effects the citizens quality of life. I am trying to attack Cobb, but there are traffic issues in that county, even for people not commuting out of the county.
Quote:
All of your "forward thinking" is little more than baseless, elitist horse dung.
Thank you, I do think I am better than you!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I just came from Chattanooga earlier today and got to the Cobb county area around 5:30 pm and traffic was at a crawl 75 northbound if not at standstill. I was like, thank god I don't have to be in that.
I just stay off roads like that at rush hour. Stay late, leave early, take an alternate route, run a few errands. Life is too short to piddle around in a traffic jam.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I just stay off roads like that at rush hour. Stay late, leave early, take an alternate route, run a few errands. Life is too short to piddle around in a traffic jam.
Best way to avoid rush hour congestion.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM

What is the Cobb County Transit Alternative Analysis Report and is it available to the public?

Quote:
Please join us for a Citywide Conversation on the “Cobb County Transit Alternative Analysis Report” findings

The Cobb County Department of Transportation in conjunction with the City of Atlanta, and the Atlanta BeltLine hosted several public meetings this year on the transit alternatives, which would connect the Acworth/Kennesaw State area to Midtown Atlanta. After receiving input and analyzing all the data, Cobb County will present its findings.

We hope you will join us.

Cobb County Transit Alternative Analysis Report Findings // Atlanta BeltLine

Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM

It should have been released. You'd have to check with Cobb County, Cobb County Government

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 AM

348 posts, read 434,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wouldn't second guess Cobb County. People up there are smart and they didn't get to where they are by spending a bunch of money they don't have.
Wow really? Cobb didn't invest in a REAL TRANSIT SYSTEM in the 70s in MARTA so what did the smarties of Cobb do. The voted to get the crappy non Sunday running transit that only goes down the middle of the county CCT. Instead of having rail transit running down the middle of the county into ATL with routes crossing the county to give a real option they decide to run 14 bus routes from Cobb to downtown and Midtown. Why are they so interested in connected to ATL if Cobb does so well without Atlanta? And now they have to cram the interstate just to come into the city and create a traffic nightmare. Now 40 years later the alternative they come up with is add another vehicle to the existing traffic. .... and these are the people you are calling smart. The ones that connect to the system they hate so much in MARTA, start their own bus system that can't compare to MARTA even though they realize they need transit, and then clog the roads of Cobb AND the rest of the metro area because they have no real alternatives. Very Smart!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta