U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,382,615 times

Advertisements

Notre Dame is moving to the ACC.

Notre Dame to the ACC, but not in football? It’s still a big deal | Mark Bradley

But not as a full member...but close. Notre Dame will play all sports but football. But in football, they'll at least play 5 ACC teams.

The last time ND played at Tech, the GT campus was crazy with activity. The only thing that tops it is the Georgia/Georgia Tech game. Now that's insane, especially at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,648,328 times
ND-GT used to be a big rivalry, so was GT-Auburn which when we played them around the same time was also crazy.

It's a good deal for the ACC, it's a great deal for ND.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,813,514 times
Good move for the ACC...I can see ND joining all the way in the not-so-distant future.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

7,496 posts, read 4,271,907 times
ND will never join any conference in football. They don't want to share the TV revenue. ND has fallen off and is irrelevant in college football.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM

2,370 posts, read 1,371,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
ND will never join any conference in football. They don't want to share the TV revenue. ND has fallen off and is irrelevant in college football.
Hate, hate, hate.

They are a national brand that plays a national schedule. Their brand is easily in the top 5 in college football STILL despite their recent record. While they might not compete for a national title, they are still much more relevant to most of the country than most schools that are competing for titles.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,382,615 times
Notre Dame is the team everyone wants to play because everybody hates Notre Dame.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That's not hate, its the truth, truth, truth! How many little kids now root for ND? I grew up watching Miami in the 80's putting spankings on ND. Then please tell why ND would join the ACC in everything, but football? All other 'national brand' teams are part of a conference, what makes ND so special?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 AM

2,370 posts, read 1,371,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's not hate, its the truth, truth, truth! How many little kids now root for ND? I grew up watching Miami in the 80's putting spankings on ND. Then please tell why ND would join the ACC in everything, but football? All other 'national brand' teams are part of a conference, what makes ND so special?
A national fanbase.

Alabama, LSU and Georgia have fans in the southeast. Notre Dame has always played a national schedule and has a fanbase that is spread throughout the country. Has ND ever played in front of an empty stadium? Look at some of the places they have played 'neutral site' games. Ireland, Chicago, Orlando, San Antonio, Phoenix, etc. Who else does that on an annual basis? No one has a schedule that is even close to comparable to theirs in national exposure.

Look who and where they play this year. They are more than a football team like those other schools are. They are a brand that encompasses both tradition of football and educational excellence. Sure they would like to be winning championships, but I think they would be fine going 9-3 every year if it meant they could continue to play their national schedule and increasing their brand exposure around the country.

Are they irrelevant on a national title perspective? Yes. Are the irrelevant to college football? Absolutely not. To think anything otherwise indicates an absolute ignorance toward the economic link between higher education and athletics. I'm far from a ND fan, but I understand what their value is and why they value their independence.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Alabama, LSU and Georgia have fans in the southeast. Notre Dame has always played a national schedule and has a fanbase that is spread throughout the country. Has ND ever played in front of an empty stadium? Look at some of the places they have played 'neutral site' games. Ireland, Chicago, Orlando, San Antonio, Phoenix, etc. Who else does that on an annual basis? No one has a schedule that is even close to comparable to theirs in national exposure.
Hate to tell you, but Alabama has a national following, UGA and other SEC teams, NO. Teams that have been constantly good over decades develop national followings, like ND and Miami.
Quote:
Absolutely not. To think anything otherwise indicates an absolute ignorance toward the economic link between higher education and athletics. I'm far from a ND fan, but I understand what their value is and why they value their independence.
Never said that. I think what ND did for college football is great, but to join a conference in everything but football is unfair and egotistical.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM

64 posts, read 37,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Hate, hate, hate.

They are a national brand that plays a national schedule. Their brand is easily in the top 5 in college football STILL despite their recent record. While they might not compete for a national title, they are still much more relevant to most of the country than most schools that are competing for titles.
I can agree with most of what you said about them being a national brand BUT Notre Dame and thier fans needs to drop this notion that they are somehow relevant in 2012. Sorry but when you dont win ANYTHING in over 20 years your past accomplishments start to seriously fade. I mean do you think that any of the 4 or 5 star recruits that are coming out of high school now look at Notre Dame? None of them were even born when Lou Holtz coached them to their last National Championship and in todays college football world the top recruits go to where they will win and that aint ND. Bottomline is that Notre Dame needs a SERIOUS slice of humble pie and the ACC should have told them to go pound sand when they said they were coming to the ACC except in football. This whole thing reflects poorly on the ACC for letting them in just as it did in regards to the SEC letting sorry Mizzou and A&M in just for more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: