Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The side that I pick is MARTA is pretty reasonable mass transit for a city with the size and sprawl of Atlanta.

I'd like it to be a lot better. However, it seems like anytime you make suggestions for it to be better, you are met with a bunch of people who will tell you how great it his, how high the ridership is, and how well run it is. I suppose some people are really happy with MARTA the way it is. I happen to think it has a ton of room for improvement and that starts with management.

Braves games are a perfect example. You don't necessarily need more resources to improve shuttle service to the station from the stadium, simply divert existing resources. All you have to do is know when the games are and alter the schedules of existing nearby routes. If a few extra buses in the area took 30 or 45 minutes out of the schedule to make one run from the stadium to the station, it would help a lot. And you don't need additional resources, just someone who knows how to juggle the resources that you already have.
Yeah, I bet they've never thought about the number of buses they might need for the shuttle. They probably just wing it.

I'm pretty sure that the people in charge of such things DO think about it ahead of time. This is not a new concept. And as I posted before, I have used the Braves shuttle many dozens of times and have never had to wait on it either to or from Turner Field. It's been very efficient in my experiences, so why would I feel it needs to be improved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
Quote:
Yeah, I bet they've never thought about the number of buses they might need for the shuttle. They probably just wing it.
If a signifcant number of people feel inconvenienced enough by the wait times to board the suttle bus then there are not, by defintion, enough of them.

Judging by the number of people who choose to drive to the games, that number must be significant.

Would you admit to MARTA doing anything wrong, or is it just perfectly dandy in your eyes aside from it not going to Cobb or Gwinnett because those evil David Duke worshipping suburban dwellers voted it down because they were afraid that black people might ride it to their neighborhoods?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If a signifcant number of people feel inconvenienced enough by the wait times to board the suttle bus then there are not, by defintion, enough of them.

Judging by the number of people who choose to drive to the games, that number must be significant.

Would you admit to MARTA doing anything wrong, or is it just perfectly dandy in your eyes aside from it not going to Cobb or Gwinnett because those evil David Duke worshipping suburban dwellers voted it down because they were afraid that black people might ride it to their neighborhoods?
Where do you get this "significant number of people" figure? Your imagination? Do you have a source you can link to? So far in this thread there has been you and one other person complaining...I believe the remainder that have commented thought it was pretty efficient.

Stop putting words in my mouth...I never said MARTA was perfect - we're talking about one shuttle here. Now you're just making stuff up to try to prove your inane point. Some people, and apparently you're one of them, are constant complainers about MARTA and seem to think it should be this utopian transit system that doesn't and will never exist. This is the real world...there will always be some issues with any system. They all have issues and people who sit around and complain about them.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Your girlfriend is cute gtcorndog.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-16-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
I only complain about the issues wth MARTA that could easily be solved with competent management.

I understand that it goes where it goes. I understand it has to work within the framework of a budget. I get that it has certain limitations that is has to work within.

There are a lot of problems with MARTA that could be solved without more money and without more track, just with good ideas. Those are the problems that concern me.

Besides, I try to only comment on MARTA when it is the actual topic on hand. This is a thread about development of a parking lot at a stadium, you're the one that hijacked it and turned it into a thread about MARTA, not me.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,349,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Your girlfriend is cute gtcorndog.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,048 times
I am thinking about taking it to Music Midtown as well, haven't decided for sure yet though.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,044,657 times
I like taking Marta to the games but having options is good. I don't think the plan calls for getting rid of parking, like many city stadiums there would be parking garages and other parking around. I am sure the Braves would not support a plan that reduced parking, given many of their fans drive from out of town and for obvious reasons are going to drive to the game. Its more about reconfiguring the area and providing a vibrant place for fans and others.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,758 times
The Article I read talked about building a streetcar from the stadium to downtown, this would be great if it had a dedicated lane and continued on to grant park.

I would like for them to turn the old playing feild of AFCS into a ball feild again, along with a memorial to Hank Aaron.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,366 times
So, why wasn't a MARTA station built for AFCS in the first place? I've never actually heard an explanation for that. It doesn't seem like it would have been too much trouble for the line to continue straight south from Garnett then curve back towards West End. And AFCS got more year-round use than either the Dome or Turner Field with both the Braves and Falcons and major concerts/monster truck fests.

I really hope things can get going around Turner because it's such a great stadium stuck in such a sad spot. Parking should have been decked along time ago. At least put a little fan plaza close by like the one right outside the Nats' stadium. Or just keep on being the City of Parking Lots, Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta