Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times

Advertisements

ATL definitely is not a police state. It's more like the opposite where you can do just about anything and get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
A "military, police state"? How so?
My thoughts exactly. But let's not stop them from going back the wonderful, free, Northern. Why, they might just consider residing in the fair New York City...where the NYPD has a secret police task force that profiles, detains without charge, and intimidates Muslims and muslim looking people:

NYPD secret police spying of Muslims ends New Jersey surveillance | World news | guardian.co.uk

PS, that's not just biased reporting. On recent trip I saw the said task force pull people over three times. The most shocking was a middle aged couple who's only crime was the man was wearing a turban and driving a nice car in a working class neighborhood.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Interesting. It sounds like a lot compared to other cities it's size. As many as Long Beach, CA and Miami combined, but I guess that geographically Atlanta is over twice the size of both of those. On a per capita basis only a handful of major cities have that many officers (NY, Chicago, DC, maybe a few others). I guess when you consider that Atlanta is actually only a city of 450,000 or so, but is the center of a much larger metro area it makes some sense. There's much more going on in Atlanta compared to Long Beach or El Paso, but I dunno...still sounds like a lot. Maybe improving policing techniques by using things like Compstat as other cities have done might be more cost efficient.
WHile the resident population is "small" (half a million isn't really that small), we do have a very large daytime population that almost doubles during the week each day. We're also a large convention and event location with millions of tourists each year. I actually think 2000 cops is too small for the task at hand, but this is a good development none the less.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
They wouldn't need so many cops if they were doing something besides picking up every homeless person or guy who had a beer outside and throw him in the detention center and try and get a couple hundred dollars or even 1,000 from em.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
APD does a great job. The guys at Zone 6 really care about the residents and neighborhoods they patrol. They always make it to KNO and NPU-O meetings every month.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I see you can never please everyone. Years back when it weren't this many police everybody said the city was going down hill/etc and now that we have enough police we are a police state lol
I'm really glad we're getting more officers in Atlanta. As others have said, the city gets a ton of visitors and daytime workers and students that it has to deal with.

It just seems to me that in general society needs to make sure we don't become over-policed and over-criminalized. I know those are big social questions but it's important to stay alert.

APD does an excellent job overall.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
One would think that the combination of a high unemployment rate and thousands of military men and woman returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, Atlanta would have no problem recruiting police.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM

18 posts, read 30,158 times
Unfortunately many of the returning veterans will not qualify for one reason or another, partially due to the liberal "police state" types who seem to be taking over the country. They are afraid of having officers on the street that won't put up with the increasing disrespect being shown to the badge.

Anyways, please don't believe the hype about reaching 2,000 officers. They are hiring people that could NEVER get hired in a city that supports its officers or pays well (i.e. Chicago, Boston, New York, Pittsburgh, Portland, LA, etc.). This magic number is nothing more than a smokescreen, and a way for a certain someone to pat himself on the back and look like he's accomplished something.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneJ213 View Post
Unfortunately many of the returning veterans will not qualify for one reason or another, partially due to the liberal "police state" types who seem to be taking over the country. They are afraid of having officers on the street that won't put up with the increasing disrespect being shown to the badge.
Are people fresh from foreign combat the best candidates for your local police force? US citizens might think they should not be treated the same as Iraqi and Afghan civilians.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneJ213 View Post

Anyways, please don't believe the hype about reaching 2,000 officers. They are hiring people that could NEVER get hired in a city that supports its officers or pays well (i.e. Chicago, Boston, New York, Pittsburgh, Portland, LA, etc.). This magic number is nothing more than a smokescreen, and a way for a certain someone to pat himself on the back and look like he's accomplished something.
U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta