Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 11,114 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job offer in the area and we know nothing about Atlanta. I am looking up apartments online, but it is overwhelming. Here are some details:

Job is is Decatur near the MARTA station
No kids, but need dog friendly
Looking for 1 bedroom under $1500 month

We are from DC and use the metro all the time. Is MARTA just as nice/safe as the metro? If so, we would like to live walking distance to a station so he can take it to work.

Ideal would be at a marta station walking to stores, restaurants, bars etc., but I do not know if that exists, so I am also looking for advice on nice apartments with the shortest commute to his job. We prefer newer luxury apartments with amenities, but hey.. It is only for a year until we learn the area, so we are flexible.

Any assistance is appreciated, and will help us narrow down the search.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 12:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,990,938 times
I would recommend Post Parkside ATL on 10th St. You would be in Midtown, next to Piedmont Park and around 4 blocks away from the Marta Station.

I would also recommend Inman Park

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 09-16-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 12:29 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,948,940 times
1 bedroom for $1,500/mo? That's a DC housing budget right there, and thus easily doable in Atlanta. Two brand new highrise apartment towers are opening in Midtown soon, meeting all of your requirements and within your budget.

Nonetheless, I would recommend looking in Decatur itself. Numerous rentals should be available within walking distance of the square. Decatur has got to be one of the highest quality-of-life places in the whole metro: quiet, safe, diverse, fantastic dining, and so forth. The place you're describing as your ideal place to live is Decatur.

Midtown also would work well (far more urban than Decatur), but you'll confront the limitations of MARTA quickly. Trains running from 5 Points to Decatur only go every 15 minutes, meaning that he'll need to plan his commute a bit more carefully than he could otherwise get away with. On weekends, MARTA's level of service is unfortunately cut to the bone (welcome to the deep south!).

MARTA is statistically very safe, but many people perceive crime simply because the East-West line (which goes to Decatur) is pretty heavily African American in ridership (North-South line north of Five Points is much more diverse).

I wouldn't bother driving to MARTA to get to Decatur if you're living intown. There just aren't that many commutes where it would make sense to do that unless you're commuting in from the burbs. If you live within walking distance of a MARTA station, it's a different ballgame.

Honestly, most people in your situation would look for a 2 bed 2 bath in that budget, ditch the MARTA requirement (which limits your choices greatly), and drive everywhere. But if you're fine in a 1/1 and want to take the train, I say go for it. Finding a 2/2 that meets all of your requirements (particularly luxury amenities and location) will be difficult, but perhaps not impossible.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks! Any specific apartment communities in Decatur you would recommend?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,817,247 times
The Artisan in downtown Decatur might have some condos for rent, which would be a pretty spectacular commute (it's about a block from the MARTA station, likely a several minute walk to wherever he is working). It's not cheap (here is a 1/1 for $1500), but it's an A++ location if you want short walks to work, some of the best dining and entertainment options around, as well as staples such as pharmacy and grocery stores.

I'd look at Decatur and eastward along the MARTA line. I'd try to avoid having to transfer trains if using MARTA is the goal. Candler Park and Inman Park should have some options, but it might be difficult to find the "luxury" amenities as they will be smaller and older buildings.

I'll toss out some others I found quickly that might fit your criteria.
AWESOME 2BD/2BA Loft in Candler Park
Beautiful split level loft
Very large 1 bedroom duplex
**Loft in great Inman Park location
Highland Walk 2bed/2bath apartment available Nov 1

Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,032,324 times
You want to look at The Artisan and 335 West Ponce in Decatur.
I just turned down a place at 335 West Ponce which was a 2BD/1BA, so that place is probably still available.
Also consider places in Avondale Estates, or up by Emory.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Checkout apartments or homes for rent in Kirkwood. Accessible by 2 MARTA Stations, 5 parks within the neighborhood https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kirkw...orgia&t=m&z=15. Very dog friendly area with local pet store, day-care, and training shop. Safe neighborhood with lots of young professionals. Located south of DeKalb Ave from Candler Park, cheaper than Candler Park so your money will go farther. Walkable neighborhood, with big-box retail area 1-2 miles east at Edgewood Retail District.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM

26 posts, read 45,836 times
I'm also from the DC area who recently moved to Atlanta. I have enjoyed living in Midtown and I barely use my car.

I marta to work, marta to airport, walk to the grocery store, walk to the dentist, walk to the eye doctor, walk to restaurants, walk to the park.

I have to drive to walmart/target/general shopping though. That stuff isn't close to Midtown.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks for all of the advice!!! This will allow me to really get the most out of the house hunting trip.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM

738 posts, read 1,373,192 times
Another vote for downtown Decatur. Lots of shops and restaurants, and it's typically very dog-friendly, but most of all - a walkable commute in Atlanta is exceptional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta