Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 10,087 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'd like as much info as possible (schools/education, community, crime rate, a good church christain/baptist), shopping, affordable or income based children sport/activities, etc.) In the area of Forest Park, GA zipcode 30297. My son (8) and I (27) will soon be moving from Los Angeles with my boyfriend to this area. I've been coming back and forward for the last year now but to the lawrenceville Gwinnett area, which I'm more familiar with. I've read some okay and not so swell things about Clayton County. I'd really like to hear the good bad and ugly from current or former residents but all opinions and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Are you are of the schools situation in Clayton Co, and the problems they had not too long ago.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 PM

8 posts, read 13,875 times
I wouldn't recommend Forest Park or most places in Clayton County. It's not very diverse, schools aren't great, public transportation is an issue, and the area just always feels so depressed. I have family that lives in the area so I've spent a fair amount of time in Jonesboro, Riverdale etc. But never actually lived there. What made you pick Forest Park?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
Well to be brutally honest...

The good: proximity to the airport and lake Spivey

The bad: pretty much everything else

The ugly: Clayton county

While not the worst place in the metro (that honor goes to Vine City), I think Clayton County is the worst overall county in the area. Public schools from what I understand are terrible there, the county recently did away with public transit altogether, it's not diverse (99% African American), feels slightly run down everywhere, and there aren't really that many high quality jobs there. I can think of only one nice area in Clayton and that is the area around lake Spivey but most of those houses are well out of the price range of the average person (I'm talking mansions on the lake with private docks).

I'm curious as to why this was your first choice too. Honestly, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I'm trying to think of something in Los Angeles that I would compare to Forest Park, but I haven't been to enough of the bad parts of LA.

Maybe the Wal-Mart in Torrance is close.

Time to have a serious talk with your boyfriend and see if you can make him reconsider his terrible choice of where to live in metro Atlanta. I would home school before I'd put an 8 year old in Clayton county schools.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Let's put it this way! I have friends who are black (i'm hispanic) and are from the Liberty City area of Miami and currently live in Clayton county. They are thinking of moving back to Miami and all of it's ghetto nonsense instead!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
There are plenty of.other places to move to.here instead..that's like moving to LA and living in south central instead of.Santa Monica

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 09-17-2012 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissyBee_27 View Post
Hello everyone!

I'd like as much info as possible (schools/education, community, crime rate, a good church christain/baptist), shopping, affordable or income based children sport/activities, etc.) In the area of Forest Park, GA zipcode 30297. My son (8) and I (27) will soon be moving from Los Angeles with my boyfriend to this area. I've been coming back and forward for the last year now but to the lawrenceville Gwinnett area, which I'm more familiar with. I've read some okay and not so swell things about Clayton County. I'd really like to hear the good bad and ugly from current or former residents but all opinions and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thank You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Are you are of the schools situation in Clayton Co, and the problems they had not too long ago.
No please enlightened me.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Well to be brutally honest...

The good: proximity to the airport and lake Spivey

The bad: pretty much everything else

The ugly: Clayton county

While not the worst place in the metro (that honor goes to Vine City), I think Clayton County is the worst overall county in the area. Public schools from what I understand are terrible there, the county recently did away with public transit altogether, it's not diverse (99% African American), feels slightly run down everywhere, and there aren't really that many high quality jobs there. I can think of only one nice area in Clayton and that is the area around lake Spivey but most of those houses are well out of the price range of the average person (I'm talking mansions on the lake with private docks).

I'm curious as to why this was your first choice too. Honestly, I'd look elsewhere.
Thanks for the insight!

Well initially I wanted to move to Gwinnett (lawernceville, norcross or duluth) and honestly still do. Of Course cause I'm familiar with it and know its better living and schools than the the south side. Reason being Clayton county forest park is because my boyfriend insists it's more affordable bigger apartments for cheaper price and a easier commute to his job in Lithonia.

Last edited by CrissyBee_27; 09-17-2012 at 07:28 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissyBee_27 View Post
my boyfriend insists it's more affordable bigger apartments for cheaper price and a easier commute to his job in Lithonia.
There's a reason for that.
That's a real bad area.

The schools lost their accreditation in 2008 and was one of only 3 school disctricts in the entire country to lose accreditation since 1969 although they did get it back in 2009. They close a lot of schools. Clayco is the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta