Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
You know, I think that you're on to something. I work at one of Atlanta's many 24 hour hospitals. I doubt that other cities have hospitals that are open 24 hours a day.
I heard we have some 24 hour hotels in Atlanta too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta has over 130 Waffle Houses plus dozens of 24 hour krogers. I don't think most cities have over 130 places you can eat at at 5am including Vegas, Miami, New Orleans, DC and maybe Nyc

Sure they are spread out across Atlanta but technically we are a true 24 hour city by definition

I know the haters are going to be
Seems like you've never been to any of these cities. I can assure you can eat in NYC or Miami at 5am. Can you still drink at a club at 5 AM in Atlanta? You can in Miami Beach & if you still wanted to drink just cross the causeway into downtown Miami where there are a number of clubs with 24 hour liquor licenses.
Never have eaten at a Waffle House or seen one until I got to Orlando. Is it like a Denny's or a IHOP?

Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Seems like you've never been to any of these cities. I can assure you can eat in NYC or Miami at 5am. Can you still drink at a club at 5 AM in Atlanta? You can in Miami Beach & if you still wanted to drink just cross the causeway into downtown Miami where there are a number of clubs with 24 hour liquor licenses.
Never have eaten at a Waffle House or seen one until I got to Orlando. Is it like a Denny's or a IHOP?
There are Waffle Houses in Miami. You can stop in anytime you want and try it.

Yeah, we all know how important it is to be able to drink at 5 AM, so good for Miami. I'm not supporting the premise of this thread, but I've lived in Miami and it's 24 hour clubs do not give it some advantage over Atlanta. Anyway, I'm thinking a 24 hour city is more than places to drink.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-19-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM

397 posts, read 843,135 times
No need for this ridiculous debate.

Close thread.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
It's not even a debate.

There's really nobody on this board (at least, I hope!) that would believe that having multiple locations of Waffle House and Kroger make a city 24 hour.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Can you still drink at a club at 5 AM in Atlanta? You can in Miami Beach & if you still wanted to drink just cross the causeway into downtown Miami where there are a number of clubs with 24 hour liquor licenses.

Depends on the club and the county, but there is a club in EastPoint that stays open until 6 AM. The Atlanta metro area generally has a curfew until around 3 to 3:30, maybe 4 AM. It use to be better, but with all of the club shooting about 10 years ago, this has changed. Generally if you go OTP, you will find more flexibility with clubs, so finding a club that closes at 5 AM in the metro area (not particularly Atlanta) should be feasible. As for 24 hour liscenses, as long as your club keeps bribing the local city, that shouldn't be a problem.

Waffle house is a lower grade IHOP/Denny. The food is good for what it is though. It's mainly after club eating.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Nyc is not 24 hours. Everything shuts down by 10pm unless you are in times square or a tourist or nightclub district. You can't shop at Macy's, go to a play, go to a museum or buy fake clothing on Canal St at 5am. 95% of those restaurants close by 10pm
Bwahaha are you kidding me? My hometown is Atlanta and I love it, but I currently reside in Manhattan, and it is absolutely a 24 hour city. Everything shuts down at 10pm? Have you ever been here? There are more people out walking around on my block at midnight than there are at noon (absolutely not in a tourist or nightclub area).

Within about a 5 block radius of my apartment are at least 8 or so 24 hour delis. Not to mention several bars (last call at 4am). Oh and a subway that runs 24 hours a day.

Also, where in God's name are you getting this statistic about 95% of restaurants closing at 10pm? (wait don't tell me, you're pulling it out of thin air). I honestly cannot think of a single restaurant that isn't open till at least midnight, usually 1am, and often 2am or later on the weekends. This applies to everything from Chinese take out joints to middle of the road sit down restaurants to high end places. If you want crap food, there are two McDonald's within 4 blocks of me that are open 24 hours a day and deliver. I'm sure there are others, but the only real restaurant (i.e.: not Waffle House) open 24 hours a day that I'm familiar with Atlanta is R. Thomas in Buckhead.

And can you shop at Macy's, got a play or museum in Atlanta at 5am?

Last edited by Febtober; 09-19-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There are Waffle Houses in Miami. You can stop in anytime you want and try it.
Miami actually doesn't have any waffle houses. They have recently expanded to Broward (as they have to many places up north too) but Miami probably will never get any. It would be like an ATM machine for armed robbers.
When I was a kid I used to wish they'd get a waffle house but now that I'm an adult I don't eat there and haven't set foot in one in probably 20 years.

Walmarts are a pretty recent phenomenon in Miami too. Last 10-15 years or so.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
To be fair, while Marta isn't 24 hours, the train stations all close around 1 AM and open at 4 AM. So Marta still operates close to 20 to 21 hours out of the day. And honestly I don't think Marta could run 24 hours a day, since they need to clean the stations, and do work on the tracks. I guess they could make it single tracking after 12 AM, but I doubt many people would ride it at like 3 AM to justify having it 24 hours.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM

As usual on city-data, I was referring to the metro area of Miami...not the city limits.

Walmart is a pretty recent phenomenon in Atlanta too. I had never been to one before around 2004 or so becaue they were so far out in the suburbs. We didn't have them in NC when I was growing up either, so they are new there as well (at least in the cities they are).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta