Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM

8 posts, read 14,611 times

Advertisements

Hoping you guys can help me out on this one...trying to decide between living in Midtown or the Highlands, but I'm leaning toward the Highlands. Regardless I'd be renting in either one. Lived in Buckhead this past year, and it's ok but I'm trying to get outta there. I don't really know any places to live in either area so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions. Below is what I'm looking for..I'm pretty flexible in all areas.

1. Budget- $1,200 ish/month...somewhat flexible
2. Apartment or renting a condo crom someone
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)--I need to be able to get work done there, but it's not an issue unless noise is constant/terrible.
4. Children(public school vs. private)- no kids.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two?--I like the mix, which is why I'm leaning towards the highlands.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not really.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. I'm 25. Male. Caucasian. Straight...I don't really care, I'm not picky, but I'm not a big fan of crime...if that helps.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
The Highlands would be your best option. Look for apartments along Briarcliff Road and on the side streets off Briarcliff Road as you get closer to Ponce de Leon. The further north you go on Briarcliff Road, the more suburban in feel it gets.

You can have the urban/suburban mix and it gives you the option to go to bars/restaurants on N. Highland and Little 5 Points, but it's still very close to Midtown if you want to go there to hang out.

I am a single female and I lived in the Highlands for some years and would go jogging or walk to the store late at night, would leave my car doors unlocked, and I never had any problems. You can get something for under $1,000 if you get a 1 bdrm, but keep in mind that in that area the buildings are old, the units are typically small and may not have the latest upgrades or amenities if you care about those things. You will also most likely have to pay all utilities (i.e. gas, electric and water). Two bdrms start around around $1,100.

If you go further up north on Briarcliff then that's where the more modern apartment complexes are (going toward Emory and the CDC), but if you keep going north you will be in Toco Hills.

You would be on the No. 2 and No. 6 bus lines. There's also a bus that runs on N. Highland. At least it used to be. I don't know if it still does. But you can get to Inman Park/Reynolds Town, Edgewood and Midtown and Arts Center train stations from that area.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-23-2012 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks! great info. I should've had added that I'd like to be able to go running around the area. I've heard that a lot about the apts. in the highlands..about them being old. Do you, or anybody reading this post, know of any apartments that have new appliances or have been renovated? I've been told that there are a few different older looking apts that have been renovated, but it's kind of hard to tell from the outside.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoyd87 View Post
Thanks! great info. I should've had added that I'd like to be able to go running around the area. I've heard that a lot about the apts. in the highlands..about them being old. Do you, or anybody reading this post, know of any apartments that have new appliances or have been renovated? I've been told that there are a few different older looking apts that have been renovated, but it's kind of hard to tell from the outside.
I went jogging, many times at night, and I also played tennis in the neighborhood regularly at Candler Park and a tennis court off Euclid in L5P. I jogged all throughout the neighborhood, as well as in Freedom Park, and Deepdene Park on Ponce de Leon. On the east side of Briarcliff there are lots of stately mini-mansions (the Druid Hills neighborhood) so it's very nice and scenic for jogging or walking.

You will see people jogging day and night, rain, sleet or snow in Va-Hi.

The area is also up the road from Downtown Decatur which has restaurants and bars.

There are many property management companies that manage those buildings so I can't say for sure which ones have been updated. It's been over a year since I lived there. I would suggest either driving or walking around the neighborhood and getting numbers off the signs in front of the buildings. There is almost always property management info on or in front of the buildings or for rent signs, especially if you go along Briarcliff Pl. or Greewood off N. Highland.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
The Highlands?

Which Highland are you talking about/interested in--

Virginia-Highland or Poncey-Highland or both?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 PM

Preferably Virginia Highland, but I'm flexible.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Preferably Virginia Highland, but I'm flexible.
Judging between the two, I'd say Va-Hi has pretty much everything you are looking for, including the urban/suburban mix, especially because of the homes there and because it close to Decatur. That is just my opinion as a former long-time resident of Va-Hi and being familiar the surrounding area.

But check out both and see what you think.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Braden Fellman

Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Yeah, my preferences definitely fit the VA-Hi but it looks like the rental market there is a little thin.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my preferences definitely fit the VA-Hi but it looks like the rental market there is a little thin.
Where will you be working? Do you have a car want the option of MARTA or will it be MARTA only for you?

I was going to suggest that if you can't find anything in Midtown or the Highlands areas you like, you may want to see what you can find in Oakhurst in Decatur.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-24-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: