U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,736,468 times

Advertisements

I will be flying Orlando to Oakland via Atlanta and Salt Lake City. My connection time this Friday in Atlanta is 46 minutes. I checked the flight stats and this flight has arrived no later than the scheduled time in the last 14 days. I fly through Atlanta to Philadelphia and usually have a connection time of about 40 minutes and never had an issue. I understand it is cutting it close, but the flight was so cheap. Does this sound like enough time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,104,933 times
Yes that's cutting it pretty close and It would certainly make me uneasy but that's pretty much par for the course at ATL. Be sure to wear some comfortable shoes because you're going to be doing a lot of walking and/or running. ATL is the connection airport to avoid if at all possible.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,357,116 times
It's a little tight. If you are flying Delta there is a risk that you will have to high-tail it between terminals and that can take extra time, especailly if the Plane Train is broken. As long as your departure is in the same terminal building as your arrival (and assuming it arrives on time) then you should have plenty of time. If you have to change terminal buildings, then 46 minutes will be tight but doable.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM

1,794 posts, read 2,109,003 times
Right after you "deplane", there should be a gate rep for the airline who can confirm your next gate for departure and if the plane train is working

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM

2,328 posts, read 3,560,229 times
Check in advance the type of plane you are flying. From Orlando, this is typically not a commuter jet. To Oakland I would also expect it not to be a commuter.

If it is a "regular" size plane, then odd are you are coming in and out of the A or B gates which is not too bad. I would only worry if I was definitely going from a regular to a commuter plane because that could put you running from A to D gates.

Also, check the gates for the flights. You can check today and or tomorrow. Most flights stay in the same gates unless there is a specific reason. That will give you an idea of how far apart your gates are for your flight (not a gtd)

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Check in advance the type of plane you are flying. From Orlando, this is typically not a commuter jet. To Oakland I would also expect it not to be a commuter.

If it is a "regular" size plane, then odd are you are coming in and out of the A or B gates which is not too bad. I would only worry if I was definitely going from a regular to a commuter plane because that could put you running from A to D gates.

Also, check the gates for the flights. You can check today and or tomorrow. Most flights stay in the same gates unless there is a specific reason. That will give you an idea of how far apart your gates are for your flight (not a gtd)
Thanks! Yes, they are NOT commuter planes. I checked the same route for yesterday, the Orlando flight arrived on time at B1. The second flight left on time at gate A24.

Does anyone know if Delta can rebook me to a different airport if we miss the connection. There is a direct flight going to San Fran an hour after, San Fran/Oakland, doesn't matter to me.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 16,181,021 times
B1 to A24 is doable. If you can book it on the Delta website it a 'legal' connection. If for some reason you can't make the connection (your inbound flight is late).

(also keep in mind Delta know you are connecting on to that flight and may hold it a few extra minutes to allow for connecting passengers to get there).

Delta will auto/rebook you on to the next flight to Oakland (get new boarding pass @ the self server rebook area) , Just go to the customer service counter near gate A17 , and ask them to move you to SFO, I've never had a problem moving from one airport to another due to missed connection. (They have a CSC on each Concourse they have flight on).

Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM

2,328 posts, read 3,560,229 times
If you miss the connection, they automatically roll you to the next flight for the same airport. But if there is nothing or you are willing to go into another airport they will change the airport. This has happened to many several times on different airlines. But they only do this if you missed the connection.

If you are going to have so much luggage that it can slow you down, my recommendation is to check the luggage and carry on board just enough for the next 12-24 hours. The connection of the luggage becomes Delta's problem and if for any reason it does not make it, they will deliver it to your final destination. Of course you need to plan just in case and have what you need for the night. Luggage is often "delayed" but rarely completely lost.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. I called Delta and it is a legal connection. Hopefully the plane arrives early as it did yesterday! It would be great if we could get on the direct to SFO if we miss it. I usually don't check bags, but this time we have to, so I will make sure to pack some things for the next day.

I remember my connection in June was also 40 minutes and I had no issues. It was the first flight of the day though, so I'm sure it helped. Flying Friday afternoon might not be the same.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM

1,034 posts, read 983,442 times
Maybe you will get lucky and have just a few gates to sprint too..Whenn Flying through Atl I like to have at least an hour to connect... I hope you made/make the connection!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or