U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,392,414 times
Reputation: 2167

Advertisements

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lake Winfield Scott looks exactly like what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,112,155 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Lake Winfield Scott looks exactly like what I am looking for.
Then what you're looking for is a campground.

Just so we're clear.

Paved sites, picnic tables, fire rings... That's a campground. Some are quiet, others are filled with nedrecks and screaming children. You'll just have to get lucky and hit it at the right time.


You may come across some forest service campgrounds. They are hit or miss. You can't reserve them and they're usually without running water and electricity but they're very beautiful and quiet locations. (not always) check those visitor maps I was telling you about to find them in that suches area if that's where you'd like to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Then what you're looking for is a campground.

Just so we're clear.

Paved sites, picnic tables, fire rings... That's a campground. Some are quiet, others are filled with nedrecks and screaming children. You'll just have to get lucky and hit it at the right time.

You may come across some forest service campgrounds. They are hit or miss. You can't reserve them and they're usually without running water and electricity but they're very beautiful and quiet locations. (not always) check those visitor maps I was telling you about to find them in that suches area if that's where you'd like to be.
Fall is definitely not the right time if you want solitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,392,414 times
Reputation: 2167
Hmm, interesting. Usually the state park campgrounds in Minnesota are pretty quiet, even if they are drive-in camp sites.
I mainly want to avoid campsites where people are in drunk party mode, which is the default type of camping in Australia, where I last went camping. If there are other people there, that's ok with me, so long as they are kind of outdoorsy folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 AM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,112,155 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Hmm, interesting. Usually the state park campgrounds in Minnesota are pretty quiet, even if they are drive-in camp sites.
I mainly want to avoid campsites where people are in drunk party mode, which is the default type of camping in Australia, where I last went camping. If there are other people there, that's ok with me, so long as they are kind of outdoorsy folk.
Right but this isn't MN. This is GA where it's pretty common for every campsite to be reserved days in advance in some of the most popular parks. There is a lot of tourism in the north georgia mts in the fall.

That's why I avoid campgrounds if dispersed camping is available. I have been at quite a few campgrounds /rv parks across the south, midwest and midatlantic and the overwhelming majority of them were like jellystone in terms of crowds. Only a couple really were not busy. And there was a reason for it.

as JPD put it above...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Fall is definitely not the right time if you want solitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Hmm, interesting. Usually the state park campgrounds in Minnesota are pretty quiet, even if they are drive-in camp sites.
I mainly want to avoid campsites where people are in drunk party mode, which is the default type of camping in Australia, where I last went camping. If there are other people there, that's ok with me, so long as they are kind of outdoorsy folk.
I would think if you went in the Fall, in the middle of the week, you'd mostly come across people who want to enjoy the Fall colors. Older folks, mainly. I've never been car camping in any park in the south and been outside of easy view and hearing range of other campers. However, I've never found it to be a nuisance. Generally, when car camping, you're only at your campsite when eating or resting. The rest of the time you're out hiking. You'll probably hear some people sitting around their fire after dark, laughing occaisionally, but it shouldn't be disruptive.

BTW, if you're Australian, and some nearby campers starrt acting up, just tell them to be quiet. Americans think all Australians are like Crocdile Dundee, and they'll obey you out of fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,571,049 times
Reputation: 4046
I've never actually heard of "car camping". It sounds like something you could do anywhere...doesn't sound like much fun to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,112,155 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I've never actually heard of "car camping". It sounds like something you could do anywhere...doesn't sound like much fun to me.
Car camping just means you're camping with your car right there in close proximity.
That way you can have all your gear and supplies right there and pull right up to the camp site, There's minimal schlepping.

Some hardcore backpackers wouldn't consider car camping real camping. To each their own.

A distant relative to car camping is Boondocking, where you forgo the campground and any conveniences campgrounds normally have (like toilets) and find your own campsite. The main benefits of doing so are that number 1, it's free, number 2 you can find some pretty magnificent locations like mountaintops with long range vistas or near fishing or other things like that. There are definitely some risks though.
Some people do it in RVs and others head out in 4x4s to places RVs could never get to. The latter is akin to back country backpacking in my book, only you're doing it on wheels. It's really a pretty unique experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I've never actually heard of "car camping". It sounds like something you could do anywhere...doesn't sound like much fun to me.
Every state park I've ever been to has camping spots that include a parking space for one or two cars. Next to the parking pad is an area where you can pitch your tent, hang a hammock, etc. They usually have fire pits and picnic tables. It's by far the most common way people camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,571,049 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Every state park I've ever been to has camping spots that include a parking space for one or two cars. Next to the parking pad is an area where you can pitch your tent, hang a hammock, etc. They usually have fire pits and picnic tables. It's by far the most common way people camp.
Is that what he meant by "car camping"? That sounds like plain old camping to me...car camping sounds like something different, like maybe sleeping in your car. Okay, my bad then. I've never heard it called car camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top