U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Is that what he meant by "car camping"? That sounds like plain old camping to me...car camping sounds like something different, like maybe sleeping in your car. Okay, my bad then. I've never heard it called car camping.
Yes, that's what car camping is. Sleeping in your car is generally referred to as "sleeping in your car."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,539 times
I differentiated car camping just so I wouldn't have hardcore types telling me to hit the appalachian trail.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yes, that's what car camping is. Sleeping in your car is generally referred to as "sleeping in your car."
I have just never heard it called "car camping"...it was always just plain camping, and the other thing mentioned is called "hiking". If it's a commonly used term then fine, but I had never heard it used before and I've been camping all of my life. C'est la vie.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I differentiated car camping just so I wouldn't have hardcore types telling me to hit the appalachian trail.
Gotcha.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I have just never heard it called "car camping"...it was always just plain camping, and the other thing mentioned is called "hiking". If it's a commonly used term then fine, but I had never heard it used before and I've been camping all of my life. C'est la vie.
There's tons of snobbery in the camping world. I think that's where the car camping name came from. Like it's not "real" camping, or something...as if it even matters. More power to anyone who actually likes carrying an entire campsite on their back for miles and miles. Less power to anyone who would look down on people who simply want to pitch a tent (or sleep in ther car) so they can spend their time and energy hiking comfortably.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,099,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post

As you're finding out, you will have people tell you all the predictable remarks on this forum. No matter how you try to avoid it using clever language.

You have had someone tell you to hit the trail, and someone else tell you to hit the trail in a fourby.

Hey I threw an Aussie word in there.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There's tons of snobbery in the camping world. I think that's where the car camping name came from. Like it's not "real" camping, or something...as if it even matters. More power to anyone who actually likes carrying an entire campsite on their back for miles and miles. Less power to anyone who would look down on people who simply want to pitch a tent (or sleep in ther car) so they can spend their time and energy hiking comfortably.
Yeah, not my idea of a good time either, but I really enjoy "car camping". I'll take my hiking separately.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,740,838 times
3 hours? Pfft, try 30 minutes:

Cochran Mill Park

Pros: Very rustic, easy car access, nature center, hiking trails on easy terrain, you'll feel like a million miles away from the city, a nice little creek running through the preserve with a waterfall.

Cons: It's underneath a Hartsfield flight path, so every so often you'll hear/see an airliner go by on approach to land (though not loud). I'm not sure if it has worsened since it's been about 15 years since i've been there, but as I remember it the planes came by sparingly.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 AM

222 posts, read 615,453 times
I always wanted to camp at Squirrel's Nest in Unicoi, but they have other arrangements too:

Camping in Unicoi State Park, Georgia

Didn't read all the responses -- love Cloudland Canyon (my favorite), Tallulah Gorge, and Providence Canyon - you camp nearby at Florence Marina State Park.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 13,029 times
Didnt read all the posts but these are the places we enjoy.

Cloudland Canyon is the best! Great hiking and easy access to trails, clean restrooms and bath houses also! Cloudland Canyon State Park | Georgia State Parks

We just camped this past weekend at Black Rock Mountain State Park (GA's highest state park) it was really nice also.
Black Rock Mountain State Park | Georgia State Parks

I have heard that Vogel State Park is really nice and very senic.
Vogel State Park | Georgia State Parks

HAPPY CAMPING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or