U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,004,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
wow, what an extremely expensive solution that transit can easily solve.
I wonder how expensive it would really be per passenger when compared to rail-based solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 12:39 AM

14,391 posts, read 12,722,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I wonder how expensive it would really be per passenger when compared to rail-based solutions.
Rail base isn't a solution.

A train can't pick me up at my door, take me to the grocery store, then Lowes, then the shoe store......provide me space to stash all the stuff I bought.....and then drop me back home and wait while I unload all my stuff.

A driverless car could.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,756,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Rail base isn't a solution.

A train can't pick me up at my door, take me to the grocery store, then Lowes, then the shoe store......provide me space to stash all the stuff I bought.....and then drop me back home and wait while I unload all my stuff.

A driverless car could.
But how much extra infrastructure would driverless cars need to meet the same capacity as rail-based transit? If it's much less, and it costs much less, then yea, go for it. But if a transit line is STILL better than the driverless cars in cost per person per hour, then it should be the transit that gets built. Most of what you're talking about is last-mile type things, which would be handled by your private automobile anyways once you got off the transit, or you just wouldn't use transit to go to those places. Transit isn't a universal solution, but it should be implemented where it makes sense.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
But how much extra infrastructure would driverless cars need to meet the same capacity as rail-based transit? If it's much less, and it costs much less, then yea, go for it. But if a transit line is STILL better than the driverless cars in cost per person per hour, then it should be the transit that gets built. Most of what you're talking about is last-mile type things, which would be handled by your private automobile anyways once you got off the transit, or you just wouldn't use transit to go to those places. Transit isn't a universal solution, but it should be implemented where it makes sense.
It doesn't sound to me like these driverless cars will need any extra infrastructure, they would use what is already there, just as regular cars do.

These cars would mean independence for the elderly and handicapped. I think it is a wonderful idea if it can be perfected.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 AM

3,445 posts, read 8,539,119 times
Of course its in California. They are always way ahead in the future, just like Japan. I wish Georgia could be more advanced, but it is more like Italy, stuck in the 1950's.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM

4,940 posts, read 3,756,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It doesn't sound to me like these driverless cars will need any extra infrastructure, they would use what is already there, just as regular cars do.

These cars would mean independence for the elderly and handicapped. I think it is a wonderful idea if it can be perfected.
They'll need just as much infrastructure as vehicles today. Maybe a bit less. But what happens when the vehicles do exceed the capacity of a stretch of highway? Then we'll have to add another highway lane.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM

9,642 posts, read 8,745,657 times
Oh my gosh! What will I do when I can no longer complain (bitterly!) about driving my kids' carpool???? WOO HOO!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
They'll need just as much infrastructure as vehicles today. Maybe a bit less. But what happens when the vehicles do exceed the capacity of a stretch of highway? Then we'll have to add another highway lane.
So you add another lane.

Not everyone lives in high density cities that would justify the cost of mass transit.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,913,598 times
I dont think I can trust a car to drive me...unless its the Knightrider

Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,949,434 times
I'm out in Palo Alto/Mountain View for work and actually saw several of them cruising around town. One was a Lexus RX Hybrid and another was a Prius. Thought it was a StreetView car at first but the roof mounted rig was spinning super fast. Couldn't tell they were autonomous at all. Did full stops at all the stop signs and didn't mow down any pedestrians so I guess it's working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or