U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,118,048 times

Advertisements

Interesting if all this desire for mass transit rail might be usurped by driverless cars.

California governor signs driverless cars bill | www.ajc.com

California with Google's backing is pushing for it...and so far...they work. Couple that with smart traffic light control, that might solve our transportation problems. Rather than having human drivers selfishly making the decisions, computer controlled cars could cooperate and work with traffic control in getting us where we need to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,760,296 times
Does that mean we could take a nap or read a book while sitting in Atlanta traffic if the car does all the work?

LOL just kidding!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,705,971 times
I haven't seen any per-lane capacity figures, and until I do, I'm not going to support these. Even if everyone currently driving, could be placed into a self-driving car that can bunch up 5 feet from the bumpers of all the others at 100mph, I still think transit wins. Part of the problem with roads aren't just the accidents, or emissions, it's the road capacity per unit land area taken. If a hypothetical highway has a capacity of 4000 vehicles per hour per lane, and a hypothetical self-driving car highway has a capacity of 6000 vehicles per hour per land, and a hypothetical transit line has a capacity of 10,000 people per hour for the same effective width as a new highway lane requires, the transit STILL wins. So let's just carpool! Oh wait, it doesn't work now. Well how about self-driving buses? Well isn't that transit? I didn't limit my hypothetical transit line to rail, I'm open to bus transit where it works, and self-driving buses might be a good second-step for this technology.

To throw some numbers out to help compare, I-20 near Panola is 90 feet wide from emergency lane EB to emergency lane WB (NOT the total right of way!). MARTA requires an approximately 80ft total-width easement for a new rail line. A highway lane has a capacity of around 2000 cars per hour, so 6000 cars per hour for I-20 (the people going in, will need to come home). MARTA using 8-car trains, with 160 people per railcar on 5-minute headways has a capacity of about 15,360 people per hour. So I-20 has a capacity of 66.66 cars per hour per foot of width, MARTA has a maximum possible capacity of 192 people per hour per foot of width. For vehicles to compete directly with MARTA capacities using carpooling, would require exactly 2.56 people per vehicle at current capacities. For single-occupancy vehicles to compete directly with MARTA, would require the system to enable a capacity per lane of 5,120 cars per hour with three lanes. There are a couple of assumptions too. This also assumes no freight traffic (happens on MARTA, not on the highways).

Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,589,949 times
The thing is, I actually enjoy driving and I fee it makes time go a lot faster then when you're the passenger.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,168 times
Would that cause a lot of people to fall asleep? I love driving and only use cruise control when I'm driving out of town.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 AM

3,207 posts, read 4,506,672 times
It's definitely a interesting development.

It gets more Sci-Fi-ish when you consider that the cars can drive themselves. People could just get rid of their cars and GM/Ford/etc just become massive taxi companies. You request a taxi on your smartphone app, and a taxi pulls up to your house in a few minutes. You can either spend more on an empty one or less on a shared one with people who are going to a similar destination. No costs of car ownership, no parking garages necessary, roadway passenger throughout increased by an order of magnitude, roadway fatalities gone/lowered dramatically, etc. Could be a major development for humankind.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Does that mean we could take a nap or read a book while sitting in Atlanta traffic if the car does all the work?

LOL just kidding!
I guess...technically...yes!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionYears View Post
Would that cause a lot of people to fall asleep? I love driving and only use cruise control when I'm driving out of town.
So what? You are just the passenger. The car doesn't need you as its backseat driver. We probably don't get enough sleep so take that nap.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,555,055 times
wow, what an extremely expensive solution that transit can easily solve.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
wow, what an extremely expensive solution that transit can easily solve.
Driverless cars are far better in that transit has no where near the flexibility. Everyone can travel in a driverless car from door-to-door no matter where you live and at any time. And it might not be that expensive as we see it fast becoming a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or