U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,448,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I agree the developers could have done much better things with the land they purchased. Oh and the traffic it makes living in Buckhead feel like you are in the country.
I actually agree with you. I work often in our office in Alpharetta and sometimes have to go to the Johns Creek office about 5 miles away. It has taken me up to 30 minutes to get there and that wasn't even during rush hour. I live right smack in the middle of Buckhead and the traffic there does not even compare to what I see on a consistent basis in north Fulton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 AM

34 posts, read 190,487 times
Default positive side

I agree with some of the negative points

But on the positive side,

After Milton city, Johns Creek city has higest median household income in Georgia State

Johns Creek city has state's Top 1 public School 'Northview' and other 2 schools Johns Creek, Chattahoochee are in top 10 lists.

There is no other city/suburb in Georgia State which is sending 26% of their total students to top Georgia colleges GA Tech and UGA. Johns creek city (3 high schools: Northview, Chattahoochee and John's Creek high combined) is sending 26% of their total students to top GA colleges GA. Tech and UGA.

Top 10 High Schools with % Students Enrolled to GA Tech and UGA

1. Northview High School (FULTON): 28.6% (50+114 out of 573)
2. Chattahoochee High School (FULTON): 25.6% (43+66 out of 425)
3. Alpharetta High School (FULTON): 21.7% (40+82 out of 561)
4. Milton High School (FULTON): 20.5% (39+82 out of 590)
5. Walton High School (COBB): 19.2% (38+88 out of 655)
6. Lambert High School (FORSYTH): 19% (15+61 out of 400)
7. Pope High School (COBB): 18.7% (22+67 out of 475)
8. Lassiter High School (COBB): 18.3% (15+68 out of 453)
9. Johns Creek High School (FULTON): 18% (14+16 out of 167)
10.Starr's Mill High School (FAYETTE): 17.7% (23+54 out of 436)

Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 AM

616 posts, read 879,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshdwey View Post

After Milton city, Johns Creek city has higest median household income in Georgia State

Johns Creek city has state's Top 1 public School 'Northview' and other 2 schools Johns Creek, Chattahoochee are in top 10 lists.

There is no other city/suburb in Georgia State which is sending 26% of their total students to top Georgia colleges GA Tech and UGA. Johns creek city (3 high schools: Northview, Chattahoochee and John's Creek high combined) is sending 26% of their total students to top GA colleges GA. Tech and UGA.
A lot of this is because Johns Creek is a very homogeneous place. Its the same reason Sweden or Norway has better average healthcare outcomes than the US. Or why some countries do better statistically in education. When there is no diversity it is easy to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,365,137 times
I am guessing that most of the kids who get into UGA/Tech from Johns Creek schools would get into UGA/Tech anyways, from any other school as well. Johns Creek represents a kind of self segregation of transplants, and Asians in parts of Johns Creek. Nothing right or wrong in any of this, because people will do what they are comfortable with.

I think a good Johns Creek strategy might be to send kids to elementary and middle in Johns Creek, so they are at top of their game in their formative years. Be flexible at high school level, based on what the needs are at that point.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,357,862 times
Tonight we went two miles from our house in to downtown Woodstock and ate dinner at Pure Taqueria. While we were leaving my daughter saw a classmate of hers along with the rest of the family. Soon we we all across the street at the city park. The kids played together while the four adults had a very pleasant conversation until after 8 o'clock. The dad, we found out, is originally from Tunisia.

In 13 years of living in the Johns Creek area, stuff like that never happened to us. There is no central restaurant district, no city park, no single place where people tend to congregate, and not a whole lot of diversity. Now, in Woodstock, this sort of thing happens pretty regularly. It is why we left the "suburb" of Johns Creek and now live in an actual city and a real community.

Just sayin' ...

Last edited by billl; 09-27-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM

28,175 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshdwey View Post
It could be because of schools and family oriented. Schools are very good, all 3 Johns Creek high schools (Northview, Johns Creek, Chattahoochee) are in various top 10 lists. On the negative side, commuting is bad

Top Metro Atlanta High Schools SAT scores (2012)/ACT scores/GA Tech and UGA Admissions

*** Top 10 Metro Atlanta High Schools SAT scores (2012)
I always like to give a little shout-out to our hardworking intown students. They tend to get overlooked when these "Battle of the Schools" lists come out, even though they are often outperforming their suburban counterparts.

Not true that urban schools fail all students: Intown white high school students outperform suburban counterparts. | Get Schooled

That being said, what's not to like about Johns Creek? Keep it up, folks!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or