U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Reputation: 4045

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I'm not. I'd love Atlanta to host it, but the facility isn't even close to the same level as Dallas and Arizona. It lacks the weather of the other venues. I think from that list, Atlanta would have to be the longshot.

Oh look, some one knowledgeable agrees with me. Heck, he doesn't even mention Atlanta in his analysis.

First national playoff finale in 2015 limited to 6 bid cities, sources say - ESPN
Um, yes he does mention Atlanta...did you read the article? He doesn't support your argument in any way. The article is information only - no opinions - and it's actually the exact same article by Brett McMurphy cited in the original post.

"The four current BCS bowls -- the Fiesta in Glendale, Ariz., Orange in Miami, Sugar in New Orleans and Rose in Pasadena, Calif. -- along with the Cotton (Arlington, Texas) and Chick-fil-A (Atlanta) bowls will be the only sites that will have the opportunity to host the 2015 title game."
First national playoff finale in 2015 limited to 6 bid cities, sources say - ESPN
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,613,238 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't think you can think of much good about Atlanta, period. I have never seen a positive post from you about anything concerning the city.
I love Atlanta. It is home. However, the facility is not up to par with the others. The location/weather is among the worst on the list. It is what it is.

Quote:
1. If you've ever been to a game at the Georgia Dome you would know that it is one of the best places in the nation to see a football game, age notwithstanding.
It is a good atmosphere, but that doesn't generate money like Jerry World or other newer stadiums.

Quote:
2. You really can't cite weather as a factor anywhere...since we can't control weather it is always iffy, no matter where the game is held.

Of course you can. Look at the chance of bad weather based on location. Atlanta and Dallas > Miami and LA this time of year. Of course that should be a factor.

Quote:
3. None of the cities listed can hold a large event the way Atlanta can. That alone should propel us up the list.
What? LA can't hold an event? Dallas can't? Phoenix? New Orleans? Miami?

Atlanta does a good job, but it is probably middle of that list. That is a good thing. Acknowledging someone else is better doesn't mean you hate the city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I love Atlanta. It is home. However, the facility is not up to par with the others. The location/weather is among the worst on the list. It is what it is.



It is a good atmosphere, but that doesn't generate money like Jerry World or other newer stadiums.




Of course you can. Look at the chance of bad weather based on location. Atlanta and Dallas > Miami and LA this time of year. Of course that should be a factor.



What? LA can't hold an event? Dallas can't? Phoenix? New Orleans? Miami?

Atlanta does a good job, but it is probably middle of that list. That is a good thing. Acknowledging someone else is better doesn't mean you hate the city.
That's about the kind of response I've come to expect from you. Good job.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,613,238 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Um, yes he does mention Atlanta...did you read the article? He doesn't support your argument in any way. The article is information only - no opinions.

"The four current BCS bowls -- the Fiesta in Glendale, Ariz., Orange in Miami, Sugar in New Orleans and Rose in Pasadena, Calif. -- along with the Cotton (Arlington, Texas) and Chick-fil-A (Atlanta) bowls will be the only sites that will have the opportunity to host the 2015 title game."
First national playoff finale in 2015 limited to 6 bid cities, sources say - ESPN
Because all of this is based on opinions.

Did you watch the video?

Of course it is mentioned as a finalist. That is the ONLY mention of Atlanta in the article or in the video. Meanwhile, he discusses LA and Dallas in depth. That absolutely supports my point that Atlanta is the darkhorse candidate for this thing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,613,238 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That's about the kind of response I've come to expect from you. Good job.
What, well thought out and based on facts not blind 'rah-rah Go Atlanta' cheerleading.

Atlanta even being mentioned is a good thing. Saying that Dallas, LA, Miami ,New Orleans or even Phoenix being better locations isn't a knock on Atlanta. It isn't like I'm arguing for Detroit or something. C'mon son. Open your eyes and try to be logical.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Because all of this is based on opinions.

Did you watch the video?

Of course it is mentioned as a finalist. That is the ONLY mention of Atlanta in the article or in the video. Meanwhile, he discusses LA and Dallas in depth. That absolutely supports my point that Atlanta is the darkhorse candidate for this thing.
Simply discussing the other cities does not support your opinion...although I'm sure you want it to very badly. Atlanta is far from a "dark horse" in this competition, but go ahead and think it if it makes you feel good. I choose the glass half full approach.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,613,238 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Simply discussing the other cities does not support your opinion...although I'm sure you want it to very badly. Atlanta is far from a "dark horse" in this competition, but go ahead and think it if it makes you feel good. I choose the glass half full approach.
Show me a credible source that seems to support Atlanta not being a darkhorse in this bid process.

I'll wait.

Simply stating facts isn't a bad thing. Being in the final six is a good thing. Atlanta is a major destination for these events, but the Georgia Dome isn't going to get it done against those venues and locations. It is what it is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What, well thought out and based on facts not blind 'rah-rah Go Atlanta' cheerleading.

Atlanta even being mentioned is a good thing. Saying that Dallas, LA, Miami ,New Orleans or even Phoenix being better locations isn't a knock on Atlanta. It isn't like I'm arguing for Detroit or something. C'mon son. Open your eyes and try to be logical.
Is that your patented response to anything decent about Atlanta? Anyone who says something in support of the city is a cheerleader to some people.

Those thoughts are nothing but disdain for the city of Atlanta. Just go ahead and own it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Show me a credible source that seems to support Atlanta not being a darkhorse in this bid process.

I'll wait.

Simply stating facts isn't a bad thing. Being in the final six is a good thing. Atlanta is a major destination for these events, but the Georgia Dome isn't going to get it done against those venues and locations. It is what it is.
That is NOT a fact...and this is the only source available at the moment, so of course no one can show another source. Give me a break...just admit you can't stand for anything good to be posted about Atlanta and be done with it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,613,238 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Is that your patented response to anything decent about Atlanta? Anyone who says something in support of the city is a cheerleader to some people.

Those thoughts are nothing but disdain for the city of Atlanta. Just go ahead and own it.
Acknowledging that another city has better weather, a nicer stadium and the potential to generate more money is disdain?

Really son?

C'mon mane.


Atlanta beat all of the cities they should: "Indianapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, Orlando, Houston, San Diego, Jacksonville and Tampa"

Getting this far is a good thing.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top