U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,533,614 times

Advertisements

To me whether we get one of the two semifinal games is almost as important as getting the occasional championship game. The semifinal games should get nearly as much attention and fan travel, which is what matters. Plus we'll still have the SEC Championship Game, which is a fine consolation prize in any event. After all, how many bowl games have had straight sellouts for over a decade? Maybe a couple?

I would guess we probably get a semifinal one year out of three, and the occasional final game slipped in as well. Especially if we get a new stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,623,526 times
Not that I'm advocating it, but a new stadium certainly puts Atlanta up with Dallas (maybe even jumps them as the favorites) IMO.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,533,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Not that I'm advocating it, but a new stadium certainly puts Atlanta up with Dallas (maybe even jumps them as the favorites) IMO.
I'm not advocating it either, for the record. Just stating the facts as I see them.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM

984 posts, read 1,436,155 times
Quote:
I agree a new stadium would put all of this nonsense to rest. People here are really getting beside themselves. This is a college football event, not an international or national event. Essentially college football is ruled by the SEC and there is no better place for this event other than Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM

6,978 posts, read 9,665,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And the most valuable NFL team in the country. None of that hurt the Cowboys.
I read the subject of the thread to be NCAA playoffs and the pros and cons of the different locations. The Cowboys are in the NFL. Yes, they are valuable as a franchise. Yes, they have the nicest stadium in the country. And yes, their greedy owner in search of more profits for himself chose to go to suburban wasteland instead of much more vibrant locales within the city of Dallas.

So will the valuable Cowboys be hanging around to enhance Dallas'... oops ... I mean Arlington's chance at hosting NCAA playoffs?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,193,170 times
Quote:
Acknowledging that another city has better weather, a nicer stadium and the potential to generate more money is disdain?

Really son?

C'mon mane.

Atlanta beat all of the cities they should: "Indianapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, Orlando, Houston, San Diego, Jacksonville and Tampa"

Getting this far is a good thing.
Indianapolis didn't bid and would probably win once they decide to do so.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,623,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indianapolis didn't bid and would probably win once they decide to do so.
Which was a good idea if they didn't because they had no shot.

I got Indy's name from multiple reports that listed them as being interested in future games. I guess they decided not to bid this time. I thought the list went from like 12 down to 6, but apparently only 6 bid. I got that mixed up.

Quote:
According to the report, other cities expected to join in the bidding process for future title games include Indianapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, Orlando, Houston, San Diego, Jacksonville, and Tampa, Fla..

Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Which was a good idea if they didn't because they had no shot.

I got Indy's name from multiple reports that listed them as being interested in future games. I guess they decided not to bid this time. I thought the list went from like 12 down to 6, but apparently only 6 bid. I got that mixed up.
Indiana Sports Corp. already said they weren't interested right now, other things in the works. Normally Indianapolis gets whatever sporting event it bids on because that's what it does and good at it. Once they are done with what they are doing now, I'm sure they'll bid and let's face it sports and ATL really don't go hand in hand.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,158,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
They don't even play in Dallas County. Pitiful.
Definitely a slamdunk point. Dallas is to be pitied.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Isn't Atlanta the college football capital of the universe? Isn't that why the CFHOF is moving here? Isn't the Georgia Dome the No. 1 favorite venue for both players AND fans? What other football stadium benefits from large adjacent venues (Phillips Arena, GWCC) and attractions (CNN, Aquarium, Coke, Centennial Park)?

What other city has such a remarkable track record for hosting HUGE multiple events back to back and simultaneously even? Moving tens of thousands of people quickly and effeciently? Is served by the world's busiest airport -- which in turn is connected via subway to the event facility? Is the literal crossroads of the SE -- which has the most college teams currently ranked in the BCS Top 10?

BUT THE MAIN THING: Eastern Time Zone. You think they're gonna play these games out west? Forget about it!
N.O. comes to mind. Let's face it, they do a pretty decent job with Mardi Gras year in and year out and it has a hell of a lot more people (up in the millions). Any traditional convention city can pull that off without even trying for the most part because that's what they do. A literal drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or