U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,187,881 times

Advertisements

I think Atlanta will eventually host the championship game, but IMO it won't be the first year. My guess is that Atlanta gets it very soon after the new Falcons stadium is built. Here are my thoughts on the six finalists.

Pasadena: The Rose Bowl has the most history of any bowl game. It has historically been the most prestigious game. Southern California has great January weather and people will want to visit. Somewhat of a weather risk with an open air stadium. This is my guess for the location of the first one.

New Orleans: The Sugar Bowl is probably the second most prestigious bowl game. New Orleans is known internationally as a great party town. Decently warm weather in January. The Superdome is obviously enclosed, so game weather will not be a problem. My favorite part is that you can walk from the Dome to the Quarter. I have gone to a few Sugar Bowls and those are the best bowl experiences I have had...it is great ditching your car and just partying for a few days w/o worrying about driving, parking, etc.

Miami: Average highs in the mid to upper 70's in January, beaches, and the whole south beach scene, so it is arguably the best destination overall. The stadium is open (risk of rain) and kind of crappy plus in the middle of nowhere. The Orange Bowl is historically prestigious (less than Rose, even or just a notch below Sugar).

Glendale: Warm weather, but the city isn't as "sexy" as some of the others. Nice modern stadium with a retractable roof. Stadium is outside the city, but at least there is an "entertainment district" nearby.

Atlanta: Iffy weather. Average January highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Stadium is only okay, but it is domed and has a good location with good transit options. Atlanta isn't as "fun" a destination as Miami, LA, or N.O. but is okay.

Dallas: Iffy weather (similar to Atlanta). Stadium itself is supposedly quite a sight, has a large capacity, and has a retractable roof, but is in the middle of nowhere. Dallas as a city is the worst destination of the final six. Jerry Jones may be willing to spend a lot of money though, so I think even though it would be my personal last choice, it probably moves up the list as far as probability.

My guess in order of likelihood: Pasadena, New Orleans, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Glendale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,428,507 times
Entertainment wise Atlanta is better than every city in America except for LA and nyc

Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,183,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Entertainment wise Atlanta is better than every city in America except for LA and nyc
Definite opinion

Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,633,707 times
Quote:
Chicago, Las Vegas, Miami.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 PM

13,198 posts, read 16,036,309 times
Will the new Falcons stadium have a retractable roof? I haven't been paying attention. Otherwise, what's the point? Nobody is gonna sit outside to watch a football game in Atlanta in January -- NCAA NFL or otherwise.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:43 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,187,881 times
Quote:
I like Atlanta a lot, but I think you are way overstating. Atlanta might be in the top 10. NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, & Vegas I'm pretty sure would be widely seen as better. And in winter places like San Diego, Tampa, Phoenix, heck, even Austin, etc have an advantage b/c of weather.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM

9,610 posts, read 8,700,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago, Las Vegas, Miami.
Sports aside, Savannah.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,989,272 times
Id love to see Atlanta get the game, but they are in with some strong company. What's good about this is college ball played in a major city

Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,989,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Son? Please...I can't stand to discuss something like this with someone like you, so I'm gonna move on. Keep arguing about Atlanta's shortcomings like you do in everything you post. It's really attractive.

I would hate to have that kind of reputation on this site. Annoying is not a pretty trait.
bro, why you acting like that? You get way too emotional Bro & please don't quote me Bro I'm just saying.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:46 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,428,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think Atlanta will eventually host the championship game, but IMO it won't be the first year. My guess is that Atlanta gets it very soon after the new Falcons stadium is built. Here are my thoughts on the six finalists.

Pasadena: The Rose Bowl has the most history of any bowl game. It has historically been the most prestigious game. Southern California has great January weather and people will want to visit. Somewhat of a weather risk with an open air stadium. This is my guess for the location of the first one.

New Orleans: The Sugar Bowl is probably the second most prestigious bowl game. New Orleans is known internationally as a great party town. Decently warm weather in January. The Superdome is obviously enclosed, so game weather will not be a problem. My favorite part is that you can walk from the Dome to the Quarter. I have gone to a few Sugar Bowls and those are the best bowl experiences I have had...it is great ditching your car and just partying for a few days w/o worrying about driving, parking, etc.

Miami: Average highs in the mid to upper 70's in January, beaches, and the whole south beach scene, so it is arguably the best destination overall. The stadium is open (risk of rain) and kind of crappy plus in the middle of nowhere. The Orange Bowl is historically prestigious (less than Rose, even or just a notch below Sugar).

Glendale: Warm weather, but the city isn't as "sexy" as some of the others. Nice modern stadium with a retractable roof. Stadium is outside the city, but at least there is an "entertainment district" nearby.

Atlanta: Iffy weather. Average January highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Stadium is only okay, but it is domed and has a good location with good transit options. Atlanta isn't as "fun" a destination as Miami, LA, or N.O. but is okay.

Dallas: Iffy weather (similar to Atlanta). Stadium itself is supposedly quite a sight, has a large capacity, and has a retractable roof, but is in the middle of nowhere. Dallas as a city is the worst destination of the final six. Jerry Jones may be willing to spend a lot of money though, so I think even though it would be my personal last choice, it probably moves up the list as far as probability.

My guess in order of likelihood: Pasadena, New Orleans, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Glendale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I like Atlanta a lot, but I think you are way overstating. Atlanta might be in the top 10. NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, & Vegas I'm pretty sure would be widely seen as better. And in winter places like San Diego, Tampa, Phoenix, heck, even Austin, etc have an advantage b/c of weather.

Lol....u need to be a comedian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or