U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,313,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
Name one...
Enough with the broad brushing. There are tens of millions of Republicans in this country. If your suggestion is that none of them are intelligent, I would consider that quite delusional and no better than Romney's ignorant 47% comments.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 PM

4,245 posts, read 2,833,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Talk radio is market driven, pure and simple. It's about ratings. Conservative talking heads have succeeded in this media, and liberals have tried and failed and failed and failed again.
I think the reason here is quite simple. Conservatives, especially the bats hit crazy far right, love to hear their opinions validated by someone, especially someone really angry and loud. They want to know that their viewpoint is seen and accepted, and that they might actually be normal.

Most liberals, such as myself, have our viewpoints WITHOUT having to be validated by some yokel on the radio or TV. My opinions are formed by myself, not by what i hear someone on the radio or TV tell me to think. I have never, and probably never will, watch news opinion shows.

The reason I think this? Every time I hear conservative forum posters try to support some story or idea, they always use the exact same phrases as the other ones. It's like a bunch of parrots. I can't count how many posters on another forum of mine, on the same day, started using "BOOOOO HOOOOO!! WAAAHHHH!!" to respond to anyone who didn't agree with their point of view. Out of nowhere, a dozen different posters on several threads started this on the same day. They had to hear it from somewhere. Same thing with "We're kicking the can down the road".

I think this is why liberal media doesn't survive...we just don't care enough to listen to it. I'd also venture to say that most people that you would consider liberal couldn't stand listening to an extreme far-left radio show, as far left is way out there. Now, let's make sure that what I see as a little left, you likely see as way far left. Just as I see Fox News as way far right (as in nearing bats hit crazy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Enough with the broad brushing. There are tens of millions of Republicans in this country. If your suggestion is that none of them are intelligent, I would consider that quite delusional and no better than Romney's ignorant 47% comments.
Yes, obviously not all Republicans are stupid. Just the same that all Democrats or all Obama voters are not collecting government checks, as so succinctly put by LovinDecatur above. I actually do have a few hard leaning Republican friends (I try to limit them), and a few of them are indeed intelligent. They have their opinion on what they think makes the country great (vast wealth, record profits, trickle down, tax cuts for the rich, everybody on their own), and I have my opinion (better wages, universal healthcare with private options, a good social safety net, higher taxes). We all have our own opinions on what we think is the right way to go. Obviously, I think their way is stupid, but that is my opinion.

Last edited by samiwas1; 09-29-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM

478 posts, read 585,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I think the reason here is quite simple. Conservatives, especially the bats hit crazy far right, love to hear their opinions validated by someone, especially someone really angry and loud. They want to know that their viewpoint is seen and accepted, and that they might actually be normal.

Most liberals, such as myself, have our viewpoints WITHOUT having to be validated by some yokel on the radio or TV. My opinions are formed by myself, not by what i hear someone on the radio or TV tell me to think. I have never, and probably never will, watch news opinion shows.

The reason I think this? Every time I hear conservative forum posters try to support some story or idea, they always use the exact same phrases as the other ones. It's like a bunch of parrots. I can't count how many posters on another forum of mine, on the same day, started using "BOOOOO HOOOOO!! WAAAHHHH!!" to respond to anyone who didn't agree with their point of view. Out of nowhere, a dozen different posters on several threads started this on the same day. They had to hear it from somewhere. Same thing with "We're kicking the can down the road".

I think this is why liberal media doesn't survive...we just don't care enough to listen to it. I'd also venture to say that most people that you would consider liberal couldn't stand listening to an extreme far-left radio show, as far left is way out there. Now, let's make sure that what I see as a little left, you likely see as way far left. Just as I see Fox News as way far right (as in nearing bats hit crazy).

Yes, obviously not all Republicans are stupid. Just the same that all Democrats or all Obama voters are not collecting government checks, as so succinctly put by LovinDecatur above. I actually do have a few hard leaning Republican friends (I try to limit them), and a few of them are indeed intelligent. They have their opinion on what they think makes the country great (vast wealth, record profits, trickle down, tax cuts for the rich, everybody on their own), and I have my opinion (better wages, universal healthcare with private options, a good social safety net, higher taxes). We all have our own opinions on what we think is the right way to go. Obviously, I think their way is stupid, but that is my opinion.
Conservatives already have their opinions and they are not formed by lsitening to talk radio. The realities of life and not "economic theory" are what is the foundation of conservatives beliefs. Just look at the Metro Atlanta area - the Republican leaning areas along the northern arc of 285 offer the best publc schools and the most bang for the buck from our property taxes. On the other hand, look at Clayton County and the City of Atlanta and how much more is paid by City residents and yet when I drive on many city streets, it is obvious new paving is needed, but it is not happening any time soon, even though the property taxes are often almost twice as high as Cobb County.

Also, look at all of the major roads in Cobb which have landscaped medians which make the area look more attracive. I don't see this in the intown neighborhoods. Also, look at the public high schools - Walton, Lassiter and Pope in Cobb County as well as Chattahoochee, and others in North Fulton are often cited as the best public high schools in the state. Where are the equivalent schools in the liberal areas of the Metro?

It gets tiresome hearing the same trite comments on these threads that conservatives are a bunch of ignorant rubes, while the liberals in Iman Park and Kirkwood are the only educated people in this state when the reality is quite the opposite.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,919,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Conservatives already have their opinions and they are not formed by lsitening to talk radio. The realities of life and not "economic theory" are what is the foundation of conservatives beliefs. Just look at the Metro Atlanta area - the Republican leaning areas along the northern arc of 285 offer the best publc schools and the most bang for the buck from our property taxes. On the other hand, look at Clayton County and the City of Atlanta and how much more is paid by City residents and yet when I drive on many city streets, it is obvious new paving is needed, but it is not happening any time soon, even though the property taxes are often almost twice as high as Cobb County.

Also, look at all of the major roads in Cobb which have landscaped medians which make the area look more attracive. I don't see this in the intown neighborhoods. Also, look at the public high schools - Walton, Lassiter and Pope in Cobb County as well as Chattahoochee, and others in North Fulton are often cited as the best public high schools in the state. Where are the equivalent schools in the liberal areas of the Metro?

It gets tiresome hearing the same trite comments on these threads that conservatives are a bunch of ignorant rubes, while the liberals in Iman Park and Kirkwood are the only educated people in this state when the reality is quite the opposite.
Look at who the GOP is putting forward for its Presidential Candidates. GWB. John McCain. Mitt Romney.

Why can't they put forward competent representatives?

I find it amusing that you think everyone in Cobb is conservative and everthing good in that county is the result of that mindset ... I think you'll find that many of the more economically successful areas of the country are quite liberal (*cough* Twin Cities *cough*), and that there are plenty of liberal citizens in Cobb helping to make that county a better place to live.

Yes, it's true that wealthy people tend towards fiscal conservativism, but that isn't what the GOP (and much of conservative talk radio) espouses these days. Wake up and smell the new party..

Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,119,143 times
State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge.

State School Superintendent

He is one of the few Republicans who realizes what a con-job this whole charter-school debate is. In my honest opinion, he represents the type of old-school southern political moderate that have unfortunately been MIA in Georgia for a couple of years now.

Quote:
Name one...

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
JPD

11,874 posts, read 14,490,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Just look at the Metro Atlanta area - the Republican leaning areas along the northern arc of 285 offer the best publc schools and the most bang for the buck from our property taxes. .
Actually, City of Decatur, an extremely liberal area, is as good as or better than any place on the northern arc.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,385,621 times
Quote:
The people that listen to those shows are not interested in "well-balanced." They listen to support their one-sided, often wrong, "fair and balanced" viewpoint.
Its nice when people explain to me why I do things.

I'm not a Republican or a Democrat. Limbaugh makes for entertaining and (taken with grain of salt) good analysis of political events.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,101,011 times
All I want to hear is MUSIC!

NOT JIBBER JABBER!

That's why terrestrial radio has lost me as a listener and I won't be back.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM

265 posts, read 340,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge.

State School Superintendent

He is one of the few Republicans who realizes what a con-job this whole charter-school debate is. In my honest opinion, he represents the type of old-school southern political moderate that have unfortunately been MIA in Georgia for a couple of years now.
He's an life-long educator and not really a Republican politician, ie, a wing-nut. I would venture to say that he just labels himself a Republican to get elected in this state. It's too bad all the blowhards like Limbaugh, Hannity, and Cain drown out more moderate thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
All I want to hear is MUSIC!
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!

I love the new 96.1! It's just one search click up from 95.5.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,101,011 times
Quote:
I love the new 96.1! It's just one search click up from 95.5.
A week or so ago when there was all this hullabaloo about new radio stations, I decided to listen and during the course of a 15 minute drive, I heard the same song on 3 different stations.
I don't wait around and listen to the commercials, I just skip to the next channel playing music. So that worked out for me. Especially since I liked the song but apparently a lot of people don't like that?

This was the song...

Flo Rida - Whistle [Official Video] - YouTube

Where I'm from, a small town called Myjammy Flodda, there was only one radio station per format and many of them synchronized the commercials so if you thought you were going to be clever and channel surf, you ended up listening to commercials no matter what.

I just don't get the business model here. It seems to be, how can we make our station go out of business the fastest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta