U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,837,798 times

Advertisements

I would imagine running tons of ads is one of the few ways radio stations generate income. People don't listen to the radio as much as they use to. However one of the things that's annoying is a radio host continuously playing the same thing, and on top of that, talking during songs, or flat out not playing the whole song. It seems radio stations more or less are there to promote concerts and parties, and not to really play music. But whenever I do listen to the radio, I pretty much listen only to college radio.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 PM

4,945 posts, read 7,098,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
npr doesn't lean to the left.
It's neutral.

and in this day and age, if you aren't far right, you're a cotton-pickin' librul.
Glenn beck tole me so uh huh uh huh uh huh.
LMAO, but true.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM

13 posts, read 23,515 times
Pass the popcorn Thelma this thread is getting entertaining. Please don't stop with the politics, love it when Dem's and Repub's get together on a board, just love it.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM

265 posts, read 340,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I don't wait around and listen to the commercials, I just skip to the next channel playing music.
Same here, that's how I stumbled on the wing nuts. As a matter of fact, while cruising between 94.1 and 96.1just a little while ago, I heard a god-awful noise coming from 95.5. Did the rush start early??? He was talking about the "free Obama phones." You know, the program whose roots actually trace back to Reagan and and the break-up of AT&T and was actually started by under Bush, as in GW:

FactCheck.org : The Obama Phone?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,380,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
Same here, that's how I stumbled on the wing nuts. As a matter of fact, while cruising between 94.1 and 96.1just a little while ago, I heard a god-awful noise coming from 95.5. Did the rush start early??? He was talking about the "free Obama phones." You know, the program whose roots actually trace back to Reagan and and the break-up of AT&T and was actually started by under Bush, as in GW:

FactCheck.org : The Obama Phone?
Were you actually listening to Rush or did you get that on your daily check on thinkprogress.org
The Truth About The Obama Phone | ThinkProgress

Apparently the program for landlines has been around for awhile. The cell phone aspect started between August and September in 2008, under GWB.

And the phone companies don't pay that charge, it is listed on your phone bill. It is another tax.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM

265 posts, read 340,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Were you actually listening to Rush or did you get that on your daily check on thinkprogress.org
The Truth About The Obama Phone | ThinkProgress

Apparently the program for landlines has been around for awhile. The cell phone aspect started between August and September in 2008, under GWB.

And the phone companies don't pay that charge, it is listed on your phone bill. It is another tax.
Yes, as I said in my previous post, I was actually listening. It was very entertaining - for a few minutes. I never laughed so hard listening to him bloviate about the "free Obama phone." So I just had to find out about this so-called "free Obama phone" particularly since his disciple Sean likes to talk about it too. Google directed me from there. How do ya'll come up with this stuff...

Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM

28,138 posts, read 24,666,222 times
Getting el Rushbo on WSB is quite a coup.

I read that WGST may go comedy or Hispanic now.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM

20,941 posts, read 32,927,532 times
Do you not believe that the free phone is available to a large part of the non productive population? Want a free phone? Easy as pie. Is anyone here even remotely interested in what is happening in this country?
Even the prison population can get a free phone. I am working for a prison ministry. It shocks and outrages me.

Last edited by Iconographer; 10-01-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,116,155 times
Party labels don't necessarily match ideology, because decades ago you could just as easily have said the same thing about Democrats.

I've stopped paying attention to labels when I asked my Republican co-worker at one point if he would support removing the statue of long deceased Democratic Governor Eugene Talmadge from the Capitol grounds. My co-worker said no, and that Talmadge represented true conservative values & traditional agrarian politics.

Given that Talmadge had gotten Georgia's University system decertified by SACS and may have even played a role in encouraging an extrajudicial killing, what my co-worker said pretty much told me everything I needed to know about southern politics.

From that point, I slowly began to realize through several further similar observations that seeing politics in terms of political party labels was a distraction at best; at worst this simplistic view of politics is an obfuscation that hides what is really going on.

Just my two cents on this particular issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
He's an life-long educator and not really a Republican politician, ie, a wing-nut. I would venture to say that he just labels himself a Republican to get elected in this state. It's too bad all the blowhards like Limbaugh, Hannity, and Cain drown out more moderate thought.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,116,155 times
Why would a prisoner getting a free phone freak you out? You work for a ministry don't you?

Umm...WWJD?

I've read much of this man's travels in the good book and he just doesn't strike me as the type to get bent out of shape over a prisoner getting a free phone.

After all, you do realize that some people go to prison for crimes that don't involve harming people or theft & vandalism of property, right? Like possessing an ounce of the MJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Do you not believe that the free phone is available to a large part of the non productive population? Want a free phone? Easy as pie. Is anyone here even remotely interested in what is happening in this country?
Even the prison population can get a free phone. I am working for a prison ministry. It shocks and outrages me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta