Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 PM

322 posts, read 465,019 times

Advertisements

Not to mention the fact that it was reported on five years ago and was just as much a non issue then as it is now. Old news, move on...

More wing-nut misinformation. Can't wait to hear rush talk about this later today.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Great comments right here.

I grew up in the church and I have always been told that to live in the way of Christ is to have charity towards others and forgiveness. I find it hard to believe that a person can work for a prison ministry and yet be so hard-hearted & vengeful-minded about prisoners in a work farm receiving free phones. I have been the receiver of bible studies from some adults with that logic, and it's really depressing.

But then again, logic like that goes hand in hand with that of the Southern Baptists Convention and the unfortunately spiteful version of gospel that its traditional followers preach. Stuff like that is why so many young people(men especially) have been leaving the church in modern times.

Too many of the older adherents are stuck in the past of anger and spite, and the gospel of Christ to them is fear-laden & oppressive...rather than uplifting and freedom-oriented that the post 1964 CRA generations would like to see.

Just an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
See, this is why I have a problem with WSB adding rush to to their line-up (the original topic of this thread). At least you are owning up to your half-truth/misinformation. To just throw out there that prisoners are getting free phones led us all to believe you were talking about a maximum security prison. This is the same thing rush and sean do. Take a bit of true information and lead people to think the worst.

There is a difference a prison and a work farm. Generally, prisoners on a work farm have demonstrated an ability to be rehabilitated. Would you rather they be released from the work farm without any ability to join or re-join the "productive" world?

Do you think your god would approve of you spreading half-truths/misinformation?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I grew up in the church and I have always been told that to live in the way of Christ is to have charity towards others and forgiveness. I find it hard to believe that a person can work for a prison ministry and yet be so hard-hearted & vengeful-minded about prisoners in a work farm receiving free phones. I have been the receiver of bible studies from some adults with that logic, and it's really depressing.

But then again, logic like that goes hand in hand with that of the Southern Baptists Convention and the unfortunately spiteful version of gospel that its traditional followers preach. Stuff like that is why so many young people(men especially) have been leaving the church in modern times.

Too many of the older adherents are stuck in the past of anger and spite, and the gospel of Christ to them is fear-laden & oppressive...rather than uplifting and freedom-oriented that the post 1964 CRA generations would like to see.

Just an opinion.
If you think that is why they are not attending church you need to be informed. Young guys are not going to church because they want to be able to do you know what without guilt.

Also a lot probably do not want to get up because they do not have too. Ever notice why people with children are always at church because when you have a child there is no sleeping in on the weekends.

Helping inmates and giving inmates free cell phones are two different things. Just like feeding the poor and giving the poor cash.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
See, this is why I have a problem with WSB adding rush to to their line-up (the original topic of this thread). At least you are owning up to your half-truth/misinformation. To just throw out there that prisoners are getting free phones led us all to believe you were talking about a maximum security prison. This is the same thing rush and sean do. Take a bit of true information and lead people to think the worst.

There is a difference a prison and a work farm. Generally, prisoners on a work farm have demonstrated an ability to be rehabilitated. Would you rather they be released from the work farm without any ability to join or re-join the "productive" world?

Do you think your god would approve of you spreading half-truths/misinformation?
You can put lipstick on an inmate but they are still an inmate.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
But what I'm not getting about these new jack conservatives is that they are so lacking in pragmatism. Inmates that get jobs are less likely to recidivate. So you've got someone who goes from being a burden in society to being a tax paying citizen. Wow, all for the cost of $20 per month. Hmmm, isn't that cheaper that the $20k per year it typically costs to incarcerate people? We had a situation like this at the prison where I did clinicals. Studies show that attaining a GED cuts recidivism rates from 25-50%. Obviously GED. Attainment is a win for the community. Problem? A lot of inmates had terrible school experiences and didn't even want to try. Solution? Inmates who at least took the assessment test could buy ice cream at the comissary. Please note, this was not Ben & Jerry's. This was that crappy ice cream that comes with a wooden spoon. AND it cost a dollar for about four ounces, but they went for it. GED attainment soared. Then one of these radio people got the story and you can imagine how he spun it. The program went away and the warden nearly lost his job.

I'm far from a inmate codfler, but I am a pragmatist. Inmates don't evaporate into the ether when they go to prison. At some point they're coming back out. We have an opportunity to get at least some of them back on track. To, you know, becoming responsible tax paying citizens. Instead we're blowing it on some revenge fantasy where we can just keep locking people up indefinitely. What a waste of both money and humanity. What's conservative about that?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
You can put lipstick on an inmate but they are still an inmate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
How is this misinformation? These are inmates, paying a debt to society. Yet they are receiving a non-essential benefit that we are forced to pay for through our phone bill.
So give me a break. If anyone is bending the truth here, its you.
Some of the people in this thread think a cheap prepay flip phone with 100 minutes a month is too much for a work release inmate. What ideas do you guys have so these people can get jobs and not rob me with no form of contact?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

Just an opinion.
This statement is flat out ridiculous! What does giving someone a free phone have to do with forgiveness? And how can one be considered to be "hard hearted and vengeful-minded" just because they do not feel it is their obligation to provide others with a free cell phone? By this argument, we could say that "Forgiveness" means that we should give the former prisoners a flat screen T.V. and granite countertops in the kitchen. We wouldn't want anyone to get an inferiority complex in our therapeutic cculture where everyone's "self esteem" is the ultimate value of modern day liberalism.

To criticize the Southern Baptist Convention is totally perposterous when church members have way more generosity than those who don't attend. The Southern Baptists have done numerous disaster relief projects that I haven't seen the secularists lead. In fact, a study was done on charitable giving and Mississippi, the poorest state in the nation and with the highest percentage of Southern Baptists was rated the most generous, while secular liberal and wealthy Conneticutt was rated the least generous.

The entitlement mentality you expressed is what keeps conservatives fired up to remain conservative!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Do you not believe that the free phone is available to a large part of the non productive population? Want a free phone? Easy as pie. Is anyone here even remotely interested in what is happening in this country?
Even the prison population can get a free phone. I am working for a prison ministry. It shocks and outrages me.
I love how people think it is so hard to get welfare. I was at the property management company I use for some of my properties and a women comes in dressed very well(she had a necklace on that retails for 11k, I doubt it is a fake because it is not a common brand), three children very well(Polo, Lacoste, etc.), and an iPhone. After she leaves the person at the front desk tells me she rents such and such a house I own(I never allow my tenants to know who I am). Oh yeah the house rents section eight. And to top it off she was driving a new model Mercedes C sedan.

It's hard out there for those struggling welfare recepients.

It won't let me give you rep points.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
And what makes these radio people even worse is that they don't even believe the nonsense they're spewing. Limbaugh has made it clear that he's an entertainer, he says what he needs to say to get paid. And that, to me, is what makes him really a horrible human being. He says things that ruin people's lives, and he does it for a buck. There have been plenty of conservatives I disagreed with vociferously, but I could at least respect their well thought out and intelligent views. These people do nothing but pander to the lowest denominator. I was out in Cherokee county last weekend and can't tell you how many hate filled obviosly home made bumper stickers I saw on cars. I seriously fear a Civil War in this country and these people are the fuel. They're our "Radio Rwanda." it's unbelievably scary.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
But what I'm not getting about these new jack conservatives is that they are so lacking in pragmatism. Inmates that get jobs are less likely to recidivate. So you've got someone who goes from being a burden in society to being a tax paying citizen. Wow, all for the cost of $20 per month. Hmmm, isn't that cheaper that the $20k per year it typically costs to incarcerate people? We had a situation like this at the prison where I did clinicals. Studies show that attaining a GED cuts recidivism rates from 25-50%. Obviously GED. Attainment is a win for the community. Problem? A lot of inmates had terrible school experiences and didn't even want to try. Solution? Inmates who at least took the assessment test could buy ice cream at the comissary. Please note, this was not Ben & Jerry's. This was that crappy ice cream that comes with a wooden spoon. AND it cost a dollar for about four ounces, but they went for it. GED attainment soared. Then one of these radio people got the story and you can imagine how he spun it. The program went away and the warden nearly lost his job.

I'm far from a inmate codfler, but I am a pragmatist. Inmates don't evaporate into the ether when they go to prison. At some point they're coming back out. We have an opportunity to get at least some of them back on track. To, you know, becoming responsible tax paying citizens. Instead we're blowing it on some revenge fantasy where we can just keep locking people up indefinitely. What a waste of both money and humanity. What's conservative about that?

Yeah, I'm libertarian and even can't see any good in not giving inmates the chance to be productive citizens. I mean d*mn aside from how much cheaper it would be to NOT have to lock them up again becuase they could not assimilate back into society, I'd think most people would rather have less people trying to rob them.

Use your head folk. Does anybody look at the long term big picture?
You can be the most selfish person in the world and see how having rehibitated inmates is better for you. Use your head folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta