Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times

Advertisements

Been in the area for about a year. I use chase for most my tasks.

I'm looking for a credit union to get a car loan through. Looking for a place that won't have a minimum car loan amount.

Anyone have any good suggestions of places to research? I don't know any of the unions in the area.

I'm in Buford/Suwanee area.

Delta Community?
Georgia's Own?
Georgia Federal?
Georgia United?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
I recently became a member of Delta and opened a couple of accounts there.
Can't comment on them for car loans but don't have anything bad to say thus far. (Just give it some time)

Their branches all seem to be in krogers which I find disgusting for the most part. If you can get over that, then you'll be ok. They keep good hours. There's some other things that bother me a little like not having a night drop box for deposits.

You'll probably need to open an account and keep $5 in it to become a member. I'm sure the interest rates will be lower but you should shop around for sure. Megabanks like Chase are the worst.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
I have a Home Equity Loan with Delta Community - I live near one of their large branch offices (no Kroger).

Happy with Delta. Clark Howard highly recommends them

Yes, Credit Unions are best for car loans.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
The credit union I used for my car loan (Lockheed/LGE) was one of the two worst lenders I had to deal with in my bankruptcy a few years ago. The national banks were all fine with working out reasonable payment arrangements, but the credit union flatly refused, and communicating with them was a nightmare. Maybe credit unions have less float ability than the larger banks, even with secured loans, but they could have been less nasty about it, considering that I'd never even been late on a payment.

Nobody plans on bankruptcy, and I hope you never have to experience it, but it's something to consider.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
Any credit union should do for a car loan over most large banks. I think most CUs are easier to join nowadays than some years ago as many of them have opened up to most applicants.

I recall from previous CU car loans that your purchase needs to be a newer model car (less than 3 or 4) years old in order to get a loan with minimal down payment.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:36 PM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times
My experience in the past with CU's was a nightmare.. so i'm reluctant, part of why i posted the questions.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingGuy View Post
My experience in the past with CU's was a nightmare.. so i'm reluctant, part of why i posted the questions.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
If all you want is to avoid nightmares, pretty much any small community bank should also be in the running for your business. One that hasn't received bailout money and has a strong rating. It's the large banks and the banks on welfare that you should avoid in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: