U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 24,631 times
Default Small bugs that looks like cockroaches?

I moved to Georgia into my husbands' family's house after we married. In that house we had "waterbugs" which I learned were just cockroaches. They were very scary and I was relieved when we moved into another house.

Now in this new house we were getting a lot of free garden-fresh tomatoes from the neighbor. We were getting them so frequently that we were unable to eat them fast enough and sometimes they rotted on the counter before we were able to throw them away. Around this time I noticed small bugs showing up. They were kind of small and looked nothing like water bugs so I figured they were somewhat like gnats and that if I kept up with the tomatoes and made sure to throw them out that they would go away. But now its been weeks since then and we've stopped getting tomatoes. The bugs are still here. They usually only come out at night though when all the lights are out. This behavior, I remember, is very similar to how the waterbugs acted.

Are these cockroaches as well? They vary in size from very tiny to about a little under an inch big. The color of them varies as well. The larger ones seem to be a lighter brown while the smaller ones are a dark brown with a light colored spot on them. They have wings but I never see them use them.

I would really like some advice on how I can get rid of them. I have no experience with a lot of the southern bugs especially cockroaches. I was raised in the north and I'm still trying to get used to this southern living.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM

1,648 posts, read 1,587,363 times
Waterbugs (Palmetto bugs) generally refer to American Cockroaches or Oriental Cockroaches. These insects like moist or damp areas. For those of us that grew up in the South they annoy us but don't freak us out. You can have a very clean home and still get the occasional waterbug.

German Cockroaches are much smaller and what you typically associate with filth. If this is the bug that you think you are seeing at night, I suggest you do a full deep cleaning of your kitchen and seal off any openings. There is nothing uniquely southern about German Cockroaches and this is a problem you need to take care of sooner rather than later.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM

736 posts, read 595,802 times
Yep, sounds like smaller and/or juvenile cockroaches -- which, incidentally, I have seen more of in CT than in GA. They are not unique to the South. You might do a Google image search to confirm.

After the thorough cleaning and sealing-off that lorilove suggested, I recommend getting a really good, results-guaranteed pest control company out there ASAP. Big or small, cockroaches multiply fast. You may even want to request a followup visit in a month or so, just to be sure. Alternatively, you can do it yourself with chemicals from Lowe's, but IMO it's a job for professionals and worth every penny.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM

2,347 posts, read 1,312,979 times
Call an exterminator immediately. They sound like German cockroaches. You will have an infestation after only a few weeks.

I had no bugs in an apt. I lived in. Got new neighbors, saw a few. After a couple of weeks they were everywhere. They had even made a nest inside the of my food scale because they like dark places. I had an exterminator come in. Then thoroughly cleaned. Got rid of papers (roaches eat paper). Any food that was in an open box, I threw it out.

Exterminate, clean, and from now foward keep all boxed foods and dry goods in air-tight containers. Ikea has great ones. Put everything in them--coffee, flours, cereals, teas, nuts, rice, open baking mixes. etc. Once I exterminated and started putting all dry goods in containers, I was rid of them real quick.

Also save pasta jars to store food and spices in. Once they can't get into food, they go away.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 AM

69 posts, read 60,809 times
German cockroaches look like this:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/images...gm_roaches.jpg

If you see them, you have a problem. These are invasive, multiplying creatures that can overtake your home in a few months. You NEED a professional. A can of Raid ain't gonna cut it. They will get into EVERYTHING you own and ruin it including your electronics, clothes, furniture...they urinate and defecate all over everything. A few hundred can become a few thousand in a few weeks, and in 6 months you can have MILLIONS of them.

No I don't work for Orkin or Terminix or anyone, but I've had my fair share of battles with them at rental properties. Do yourself a favor and get a grip on this NOW before it becomes a real problem.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 24,631 times
Thanks for all the advice. I have been making sure there's no dishes in the sink like ever! and Ive cleaned under appliances and insides counters. We are using some borac acid for the time being to help control them until we call the exterminator. I'm going to nip this in the butt before it gets out of hand!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,312,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamfarris View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I have been making sure there's no dishes in the sink like ever! and Ive cleaned under appliances and insides counters. We are using some borac acid for the time being to help control them until we call the exterminator. I'm going to nip this in the butt before it gets out of hand!
And PLEASE put all your dry goods in air-tight containers. I promise you will see a difference!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 AM

872 posts, read 1,610,846 times
Save your money!

You can find roach tablets (looks like pills) in grocery stores and many stores. They are very effective in getting rid of roaches/waterbugs. They cost at least 10 dollars each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta