U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 PM

264 posts, read 468,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Check it out in detail here. You'd be surprised how many employees are being paid $10,000 - $20,000 a month.

University professors often make a lot more than that.

A school nurse working for APS makes between $75-100,000 a year.

And they get great benefits, pensions, time off, job security, etc.

Open.Georgia.gov
I think you are just jealous. Can you do a school nurses's job? I think not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM

28,173 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I think you are just jealous. Can you do a school nurses's job? I think not.
I'd be a heck of a school nurse.

"Let's see, there, Johnny, you say you hurt your arm? Let's give it a little twist and straighten it back out."

"Mary, looks like you skinned your knee. This rubbing alcohol will have have you hop-scotching again in no time."

"What's this, Reginald, you've swallowed your eraser? Well, let's have a look....Reginald? Reginald? Where did that boy go?"

Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,615,214 times
Quote:

"Let's see, there, Johnny, you say you hurt your arm? Let's give it a little twist and straighten it back out."

"Mary, looks like you skinned your knee. This rubbing alcohol will have have you hop-scotching again in no time."

"What's this, Reginald, you've swallowed your eraser? Well, let's have a look....Reginald? Reginald? Where did that boy go?"
I laughed.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,772,715 times
Atlanta Public Schools is NOT a State of Georgia agency, just as Fulton or DeKalb or Clayton isn't. Mentioning APS school nurse salaries is irrelevant to the discussion.

APS staff are not State of Georgia employees.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM

264 posts, read 468,365 times
Quote:

That was a puerile response. Nurses will always have jobs and most have benefits.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM

397 posts, read 701,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Unless of course you live in a country that that has little to no enforcement of worker's rights or even human rights, and that even children are forced at gunpoint to put out products without so much as even a lunch break. The uninhibited free market; what a blessing.

Sometimes, responding to this insanity is just way too easy.
I think there should be a reading comprehension test to post on this forum.

Quote:
The report from Washington, D.C.-based Citizens Against Government Waste says Georgiaís state workers receive an average of $38.47 an hour, compared with $25.66 for those holding similar jobs in the private sector
They are not comparing a GA Govt job with jobs oversees. The private sector jobs in the comparison are here.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Atlanta Public Schools is NOT a State of Georgia agency, just as Fulton or DeKalb or Clayton isn't. Mentioning APS school nurse salaries is irrelevant to the discussion.

APS staff are not State of Georgia employees.
Well, they are included on the state website.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
That was a puerile response. Nurses will always have jobs and most have benefits.
It probably was puerile, but I still think $100,000 is pretty good pay for a school nurse.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,772,715 times
Quote:
Well, they are included on the state website.
Can't tell you why they are on the state website, but what I can tell you is that APS isn't a state agency.

We should all know that there is separate governments in every state: Federal, State and local and they typically don't get involved with each others' business unless there is some regulatory issue with a subordinate government and there are some violations.

The only way I can see that is because APS has to obviously follow Georgia Dept. of Education curriculum and rules. But still the school systems are separate hiring entities and APS school nurse salaries are not a reflection of state employee salaries.

a Georgia Public health nurse earns less than $50k per year at cap salary--and it takes several years to reach cap within the state, if you ever reach it all. State employees don't always get COL raises every year.

*The state does not pay full benefits for state employees.

*State agencies do not match retirement plan contributions. Community services boards are the only state agencies that do.

*State employes do not get pensions. There is the ERS (Employee Retirement System) in which a small fraction of state employees' salary goes into. The state doesn't match that either.

I got paid out more money in my pension when I left than county after working there for only two years, than what I got out of ERS when I left that state after working there almost seven.

As a former state employee, it bothers me that people think that government workers all get paid high salaries, do very little work and get all these paid benefits when we pay just as much in premiums as people in the private sector. When most of us are struggling to make ends meet while serving the public. It is utterly FALSE unless you work for the feds.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-28-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
a Georgia Public health nurse earns less than $50k per year at cap salary--and it takes several years to reach cap within the state, if you ever reach it all. State employees don't always get COL raises every year.
I agree that APS isn't a good example. Their pay scales are often way above what other people get.

Still there are a lot of nurses working for the state making $70,000 and up, and a good many making over $80,000.

I don't know how that compares with private industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or