Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Georgia is a good place to be working for the gummint.

Quote:
State government workers in Georgia receive on average nearly $13 an hour more than their private-sector counterparts in wages and benefits, earning the state an “D” in a ranking released Thursday by a group focused on cutting government waste.

The report from Washington, D.C.-based Citizens Against Government Waste says Georgia’s state workers receive an average of $38.47 an hour, compared with $25.66 for those holding similar jobs in the private sector. Those totals include wages, pensions and other benefits.

More...Georgia gets D for state worker pay from anti-spending group - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Wow that's shocking. Guess working at the state is the place to be. You would think with all that money they waste, you'd think the employees wouldn't be as crappy

Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,743 times
And the state employees get a pension when they retire. That's a pretty good "Deal." if you ask me.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
This is another worthless piece of trash from the Atlanta Business Chronicle. When I saw the title, I thought "oh boy, someone's going to shed some light on the low pay that state workers get in this state." I was wrong.

Getting a fair wage is not waste.

The "private sector" hasn't exactly been the model for fair pay lately. They ship jobs to foreign countries and pay as little as they can. Benefits? Yeah.... right.... .
Work harder, complain less. Or you'll be in the unemployment line.

Gee whiz, it's $38/hr... that doesn't shatter any records.
If you want to see waste, including government waste, look at what the people on wall street make.
Thanks to our bailouts and putting "job-killing" legislation on the back burner.

This is one periodical I'd actually really like to see in piles in the middle of the street....
"Citizens Against Government Waste" .
Sounds like one of Bain capital's lobbyist groups.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Or it could just be that Georgia is a pretty garbage-A-- place to work in. I've seen some of the salaries of these so-called "highly paid" workers according to a anti-tax group started by a dead multimillionaire. It's not that impressive.

https://www.careers.ga.gov/jobsearch/joblist.asp

$20,039 -24,322 yearly starting salary for an Agricultural Inspector. My Gosh. Hope this person is actually educated enough to ensure that our food supply is safe to eat.

$24,322 starting salary for a Corrections Officer. Yikes. One of my coworkers used to work as a state corrections for Juvenile Justice. I did say "used to" didn't I?

Anyways, if she wasn't busying herself dealing with separating young teens from their sharpened tooth brushes (won't be polishing any ivories with those), then she would be well engaged in breaking up fights. And as I recall, Georgia's adult & juvenile prison system had experienced a couple of dangerous riots in the last 2 years.

Gang-Related Riot Breaks Out In East Georgia Prison « CBS Atlanta

Report shows officers injured, fired over May riot | www.wsbtv.com

Yep...state employees are really living it up on the taxpayer's dime.

Boy oh boy, you southern conservative city-data posters really do frighten me sometimes.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
This is another worthless piece of trash from the Atlanta Business Chronicle.

Getting a fair wage is not waste.

The "private sector" hasn't exactly been the model for fair pay lately. They ship jobs to foreign countries and pay as little as they can. Benefits? Yeah.... right.... .
Work harder, complain less. Or you'll be in the unemployment line.

Gee whiz, it's $38/hr... that doesn't shatter any records.
If you want to see waste, including government waste, look at what the people on wall street make.
Thanks to our bailouts and putting "job-killing" legislation on the back burner.

This is one periodical I'd actually really like to see in piles in the middle of the street....
"Citizens Against Government Waste" .
Sounds like one of Bain capital's lobbyist groups.
Some notes:

Fair wage isn't waste, but when the government workers make a significant amount more than their civilian counterparts, there is a serious disconnect from the free market. These workers are overpaid, have little incentive to increase efficiencies and have close to unlimited job security. "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life."

People on Wall Street generate wealth. They don't make that money for nothing. They provide a service that is highly valued. If that MARTA bus driver or DMV worker was generating millions of dollars of profits, they should be making Wall Street money too. However, they don't and their labor is unskilled and highly replaceable. These factors, in a free market, should lead to no pay difference between the two. The state would be better off that way.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Or it could just be that Georgia is a pretty garbage-A-- place to work in. I've seen some of the salaries of these so-called "highly paid" workers according to a anti-tax group started by a dead multimillionaire. It's not that impressive.

$20,039 -24,322 yearly starting salary for an Agricultural Inspector. My Gosh. Hope this person is actually educated enough to ensure that our food supply is safe to eat.

$24,322 starting salary for a Corrections Officer. Yikes. One of my coworkers used to work as a state corrections for Juvenile Justice. I did say "used to" didn't I?

Anyways, if she wasn't busying herself dealing with separating young teens from their sharpened tooth brushes (won't be polishing any ivories with those), then she would be well engaged in breaking up fights. And as I recall, Georgia's adult & juvenile prison system had experienced a couple of dangerous riots in the last 2 years.

Boy oh boy, you southern conservative city-data posters really do frighten me sometimes.
Article with facts and data got you butthurt?

Way to pick out two examples and ignore the fact presented in the article.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Some notes:

People on Wall Street generate wealth.
HA HA HA HA
Yeah. For THEMSELVES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
They don't make that money for nothing. They provide a service that is highly valued.
Oh my god. I have never laughed so hard on this forum.
If financial derivitives aint money for nothing and generating wealth out of thin air then nothing is.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Yep...multimillionaires & billionaires got this region brainwashed. If one should even believe some garbage-piece of far-right propaganda coming from this group that cited the report; instead of demanding that state salaries be lowered...why not: demand that everyone else's salaries be raised higher?

Oh no, that's too much like common sense for the hayseed quartet here.

Why stop at demanding a decrease in salary? Let's demand no health benefits while we're at it. Why settle for half a mouth of rotten teeth by age 30? Darn it, we can and must aim straight towards the bottom and gain a mouth full of dentures.

The southern way is friggin' awesome, I swear!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

It looks as if it is comparing similar jobs in the public and private sectors. Not all jobs. Not sure if Agricultural Inspector and Corrections Officer have private sector counterparts. And I guess government jobs don't have equivalents to Wall Street traders, etc.

So the article suggests that where pubic and private sectors compete for workers, you get a better deal with the government. And that might be true as government is better about benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: