U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
glad they like atlanta, but can't really call them a reliable source of information since they used a picture of savannah
Maybe they got confused with this:

Savannah ranked a top 10 World's Best City | Savannahnow.com Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 PM

56 posts, read 36,729 times
Arrow Nashville > Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
I disagree that the following cities are above us:

Kansas City
Nashville
Minneapolis
Pittsburg
St. Paul
Austin

Atlanta supersedes these.
After living in Atlanta for just under two years, I feel that Nashville is definitely superior to Atlanta, and Pittsburgh is one of the most underrated U.S. cities, IMO.

Nashville has a lower cost of living, an incredible music scene (sorry, but DJs just don't cut it for me in terms of music), and far friendlier people. Nashville is by far the friendliest city I have ever visited (and since it's not that far of a drive from Atlanta, I spend alot of time there). I hope to live in Nashville one day.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:49 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
After living in Atlanta for just under two years, I feel that Nashville is definitely superior to Atlanta, and Pittsburgh is one of the most underrated U.S. cities, IMO.

Nashville has a lower cost of living, an incredible music scene (sorry, but DJs just don't cut it for me in terms of music), and far friendlier people. Nashville is by far the friendliest city I have ever visited (and since it's not that far of a drive from Atlanta, I spend alot of time there). I hope to live in Nashville one day.
Nashville is a cool city,but nowhere near Atlanta on an overall level.Much like how I prefer Savannah over Nashville.Savannah is not "superior" to Nashville but it has charms and amenities that Nashville nor Atlanta could ever have.
Does not make either one better but there is a common criteria that the majority uses to assess such things.
I cant tell you how many times i have tried to get people on trips to go to Nashville and they are ready to leave after a day or they just dont wanna go.

That said respect is given as you have your own personal preference.
To be superior overall Nashville would need to have some of the following
1)Better shopping
2) Hospitality/Resturants-Accommodations
3)Public Transportation
4)Economy/GDP
5)Air connections
6)Diversity
7)Corporate presence-
8)International ties and presence-Consulate offices in Atlanta,International headquartes of companies like Coke and foreign company North American headquarters like Porshe.
9)Historical relevance-Atlanta civil war,civil rights
10)Sports-No NBA ,No MLB,barely any college sports

I do agree that Nashville has a better live music scene if you like bands.
Pittsburgh is thought of as it should imo."A beautiful city that has rebounded to be as good as it can but falls way short outside of outdoors activities."

Last edited by afonega1; 09-28-2012 at 03:48 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,090,866 times
You really need to find something else to read Arjay, other than that Atlanta "Business" Chronicle.

I wouldn't even consider that rag worthy of blowing my nose with nowadays.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I cant tell you how many times i have tried to get people on trips to go to Nashville and they are ready to leave after a day or they just dont wanna go.
Ha, I've had the exact OPPOSITE experience. I dragged a couple of friends who had never been to Nashville for my birthday earlier this year, and they both were raving about what a great city it was and how nice everyone was there. I think people think Nashville is just country music, but there's so much more to the city than that.

That being said, people want different things from cities. I honestly couldn't care less about things like "corporate presence" and air connections (I personally prefer Nashville's airport over Hartsfield, that airport is way too crazy), but that's just me. To each his own

Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:

Nashville has a lower cost of living, an incredible music scene (sorry, but DJs just don't cut it for me in terms of music)
If that's what you think makes up the music scene in Atlanta you are hilariously out of touch.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If that's what you think makes up the music scene in Atlanta you are hilariously out of touch.
Sure, there are bands in Atlanta, but not to the extent that you find them in Nashville. Nashville's nickname is "Music City" for a reason.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Sure, there are bands in Atlanta, but not to the extent that you find them in Nashville. Nashville's nickname is "Music City" for a reason.
So, your assertion that there are not as many bands here as one would find in "Music City" (which is debatable) means our music scene is nothing but DJs? Let's not go around making things up.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So, your assertion that there are not as many bands here as one would find in "Music City" (which is debatable) means our music scene is nothing but DJs? Let's not go around making things up.
I never said it was ALL DJs, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone into a bar/club/restaurant in Atlanta and heard a really great band vs. the number of times I've heard only a DJ playing. Some people like DJs, which is fine, but that's not really my music style or scene. Maybe it's the places I've been dragged to, don't know. I just know I prefer Nashville's music choices over Atlanta's.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,112 times
I thought Nashville was nice but if you think Atlanta is lacking in local or national rock acts you need explore better. It may be a few things about you and the cities.

I recall going to Nashville to visit a friend and he had us meet at some big club that was having a "hip hop" night with a line up the street and it filled before we moved a few yards in the line as if clubs there dont play rap music. No EDM parties were happening that night either which is also a common thing in ATL.

I figure the perception that Nashville has more acts performing comes from the fact that the city is less diverse in anything that isn't rock or country and thus the perception is that it blows Atlanta out of water in that category when Atlanta has more diverse offering going on and isn't lacking in rock concerts on any night of the week for a city it's size. Atlanta is a huge music city too of ALL genres.

I can see the big picture because my musical taste spans rock genres(manly heavy or indie rock),EDM, and some hip hop. Nashville lacks in the later two but make up for it in rock. So people who only or mostly like rock music are gonna think it dominates becuase rock is in your face in most places there. In Atlanta you have more variety so you gotta search for the right areas/venues.

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 09-28-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or