U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
I never said it was ALL DJs, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone into a bar/club/restaurant in Atlanta and heard a really great band vs. the number of times I've heard only a DJ playing. Some people like DJs, which is fine, but that's not really my music style or scene. Maybe it's the places I've been dragged to, don't know. I just know I prefer Nashville's music choices over Atlanta's.

Let's just agree to disagree.
To see bands here, that has to be your intention. Generally, bars and restaurants don't have live music in this city. You have to go to a live music venue if you want to see bands.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM

56 posts, read 37,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
To see bands here, that has to be your intention. Generally, bars and restaurants don't have live music in this city. You have to go to a live music venue if you want to see bands.
And that's exactly how Nashville differs. You walk in to most any bar (other than a sports bar, since people want to watch whatever game they are there to see and not listen to music), and there is a live band playing. That's what I love about Nashville - you don't have to venture out specifically to a live music venue to hear live music because it's everywhere there!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:03 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
And that's exactly how Nashville differs. You walk in to most any bar (other than a sports bar, since people want to watch whatever game they are there to see and not listen to music), and there is a live band playing. That's what I love about Nashville - you don't have to venture out specifically to a live music venue to hear live music because it's everywhere there!
Playing moslty cover songs, right? That's not a music scene.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:03 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,970,365 times
Lol

Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM

3,967 posts, read 4,563,700 times
okay, let's stop the bickering. go to little five points, east atlanta village, atkins park, downtown decatur, etc.— you can walk into any number of bars such as blind willie's, the earl, etc. etc. and most likely find a live band playing (not cover songs, and JPD i'm sure that's NOT what he's talking about when he says nashville is full of music). however, if you get dragged to a club in midtown, it's going to be all about the clubbing scene, with DJs and electronic or rap acts only. midtown isn't the place to go to see live rock or blues music— you have to venture east a mile or two to find places where every bar has a band.

does nashville have a legendary music scene? yes— especially considering its size. nashville is THE country and blues music center of the US and one of the rock music centers. does atlanta have its fair share of music also? yes, but let's not discount nashville.

sheesh, i don't know what the deal is today, it's like every thread i go into people are saying either atlanta is way better than another city when it comes to every aspect of life, or atlanta is some backwater crime-infested s-hole with no diversity. the united states is one of the largest countries in the world by land area, guys, i'm sure that there can be a ton of fantastic cities. one doesn't have to be better than another, they're just different.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,547,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
okay, let's stop the bickering. go to little five points, east atlanta village, atkins park, downtown decatur, etc.— you can walk into any number of bars such as blind willie's, the earl, etc. etc. and most likely find a live band playing (not cover songs, and JPD i'm sure that's NOT what he's talking about when he says nashville is full of music). however, if you get dragged to a club in midtown, it's going to be all about the clubbing scene, with DJs and electronic or rap acts only. midtown isn't the place to go to see live rock or blues music— you have to venture east a mile or two to find places where every bar has a band.

does nashville have a legendary music scene? yes— especially considering its size. nashville is THE country and blues music center of the US and one of the rock music centers. does atlanta have its fair share of music also? yes, but let's not discount nashville.

sheesh, i don't know what the deal is today, it's like every thread i go into people are saying either atlanta is way better than another city when it comes to every aspect of life, or atlanta is some backwater crime-infested s-hole with no diversity. the united states is one of the largest countries in the world by land area, guys, i'm sure that there can be a ton of fantastic cities. one doesn't have to be better than another, they're just different.
I agree...we should probably just ignore the extreme views and concentrate on the rational discussion, but it's hard to do. When you really look closely there are only a few members that are on each end of the spectrum. There are a couple of people that immediately respond if you dare say anything positive about Atlanta and there are a couple that immediately defend if you say anything not so positive. You know who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or