U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times

Advertisements

The Atlanta Skyline (Downtown+Midtown) from Freedom Parkway is best.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,345,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
and as for the chicago comparisons, people from chicago don't get upset, okay? atlanta is not a complete city like nyc and chicago areó we're still working on building it! atlanta did not rise above regional importance until the 80s or 90s while chicago and nyc have been national cities for a hundred years or more. when we compare atlanta to chicago we're viewing chicago as a good example of where to go next. we're not saying that atlanta is like chicago, rather that it has the potential to be a city like chicago. but on the same token don't come down here and badmouth our city when the city isn't even filled out yet, okay?
Oh my goodness THANK YOU! I've been saying this for the longest! Give Atlanta some time and one day, it'll be amongst cities like Chicago. Not right now though, we've only been at this big city business for 30 years now...GIVE IT TIME. I don't think many people realize just how young Atlanta is in its prominence

Old 09-28-2012, 05:44 PM

28,132 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
atlanta did not rise above regional importance until the 80s or 90s
Oh come now. Atlanta has been an important city since long before that.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM

1,787 posts, read 2,103,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You can make any city look "big" with the right lens and direction, but only a handful of US cities look "big" when seen from a distance or across the horizon. Atlanta is one of them, and THIS is by far the BEST "big city" photo of ATL I've ever seen. It does not lie.
Sunrise or sunset?

edit

Last edited by DaBurgh; 09-28-2012 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: (referring to the picture that was posted)

Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 PM

616 posts, read 878,107 times
These d!(k measuring threads kill me. Atlanta is a great place right now. Why can't Atlanta just be Atlanta? Why does it have to be the "[insert perceived better city here] of the south"? Chicago is a fine city, but let it worry about itself.

Atlanta should just focus on improving itself, rather than trying to become the "whatever of the south". The perpetual "little brother" mentality is one of he main things holding Atlanta back.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,960,230 times
I like skyscraper photos. Then and now to compare. Much I really like those aerial photos that people post or link to.

Atlanta looks big in its city skyline photos. When you fly over it at night in comparison to some others, it's huge. Don't care to debate, but after having been to other larger cities in population in the US and elsewhere, Atlanta is a good size.

I know this skyscraper forum has been mentioned somewhere here before. I could look at skyscraper stuff for hours. The tall buildings are a huge part of the history of a city, especially a younger city such as Atlanta.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,181,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanjoe123 View Post
big city, can look big, but it feels small.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM

938 posts, read 1,459,174 times
In terms of someone who is not from Atlanta (Augusta). The city of Atlanta is huge. I lived there while studying at GSU, but recently moved back after graduating this past May. i have been to NYC, Philly, and Miami, and Atlanta is in the league with those cities. With that being said, Atlanta is a big city.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM

731 posts, read 645,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
In terms of someone who is not from Atlanta (Augusta). The city of Atlanta is huge. I lived there while studying at GSU, but recently moved back after graduating this past May. i have been to NYC, Philly, and Miami, and Atlanta is in the league with those cities. With that being said, Atlanta is a big city.
Although atlanta is getting better, it is nowhere near NYC or Philly. And to try to make Atlanta something it is not is just silly. We have to accept it for what it is and hope that it continues to improve.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,587,562 times
Quote:
i can't disagree with you more about midtown— in the early 90s there was no skyline over piedmont park. today there is one. sure, most of those buildings are not really iconic, but i would say that the symphony tower is pretty iconic, as well as the four seasons hotel building. in the past 20 years, midtown has changed dramatically, especially around tech square which used to be a run down red light district, and at 10th and 14th streets near piedmont park.

i do agree though, that from a distance there aren't that many characteristic buildings that are known for being in atlanta only. the last really tall (nyc/chicago style) building built here was the bank of america tower in 1991, and while it looks great from a distance it does a terrible disservice to the streetscape. in fact from the point of view of north avenue, it would probably be better off without the tower today.

i would like to see more of the big projects— 1,000+ foot skyscrapers and whatnot to add to our skyline. but when you look at it from the viewpoint of the streets themselves, any infill is good at all and having to have a huge skyscraper just adds to our ego. we should instead focus on the interaction that new development has with the streetscape and try not to repeat the BoA tower which overall has a negative impact on the immediate surroundings.
I think the visual impact of Atlanta's skyline from certain angles is one of the best features of the city. It can be really impressive although I think it loses a lot of that impact when viewed from the side and the huge 1.5-2 mile gap between the skyscrapers of downtown and midtown is factored in. NYC has a gap between its downtown and midtown skyscrapers as well(due to geology) but it has plenty of mid-rise infill. Hopefully Atlanta's skyline is going through an awkward, lanky teenager phase before it fills out into an "adult" skyline. A lot of that "empty" space between midtown and downtown consists of parking lots, and parking garages so there is hope that it will fill out eventually.

As far as the feel of the city, I would definitely say that looks are deceiving in Atlanta's case. I think a lot of those skyscapers Atlanta boosters like to brag about have a lot to do with it. The are like architectural supermodels, tall and beautiful to behold but boring, difficult to approach, and with little if any use to the average man on the street. Only the buildings built in the past decade or so have anything interesting going on at ground level. I am more and more of the opinion that John Portman effed the poor city of Atlanta with his huge phallic symbols and gerbil tubes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or