U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,962,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanjoe123 View Post
big city, can look big, but it feels small.
What determines the feel or attitude of the city?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,962,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I think the visual impact of Atlanta's skyline from certain angles is one of the best features of the city. It can be really impressive although I think it loses a lot of that impact when viewed from the side and the huge 1.5-2 mile gap between the skyscrapers of downtown and midtown is factored in. NYC has a gap between its downtown and midtown skyscrapers as well(due to geology) but it has plenty of mid-rise infill. Hopefully Atlanta's skyline is going through an awkward, lanky teenager phase before it fills out into an "adult" skyline. A lot of that "empty" space between midtown and downtown consists of parking lots, and parking garages so there is hope that it will fill out eventually.

As far as the feel of the city, I would definitely say that looks are deceiving in Atlanta's case. I think a lot of those skyscapers Atlanta boosters like to brag about have a lot to do with it. The are like architectural supermodels, tall and beautiful to behold but boring, difficult to approach, and with little if any use to the average man on the street. Only the buildings built in the past decade or so have anything interesting going on at ground level. I am more and more of the opinion that John Portman effed the poor city of Atlanta with his huge phallic symbols and gerbil tubes.
boa plaza definitely fits that mold.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
I like how people are saying that I'm posted this thread as an 'insecurity'. If I needed to stroke my ego by showing pictures of the Atlanta skyline to show Atlanta is a big city, I would have done it in the city vs city forum where people from other parts of the country look, not in the same forum where most people would agree it's a big city.

Most people here know I constantly knock Atlanta for lacking proper urbanity even in it's core.

It's just strange how it has a massive skyline(One of the largest in the countries), but lacks urbanity even to that of it's smaller sister city, Savannah.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 AM
RNF

141 posts, read 192,628 times
Atlanta is a big city!

Atlanta and Chicago are two very different cities so they can't really be compared. Just let Atlanta be Atlanta, its great in it's own way.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:50 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,984,653 times
Atlanta is the only major city completely covered with trees. That's its claim to fame. Yes, Chicago and NYC are bigger, more exciting entities, but the look at the horrible weather that comes with them? Both cold, and New York gets 2nd highest rainfall in the country.

Atlanta is special already.

You may not appreciate the green trees and suburban feel of Atlanta, but I can attest that, after 10 years living in NYC, most New Yorkers would compare Atlanta's scenery to that of a luxury resort.

No, downtown isn't super dense, so what? It's not landlocked, you want to enjoy the omnipresent sunshine we enjoy, don't you?

Atlanta's anatomy is that of familiar, smaller-town surburban streetscapes, and in many ways doesn't feel like a city at all. But collectively, these suburban town components (with a decidedly Southeast flavor) come together like no where else in the South. They become a different beast, unlike any other southern city.

A bonafide major city, where people do have a big city mentality. People expect excitement, beautiful people, top-notch shopping and entertainment. Prostitution, organized crime, and all kinds of human foibles are expected. Human behavior in all its extremes is anticipated and planned for.

Hailing from small towns doesn't diminish the big-city mentality either. Most cities are comprised of people with rural roots.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,118,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Atlanta is the only major city completely covered with trees. That's its claim to fame. Yes, Chicago and NYC are bigger, more exciting entities, but the look at the horrible weather that comes with them? Both cold, and New York gets 2nd highest rainfall in the country.

Atlanta is special already.

You may not appreciate the green trees and suburban feel of Atlanta, but I can attest that, after 10 years living in NYC, most New Yorkers would compare Atlanta's scenery to that of a luxury resort.
Trees are frequently brought up here as Atlanta's natural wonder, but around the country, Atlanta is not known for that. If you want to play "word association", people outside of Atlanta don't talk about Atlanta's trees. Atlanta's tree density is a non-selling point.

Quote:
No, downtown isn't super dense, so what? It's not landlocked, you want to enjoy the omnipresent sunshine we enjoy, don't you?
Atlanta's sunshine level is good, but it is bested by many other places if sunshine is what you want. And it is landlocked, no major bodies of water. The Chattahoochee is a medium sized river, far from downtown with very little development along it to utilize this natural feature. If Atlanta were built beside Stone Mountain, it would be its iconic symbol. But as is, Atlanta lacks an iconic look that is easily recognizable. And no, even the trees don't help there either.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:01 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 192,628 times
Atlanta is pretty unique and it's definitely has a "signature" look. Also it's not like Atlanta's downtown/midtown is empty. It was pretty great to me.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,403,041 times
Do these pictures give you the impression that Atlanta has the 4th best skyline behind NY, Chicago and Miami? Yes

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8378/atlanta114kn6.jpg

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8378/atlanta114kn6.jpg

http://fauxfringe.files.wordpress.co...9/dscn0596.jpg

Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,118,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
Atlanta is pretty unique and it's definitely has a "signature" look. Also it's not like Atlanta's downtown/midtown is empty. It was pretty great to me.
So what is its signature look? I could show a picture of city with the Eiffel tower and people know it is Paris. I can show Big Ben and Parliament and people know it's London, I can show a city with the Arch and people know it's St Louis. There is no signature look to Atlanta. If I see a random picture of Atlanta, I'd have to look over the buildings that I recognize to give me a hint as there is no signature piece or natural wonder to give instant recognition. Atlanta has a pretty generic look.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM

4,345 posts, read 6,927,632 times
Before I moved to Atlanta, I always associated the place with that picture of I-75 winding toward downtown captured in high speed (where the lights are blurred) and I could always tell it was Atlanta by Peachtree Plaza being in the background to top it off. Those two things always came to mind.

Nationally and internationally, we're probably widely known for our airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or