Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,091,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And here we go again. The fact is, that Atlanta DOES .... And you are simply wrong.
Tell me how other then a busy airport.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM

32 posts, read 61,713 times
I didn't read all the arguments in between, but back to the OP's post, I personally like the skyline of the ATL metro area from the top of Stone Mountain best with Downtown/Midtown to the left following all the buildings up Peachtree St to Buckhead and then out a bit futher to the King & Queen building at Perimeter. That or the skyline from the airport coming up the connector at the top of the hilll at the merge, I like that one too.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,681,385 times
The Atlanta skyline best my hometown skyline of Baltimore which doesn't have any recognizable buildings imho...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,198,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You truly seem to delight in your own ignorance, as well a that of your friends and family. Any well-read, educated, informed person would at least be aware of the things you are dismissing.
And you truly seem to delight in resorting to insults and name calling when people don't share your views.

Name one building in the Atlanta skyline that is as world-famous as the Empire State Building, The Willis (Sears) Toweror the Patronas Towers that are known to people who have never been here.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
And you truly seem to delight in resorting to insults and name calling when people don't share your views.

Name one building in the Atlanta skyline that is as world-famous as the Empire State Building, The Willis (Sears) Toweror the Patronas Towers that are known to people who have never been here.
Of course Atlanta is not as advanced as New York or Chicago. Don't be silly.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,099,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
Of course Atlanta is not as advanced as New York or Chicago. Don't be silly.
But St Louis does...the Gateway Arch.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,929,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Right...so you came with no preconceived notion about Atlanta and trees?
Not that I can recall. At least nothing that prepared me for as many as there were.

I'd actually been to Atlanta three times in the 80's, but maybe two decades of living in LA has made seeing trees in a city more exotic.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,517,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I actually went to Southside Park last year before I left Atlanta. All I recall is a trail. It did look fairly new so maybe they can actually do something with it, maybe in conjunction with redeveloping the old prison farm. I wouldn't exactly call it tied to the rest of the city though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would also highly recommend the Cascade Springs Nature Preserve.

The Creeks had settled there long ago, but by the early 1800s white settlers were arriving and establishing farms.

During the Civil War the land was the site of ferocious fighting. Some of the cannon emplacements are still detectable. The Union army sustained over 800 casualties and lost 200 prisoners to Confederates forces, who were dug into the hills. In my mind you can almost sense the battle.

In the early 1900s a tourist spa with a hotel and restaurant was built. Visitors came to experience the and the mineral springs and you can still see the old spring-house.

In more recent years the city has built some excellent walking trails. It's one of the oldest untouched forests in town and the home of several champion trees.

Best of Atlanta 2011 - Cityscape: Best urban wilderness refuge
Arjay, I actually visited that place as well a couple years ago. It didn't leave much of an impression so I'd completely forgotten about it. Now that I remember a little, I felt pretty underwhelmed by it. Like the CL blurb states, the park was fairly rundown and poorly maintained. It would be nice if some effort was put into it and the history of the place really emphasized.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,099,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I guess all these folks are hallucinating.
Maybe about Atlanta being widely considered the "Tree City".

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,823,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Tell me how other then a busy airport.
I shouldn't have to tell you how; this subject has been discussed AD NAUSEUM on C-D and a simple Google search will turn up hundreds (ne thousands) of reliable and substantiated sources across the Internet that prove the point.

And just to clarify: it is not "a busy airport." It is far and away the "world's busiest airport," a fact that has more depth of meaning than simply a number of annual passengers or takeoffs and landings, but is the force that drives the Southeast economy and makes Atlanta and Georgia an international gateway for business, culture and politics.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-30-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta