U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM

743 posts, read 652,372 times

Advertisements

For all the negative attitudes directed toward this system and it's perceived lack of accountability and dependability, I say we all take a step back and appreciate the ONLY heavy rail system in the sunbelt and focus on ways to make it better for tomorrow.

I stumbled across this article today and although it's almost a month old, it's definitely a good read - Especially with how much MARTA is trashed when compared to other systems. I at least can say that I have never been stranded after a sporting event or concert that went a little late.

Does Metro close too early on weeknights? - Greater Greater Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 01:11 PM

28,118 posts, read 24,646,505 times
That's an excellent point, Frankster.

DC has all kinds of problems with it METRO shutting down too early:

Quote:
The metro: Too clean, too little. The metro runs on a schedule convenient to commuters. It works like a dream during the hours of 7-10 a.m., and 5-8 p.m. Monday-Friday. But hipness doesn't commute. Hip works odd hours, filling in shifts at the local coffee shop, while making "art" on the side. If it does work regular hours, it rides its bike to work—something D.C. is wonderful at, with its myriad bike lanes and bike share. When hip really needs the subway, for its evening jaunts around town, the D.C. Metro fails. It closes at the very early hour of midnight on weekdays. On weekends it stays open until 3:00 a.m., which is better! But that is also when the city decides to do all of its track work, rendering the Metro too slow to consider using. It also doesn't go a lot of places, meaning people attempting to live in these gentrifying neighborhoods have a hard time getting to the rest of town.

It's also so very clean, a problem the rest of the city shares as far as hipness cred goes. Unlike the New York City subway, which has love-hate relationship with graffiti artists and buskers, the D.C. Metro is uptight. To keep the nation's capital looking good, which is a noble cause, the metro station attendants scold people who break the rules. Once someone told me to stop drinking my coffee, for example. As a result, it all has to be very sterile. It has posters celebrating the Wonk (pictured right via American University) the antithesis to hip. Even D.C.'s underground is not cool.

The Structural Barriers to D.C.'s Hipness: An Anti-Rant - National - The Atlantic Wire

Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,539,681 times
It's really easy for some people to sit around and bad-mouth their local transit system without realizing that other systems around the country have similar (or sometimes worse) issues...but I think it's just something else to whine about.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,119,271 times
Regardless, MARTA needs to extend its weekend hours of running at a minimum.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:59 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,707,121 times
MARTA also has a better fare system than say New York City. The Breezecard is an entrance and exit pass, unlike in NYC where once someone is in the system (guarded only by three-prong turnstiles), they can leave anywhere even without valid fare media. The Boston non-commuter-rail transit is rickety, leaky, and dirty.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,929,515 times
I just wish they would expand the darn system!

I'd love to be able to take MARTA from Gwinnett out to Six Flags or Stone Mountain. *sigh*

Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,119,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
MARTA also has a better fare system than say New York City. The Breezecard is an entrance and exit pass, unlike in NYC where once someone is in the system (guarded only by three-prong turnstiles), they can leave anywhere even without valid fare media. The Boston non-commuter-rail transit is rickety, leaky, and dirty.
I don't think tap exiting has any benefit except for MARTA. Helps MARTA understand its usage better and if they want to charge by distance instead, they could. MARTA's present gate system suffers from allowing people to run in behind a paying customer, so give credit that you can't do that with a turnstile.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:32 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,707,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't think tap exiting has any benefit except for MARTA. Helps MARTA understand its usage better and if they want to charge by distance instead, they could. MARTA's present gate system suffers from allowing people to run in behind a paying customer, so give credit that you can't do that with a turnstile.
That kind of behavior is much more catchable than with the turnstile. Plus, they have to "run in" twice, once on entrance, once on exit. With NYC, it'd be a quick duck-under the turnstile, then once they get lost in the system, they're gone. Or you need more manpower to police fare evasion, so it's essentially a double loss, easier system to defeat, and more manpower needed to police the evaders.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 PM

3,962 posts, read 4,556,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
MARTA's present gate system suffers from allowing people to run in behind a paying customer, so give credit that you can't do that with a turnstile.
have you actually tried to do this? i had a situation where my card wasn't working and i went in directly behind my brother, the damn thing closes on you and it hurts, it's painful. there's no way to get through that thing.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,591,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
have you actually tried to do this? i had a situation where my card wasn't working and i went in directly behind my brother, the damn thing closes on you and it hurts, it's painful. there's no way to get through that thing.
I've seen many people do it rofl. It's a somewhat common thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta