U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 PM

106 posts, read 128,962 times

Advertisements

We're coming into the area in the spring... my wife will be working for the DOT very near the airport. I could work in a family business near John's Creek.
Everything I'm reading says most folks live in Peachtree City or Newnan for Hartsfiled jobs and that JC would be too far to commute. Does MARTA fit into this "plan" or would that be too rough for her daily?
Any other good options in the middle? We are planning on renting b/c I seriously doubt we can sell our San Antonio home. Rent could go up to $2700, if that helps. Will be empty nesters by then, too.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 04:02 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,552,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaircedarbank View Post
We're coming into the area in the spring... my wife will be working for the DOT very near the airport. I could work in a family business near John's Creek.
Everything I'm reading says most folks live in Peachtree City or Newnan for Hartsfiled jobs and that JC would be too far to commute. Does MARTA fit into this "plan" or would that be too rough for her daily?
Any other good options in the middle? We are planning on renting b/c I seriously doubt we can sell our San Antonio home. Rent could go up to $2700, if that helps. Will be empty nesters by then, too.
Thanks in advance!
How about Midtown or another in-town neighborhood? You aren't automatically required to choose a suburb. If you chose a neighborhood in the city of Atlanta you could both have a reverse commute.

She could catch MARTA at North Springs, which is not all that far from John's Creek. You could live somewhere in between the two, but where is the DOT office in relation to the airport MARTA station?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,410,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
How about Midtown or another in-town neighborhood? You aren't automatically required to choose a suburb. If you chose a neighborhood in the city of Atlanta you could both have a reverse commute.

She could catch MARTA at North Springs, which is not all that far from John's Creek. You could live somewhere in between the two, but where is the DOT office in relation to the airport MARTA station?
I agree. Check out Inman Park, Virginia- Highlands, etc. It will be pure hell with that commute.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Thank you! This is so helpful! Would the options you all mentioned allow us to "stay put" on weekends- as in, everything we need would be fairly close so we don't have to drive much. We love eating out, walking, coffee shops, etc. on the weekends.
Not sure about exact location of office yet...all I know it's near Airport Loop Rd., east of interstate. I see a MARTA at College Park, but not sure how she would get over to that other side.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,410,948 times
Quote:
Thank you! This is so helpful! Would the options you all mentioned allow us to "stay put" on weekends- as in, everything we need would be fairly close so we don't have to drive much. We love eating out, walking, coffee shops, etc. on the weekends.
Not sure about exact location of office yet...all I know it's near Airport Loop Rd., east of interstate. I see a MARTA at College Park, but not sure how she would get over to that other side.

You dont really want to live in CP if you work in John's Creek. Virginia Highlands and Inman Park are mins away from the city but you feel like you are in the suburbs

Old 09-30-2012, 06:14 AM

I only mentioned CP as it seemed to be the MARTA closest for her to get off at (near work), but thank you so much for the suggestions. I will begin to research those two!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,768,136 times
Quote:
I only mentioned CP as it seemed to be the MARTA closest for her to get off at (near work), but thank you so much for the suggestions. I will begin to research those two!
Virginia-Highland is the best bet in terms of access to MARTA get to the airport area. It's also only a 15 minute drive to the airport from there though I can't speak for time in terms of weekday traffic. You would have a reverse commute to Johns Creek. It has shops, bars, restaurants and coffee places and 3 grocery stores which include Whole Foods.

Only things is that while you can find an apt in your budget, the apts in that area are old, small, often not updated and have no amenities usually, and the houses are very expensive. You could probably rent a nicer place in Midtown on Peactree which still gives you access to transit, restaurants and all the grovery stores in Virginia-Highland. There is also a Trader Joe's in Midtown.

Buckhead will giver you a better selection of apts and you will still have acess to these things. On transit, easier access to Jonhs Creek and while slightly further your wife can still get to the airprt area by train. Buckhead has many restaurants, coffee places, at least 6 grocery stores in addition to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Definitely don't move to Peachtree City or Johns Creek. It would be too extreme for one or the other of you when it comes to getting to work.

More simply put, Virginia-Highland gives easier acces to the airport, Buckhead gives easier access to Johns Creek, but both offer all the neighborhood amenities you seek while giving access to transit and being way more central than either suburb.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Great information!! I've been studying the maps and area. Wow, $2500 a month would get me a little, old apt? Good to know! I can't possibly go over, as I'm leaving this place as a rental for now. We love T Joe's and Whole Foods, so that's awesome.
Buckhead? Is this a suburb or just a neighborhood?? Just so I understand, our budget is probably meaning an apt. for us as opposed to a house?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM

32 posts, read 51,654 times
I pretty much agree with all the suggestions for in-town living, Buckhead is a separate city area north of Midtown up Peachtree St which connects it to Midtown/Downtown and is the financial district of Atlanta and is Posh (at least as far as it can be in GA) but it is nice, it used to be the night-life center of Atlanta with rows of bars lining the streets but the neighborhoods and developers have toned it way down. It's in-between. Either way both commutes are going to face some level of difficulty, but heading south in the afternoon on GA-400 from OTP usually ends up stopped several miles before the I-285 split, because of traffic both ways on I-285. If you went in-town it would be worse for you going to JC as you'd then have to deal with the 400-85 merge. Now there are surface roads you can take but travel times won't vary much in heavy traffic during rush hours. If Marta is an option USE IT!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,768,136 times
Quote:
Great information!! I've been studying the maps and area. Wow, $2500 a month would get me a little, old apt? Good to know! I can't possibly go over, as I'm leaving this place as a rental for now. We love T Joe's and Whole Foods, so that's awesome.
Buckhead? Is this a suburb or just a neighborhood?? Just so I understand, our budget is probably meaning an apt. for us as opposed to a house?

You can get cheaper in Va-Hi but it won't be as nice as what you can get in Midtown or Buckhead at the top of your range. A 3-4 bdrm house in Va-Hi could rent for $3k-$5k a month. You can see if there are condos for rent there but I think Midtown and Buckhead will give you better apt options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta