Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 PM

69 posts, read 183,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snsh5713 View Post
Why do you need luck and perseverance to break into this elite club. Does hard work, and a good previous academic, test score, and EC record, not speak for itself for admission purposes?

Also, even if there are parents with money and elite backgrounds who send their kids to these schools....I don't think they can "buy" their way at every step and now get their kids into Harvard, Princeton, Yale and other Ivy League colleges...Again, maybe I'm naïve but I don't think money gets you in through every door...
There aren't enough seats at these schools to accommodate every child who demonstrates hard work and good test scores. Why is it offensive that elite private schools and colleges institute a formula to qualify their acceptances? The kid with scores plus legacy (perhaps a history of success, ability to pay and contributions to the annual fund) would trump the kids with just high scores. The former child is a surer bet for the school. Let's not forget that these schools are businesses, too. Add to that the school's diversity efforts and other demographic influences, and you've got a formula for admissions that necessarily involves more than a mere comparison of test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,971,619 times
I agree w/ 1Mom2Boys, and also will add that in the 6th and 9th grade feeder years, the schools are able to base their decisions on emerging extracurricular gifts, as well as test scores, diversity, and other factors. I think the schools will be intrigued by SNSH's kids' science endeavors. I know at our family's school, many of the kids accepted into middle and high school have a special talent in sports, drama, music, etc.

SNSH, do not stress. You're going to have strong applications, and that's all you can do. Sit back, enjoy some family time, and get back to us in early April when you know what your options are.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 AM

175 posts, read 201,182 times
I'm wondering if anyone has used an educational consultant to navigate the private school system and try to answer these questions? My kid took the JATP last week and I paid for the full report so I could see what the schools will receive (which by the way is ALOT more than what we get with just the one page summary). I talked to the psychologist for a few minutes at the end to try to get her perspective on the schools and the application process, how parents make these kinds of decisions, etc. and she recommended a few educational consultants for me most of whom have previously worked in several of the top tier schools. I haven't called any so don't know what the expense would be, but I wonder if it would be worth it.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,619,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has used an educational consultant to navigate the private school system and try to answer these questions? My kid took the JATP last week and I paid for the full report so I could see what the schools will receive (which by the way is ALOT more than what we get with just the one page summary). I talked to the psychologist for a few minutes at the end to try to get her perspective on the schools and the application process, how parents make these kinds of decisions, etc. and she recommended a few educational consultants for me most of whom have previously worked in several of the top tier schools. I haven't called any so don't know what the expense would be, but I wonder if it would be worth it.
I used one a long time ago and have no regrets about spending the $. However, it was for one of our children who had unique needs and we needed a better understanding of what schools would work for this child.

For a more typical child, I am not sure there is as much to be gained.

First, do a self assessment. Are you open to a wide range of schools? Do you have a geographic requirement that limits you? If you answered yes to the first one and no to the second one, a consultant may have something to offer you. If not, if you have restrictions of any type, you probably have less to gain.

Atlanta doesn't have so many private schools that it is difficult to do the research on your own. Consultants cannot guarantee admission to any of the competitive schools (and any that say that they can are not being truthful). The can give advice about the application process as well as information and insight about various schools. And sometimes their insights are really helpful.

However, a lot depends on one's own situation. What are your choices/your back up plan if your child doesn't get in private? Do you have a good public option? Are you willing to move?

If no good choice exists and moving is out of the question, then most people need to cast a wide net in terms of applications. Apply wide and broad and I don't think a consultant helps much in this scenario.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
SNSH, do not stress. You're going to have strong applications, and that's all you can do. Sit back, enjoy some family time, and get back to us in early April when you know what your options are.
Totally agree!

We have used Woodward and Westminster and enjoyed them both, but have had equally good experiences with the public schools.

I really think it boils down to the particular child. They tend to have a way of settling out where they are best suited.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:14 PM

175 posts, read 201,182 times
Thanks Lastminutemom, I think that is good advice. It seems to me most of the consultants help people with the whole process of the applying from start to finish. We are done now with everything and just awaiting word of acceptance so really what I'm looking for now is help with deciding which school to choose once we find out where we are accepted (if anywhere). When I visited the schools, they all talk about making sure the school is a good fit for your child and doing your research on the schools. Well, of course I know my child very well but even with a visit, tour and asking a few people, I know very little about what it will really be like to attend the school. They ALL sound great that I'm applying to and maybe that means my child would do well at any of them but it's very hard for me to get a read on the school. I think the most important thing to me, at least for the early years, is that the school be very nurturing and that more emphasis is placed on play-oriented learning and developing a love of learning rather than strict academics. Usually this means a smaller school with a tighter community. The ones that SEEM to be more like this are Pace, Paideia, and Trinity but I may be completely wrong about this.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,619,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Thanks Lastminutemom, I think that is good advice. It seems to me most of the consultants help people with the whole process of the applying from start to finish. We are done now with everything and just awaiting word of acceptance so really what I'm looking for now is help with deciding which school to choose once we find out where we are accepted (if anywhere). When I visited the schools, they all talk about making sure the school is a good fit for your child and doing your research on the schools. Well, of course I know my child very well but even with a visit, tour and asking a few people, I know very little about what it will really be like to attend the school. They ALL sound great that I'm applying to and maybe that means my child would do well at any of them but it's very hard for me to get a read on the school. I think the most important thing to me, at least for the early years, is that the school be very nurturing and that more emphasis is placed on play-oriented learning and developing a love of learning rather than strict academics. Usually this means a smaller school with a tighter community. The ones that SEEM to be more like this are Pace, Paideia, and Trinity but I may be completely wrong about this.
In this case, you may be able to hire them for an hour or two of their time, rather than the full package. By any chance, did you look at Galloway? It would seem like ti would meet more of your criteria than Pace...

Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,827,223 times
You know, I think that ultimately it's a "gut instinct" thing. We toured multiple schools and I actually had the same reaction as you, chabang (I think it was you) re: being surprisingly unimpressed with the Westminster Lower School and very impressed with the Lovett Lower School. I grew up here, and did not expect that. My husband is from out of state and I deliberately tried to keep him "blind" as to school reputations (as much as possible) and our impressions were surprisingly similar. There were other schools that we really expected to like (e.g., Wesleyan), but we came away feeling "cold" about. Your child will get an excellent education at any of the well-established privates in Atlanta. It's more about what's right for YOU and your child. The consultant can't give you that answer, unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,126,506 times
I would say that if prospective parents are into prayer, perhaps praying that the right doors open for your child, whatever those may be - for the long-term and the short-term. I think leaving this gives a peace with whatever the result and you are more than likely to have clarity. The gut instinct thing is real, for schools, jobs, major moves. Sometimes you just have to get real quiet and really listen to what your inner instinct/voice is telling you, and similarly, shut all of the other external stuff out. At the end of the day, none of us with young children know what our childrens' interests or strengths will be in 5 years, 10 years, at high school graduation. We really don't know if they will be ultra-competitive or more passive about education. We do not know if they will even like school at all. All we can do is hope that the decision that we make now is a decision with which our children (not us, our children) will be happy in the long-run.

Since I'm not feeling particularly psychic, I look for divine guidance in this realm and trust that all will work out exactly as it should. At the end of the day, I think that is all that can really be done. If you believe in G-D, you will know of a time that a door that you wanted to be opened was closed and you later figured out that was the perfect scenario, albeit to your dismay at the time. Everything is in divine order and there are no mistakes. I think hopeful parents should just go with that and relax. Go luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
You know, I think that ultimately it's a "gut instinct" thing. We toured multiple schools and I actually had the same reaction as you, chabang (I think it was you) re: being surprisingly unimpressed with the Westminster Lower School and very impressed with the Lovett Lower School. I grew up here, and did not expect that. My husband is from out of state and I deliberately tried to keep him "blind" as to school reputations (as much as possible) and our impressions were surprisingly similar. There were other schools that we really expected to like (e.g., Wesleyan), but we came away feeling "cold" about. Your child will get an excellent education at any of the well-established privates in Atlanta. It's more about what's right for YOU and your child. The consultant can't give you that answer, unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:00 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,827,223 times
Agreed, lovelysummer. I'm a big believer in "gut" even though I'm not particularly religious, so I don't look upon it that way. And I agree that it goes along with a lot of situations, including relationships and everyday encounters in life. A book that had a huge impact on me was "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker, which discusses listening to that "little voice" that tells you when you're in a situation that could be bad (e.g., getting in an elevator with someone that makes the hairs on your neck stand up, etc...). But I digress. I suggest that parents focus on the "intangibles" re: school. How did you feel when you left the tour and/or observation? Satisfied or with lots more questions? How did the faculty/staff "feel" to you? Welcoming? Aloof? As if they wanted you there or as if you were vying for their attention? And so on and so on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta