U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,088 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be moving to the Atlanta area in the next month or two, to stay for 9mo. Could use some advice on what areas to look for housing in. I'll be working near the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area... close to there is best but I would tolerate a 20ish minutes commute.
-budget - $700-900/mo
-looking for a single family home - don't want to share walls with neighbors
-no kids, schools don't matter
-*we prefer to not have neighbors too close or to be too close to the road*
-close to transit would be nice, but it is not the most important thing
-preferred demographics? We like nice people as neighbors... not meth heads and rednecks.
A few other considerations... we have a dog, and it would be nice to have a dog park nearby. Sidewalks are a plus. A good library not too far away. Trees are wonderful. We don't want to live in a little suburban sprawl development where all the houses are the same.

We'll probably be taking a few weekend trips down to look for places. Some ideas of what neighborhoods to drive around and look for "for rent" signs would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM

1,864 posts, read 1,821,617 times
Anyone else think everything in this post completly contradicted itself?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,110,658 times
That's going to be REALLY REALLY tough.

First, the budget. You'd be lucky to get a decent 1br apt for that. No offense, it's not a bad amount to try to live on in my opinion (if you owned the house), but if you're renting, that's going to severely limit your options.

Even if you could, most homes in the metro area are on postage stamp lots. We had something of a land grab here.
The lots that aren't, well you can expect to be nowhere near transit and to have an ample helping on nedrecks. Maybe not, but you're looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Big lots also tends to mean no sidewalks or other infrastructure like hiking trails and parks. All nice amenitites and all doable if you can live with a smaller lot... just not in your price range.

And marta... forget it. If you're an urban pioneer, you may find something on the west end. Invest in a wardrobe with plenty of Kevlar.

It seems like you got a clear idea of what you're looking for so all you gotta do now is hit the rental listings and make some phone calls. Some web sites will plot the properties for you on a map.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM

2,328 posts, read 3,564,939 times
There are many entrances to the Chattahoochee. If you are working at the visitor center that will put you in Dunwoody/Roswell.

In general, I tell most people to expect to pay 1200 plus for renting a home. That is just based on what I see in my neighborhood in Smyrna which is a townhome and considered more affordable by most standards in Atlanta.

Under 1200 you are going to get an older home that is not renovated. If you consider a location like Smyrna, you can get some nice older neighborhoods with decent size lots and very walkable. Smyrna still has a great deal of 1960/70 style homes with carports.

I would consider Smyrna very dog friendly (we also have 2 dog parks) and it is very close to two entrances to the Chattahoochee. But it will be a 20 minute commute to Dunwoody on the best of days. Typically longer and on a bad traffic day no fun at all!

I can't gtd you will find that price range but it is at least a consideration.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM

738 posts, read 1,120,638 times
Yeah, that budget is going to be a limitation. You can rent houses for $800/month but they will either be in a crappy neighborhood or out in the middle of nowhere.

If you don't want neighbors too close and don't want to be close to the road, the middle of nowhere might be your best option. But it probably won't have anything in walking distance, transit access is limited, and will be >20 minute commute from Dunwoody. Try areas like Woodstock, Canton, Ball Ground.

If you want to be walking distance to a library and transit, you'll have close neighbors and maybe a sketchy neighborhood. Take a look at Chamblee or Doraville, or possibly Brookhaven or Riverside.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 15,994,670 times
Ditto everything above, especially the contradictory part. Don't think you can even get a live able apartment for $700 anywhere in the metro area. The OP doesn't say where she's coming from, but it is clearly nothing like Metro ATL. She's in for a culture shock, but only for 9 months at least.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,577,479 times
Oh boy.....your best bet is probably going to be around Jimmy Carter Blvd. in the unincorporated part of Gwinnett county commonly referred to as Norcross, but it isn't actually in the city limits of Norcross.

It certainly ain't gonna be the prettiest place in the world, but most of the folks around there are decent hard working blue collar people. On your budget, though, I don't know what else to say. I had a friend who rented a house around there for around $850 and it certainly was an old house and the neighborhood unsightly, but it was safe and it was cheap. That was in 2000. I don't know if you can still even get in there for $850.

Your budget is almost impossible for what you say you want.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,088 times
I know we're not going to find the perfect place, especially in Atlanta. I was just trying to answer the questions in the sticky, and recall my favorite things about places we've lived in the past. Thank you for the helpful replies.
Really the most important things are that it be a safe place and affordable, and not an apartment. Things being within walking distance isn't a concern. Like I said, public transit nearby would be nice, but it doesn't sound like Atlantas transit system is that good (me coming from Portland OR... hard to compare).

So, to revise my post a little. We're looking for something, safe, affordable, and not an apartment, that is hopefully within 30 minutes of the Chattahoochee River rec area.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM

738 posts, read 1,120,638 times
Well...safe and affordable can be contradictory. ATLJTL may have a good point for you - try the area near Jimmy Carter and I-85 in Norcross. I do see some rental homes in your price range (I use Trulia), and the houses are likely to be 1970s brick ranches (I owned one over there back in the 90s). Be sure to check them out in person, though - some of the neighborhoods in that area are fine, others, not so much.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,391,602 times
It's going to be hard to find what you want as Portland is pretty much the opposite of North Atlanta.
I would check out somewhere like Kennesaw or Woodstock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or