U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,185,341 times

Advertisements

I like the idea in general, but not sure about the exclusively high-end clientele they seem to be after. Obviously they need paying customers to fund the venture, but maybe something a little more open would be a better fit for a project in the middle of town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM

28,189 posts, read 24,793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Build a hotel or corporate apartments along 17th street.
You have a point there. That's an extremely low density project for an urban location.

That was a major issue at Lindbergh. Once somebody plunks tens of millions into a low density project you've pretty much killed any chance for more urban redevelopment for at least a generation or so.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,578,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I like the idea in general, but not sure about the exclusively high-end clientele they seem to be after. Obviously they need paying customers to fund the venture, but maybe something a little more open would be a better fit for a project in the middle of town...
I think there is a misunderstanding about purpose of this proposal. I don't really understand how this will be feasible but it sounds as though the intent will be to develop blue-chip athletes.

This is on the Website.

Quote:
The Odyssey Sports Foundation will be an entity committed to “The Fight against Childhood Obesity.” Its primary purpose is to subsidize the financial resources needed to introduce, identify, develop, educate and empower youth athletes enrolled in the Academy with the necessary attributes to successfully pursue their goals in sports and academics. The Foundation will serve as a conduit to channel worldwide corporate support into various programs within the facility as well as to retain the highest level of coaching, dietary, psychological, orthopedic, physical and academic personnel available in order to support youth development. The sole strategy of the Academy is to identify participants between the ages of 4 to 6 years of age and to foster their development through 16 years of age. In addition, the Odyssey Sports Foundation will endeavor to subsidize the costs of various leagues, clinics and programs for both geriatric and paraplegic athletes within the facility.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,393,209 times
This would be cool, it would be like Chelsea Piers of Atlanta.
It would have to be extremely expensive to be uncompetitive in ATL. A membership at Chelsea Piers is cheaper than joining say, the Lake Claire neighborhood pool.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM

4,266 posts, read 2,854,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
And I actually don't think the location is terrible, provided the neighborhood adjacent to it is adequately protected. I'd rather the lots fronting 17th be saved for something more residential and higher-density.
You are right. Those lots would definitely be better served as a mixed-use development. I just think it's odd that this thing is tucked back on this road to nowhere. But, since it's not a public draw, I guess it doesn't need to be seen.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 AM

22,235 posts, read 16,276,523 times
Quote:
You are right. Those lots would definitely be better served as a mixed-use development. I just think it's odd that this thing is tucked back on this road to nowhere. But, since it's not a public draw, I guess it doesn't need to be seen.
Wouldn't want to make the citizens jealous that they can't use those nice facilities, so they'll hide it from public view.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM

631 posts, read 1,030,104 times
Looks tacky

Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,141,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
A development group is proposing a sports complex next to Midtown’s Atlantic Station.
Odyssey Sports Atlanta would develop the “sportsplex” on land between 450 and 464 Bishop Street. The industrial site is next to the 138-acre Atlantic Station mixed-use development at the Connector and 17th Street.The new recreational facility would include an Olympic-sized pool; 10 basketball courts; 11 tennis courts; two lacrosse and soccer fields; and a hockey rink. The project, called Odyssey Sportsplex, will be geared to training elite athletes, said Harold Buckley, an attorney representing the development group.
“These will be blue-chippers that are looking to play professionally,” Buckley said.
I personally have no idea what good it will do for the environs of Atlanta. Sounds like some sort of private athletic club. Universities cover a lot of that sort of training. I just don't see Atlantic Station, in the heart of the city, with not the best air, as a great place to train athletes. And how will it be financed? And lacrosse? We want to train the next generation of elite lacrosse players? Hockey? We're not much of a hockey town right now.

I just don't see the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta