U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM

738 posts, read 1,117,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
A lot of times its stupid people leaving their car doors unlocked or leaving their phones in bags or valuables int he dugouts while they play softball, kickball, flag football. Ignorance on their part. You can not give someone the opportunity to steal a valuable.
I agree with this, BUT: I also believe that people should be able to be human and live their lives. Environmental awareness notwithstanding, I shouldn't have to worry about getting robbed every time I step out on the sidewalk.

For example, I don't typically walk around with my phone visible or wearing headphones. But almost everyone carries a phone these days, whether it is visible or not -- so by your reasoning, everyone is a crime opportunity waiting to happen. Does carrying a handbag make me more of a target? Are people with pockets inherently targets? Where do you draw the line?

Likewise, I am very careful not to ever leave anything visible in my car. But if I forget once and leave my laptop behind the seat, I'd like to have a reasonable expectation that some lowlife won't break my window and steal it. If I were at the park and decided to play a game with my kids or my friends, I should be able to put my keys down somewhere nearby for fifteen minutes without having a 12-year-old use them to steal my car (this happened at Coan park this summer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
If I were at the park and decided to play a game with my kids or my friends, I should be able to put my keys down somewhere nearby for fifteen minutes without having a 12-year-old use them to steal my car (this happened at Coan park this summer).
Place them in your pocket? Leave the phone in the car's glove box? We don't always have to be attached to our phones every minute. Oh but what about emergencies? What on earth did we do for the centuries before cell phones?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,382,939 times
Quote:
Place them in your pocket? Leave the phone in the car's glove box? We don't always have to be attached to our phones every minute. Oh but what about emergencies? What on earth did we do for the centuries before cell phones?
Honestly, you are just making excuses for a bad environment. A woman walking her kid should not have to worry about being held up at gunpoint for her phone at 9 in the morning. That's some 3rd world ghetto ****.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Honestly, you are just making excuses for a bad environment. A woman walking her kid should not have to worry about being held up at gunpoint for her phone at 9 in the morning. That's some 3rd world ghetto ****.
That statements has nothing to do with a woman walking with kids, but people leaving phones in dugouts and cars unlocked. People should not be targeting an innocent woman pushing a baby stroller, but that's the world we live in now. Its not just a city problem, as poor people move to the suburbs these issue will start occurring in the stepford-subdivisions too.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
A lot of times its stupid people leaving their car doors unlocked or leaving their phones in bags or valuables int he dugouts while they play softball, kickball, flag football. Ignorance on their part. You can not give someone the opportunity to steal a valuable.
I would say the stupid people are the lowlife morons who are doing the stealing.

Last edited by arjay57; 10-17-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I would say the stupid people are lowlife morons who are doing the stealing.
Your are also true about that, but don't present those stupid people with a easy opportunity.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,365 times
Why is it so hard for people to believe that they should be able to walk around with a cell phone and not get robbed? This is insane.

I shouldn't have to change my lifestyle and his my valuables because of scum. It sounds like this city needs batman.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,382,939 times
I agree with the notion that given the circumstances, you need to take precautions about not getting robbed.

However, I'm with the others who think this should not be acceptable.

FWIW, there's always some weird **** going on with dudes lurking around on my street, often right in my driveway. I asked the neighbors and landlord about this, and they said ATLPD basically told the neighborhood mailing list guy that we should call 911 for anything that seems suspicious in the least. I always assumed that the cops didn't really care and might actually be annoyed by a call unless there was an actual crime committed, so that was interesting to hear.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Why is it so hard for people to believe that they should be able to walk around with a cell phone and not get robbed? This is insane.

I shouldn't have to change my lifestyle and his my valuables because of scum. It sounds like this city needs batman.
That is not an unacceptable request, but like rzzz said:
Quote:
I agree with the notion that given the circumstances, you need to take precautions about not getting robbed.
People need to take precautions about their safety. Don't leave your car unlocked, valuables in plain sight, cell phones in plain sight, keys lying around, etc. Be smart about your surroundings, you wouldn't leave a large sum of money on the sidewalk and think that it'll still be there when you return?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:49 PM

738 posts, read 1,117,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post

However, I'm with the others who think this should not be acceptable.

FWIW, there's always some weird **** going on with dudes lurking around on my street, often right in my driveway. I asked the neighbors and landlord about this, and they said ATLPD basically told the neighborhood mailing list guy that we should call 911 for anything that seems suspicious in the least. I always assumed that the cops didn't really care and might actually be annoyed by a call unless there was an actual crime committed, so that was interesting to hear.
Agreed. Taking practical, reasonable precautions is one thing, but it has gone beyond that point if a woman can't safely take her baby for a walk, or a random pedestrian can't talk on the phone outside. It's completely unacceptable. I don't know what the solution is. I could move to the Middle of Nowhere where this isn't a problem, but that doesn't stop it from happening here.

We have street lurkers too. The local drug dealers have lookouts on the corners, and runners who come and go on a regular basis. Other random people leave trash in my yard. We also get trash pickers, random crackheads, and occasional gunshots (which once turned out to be a drive-by shooting). I'm not convinced the cops do care. If they did, the dealers would not have been allowed to operate in that same house for 15+ years. I suspect Zone 6 has bigger things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or