U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,319 posts, read 4,879,492 times
Reputation: 3771

Advertisements

Atlanta is pretty safe. Actually a lot of the crime happens in the Gwinett county suburbs, and you may hear of some stuff happening every blue moon in West Atlanta. for the most part, it's not Chicago style danger, where you're fearing for your life. You end up in the wrong neighborhood, some people may stare you down, but it's rare it goes any further than that. People in Atlanta, even the criminals are really about making money, so many don't find a point in harassing innocent people. A lot of murders in Atlanta are mainly due to some guy finding his girlfriend on the couch with some other guy, and then he proceeds to murder that guy or something. There are VERY few street murders, and even when their are, VERY few innocent people get murdered. Overall senseless violence really isn't what Atlanta has ever been about. There is an odd story of it happening here and there, but for the most part criminals in Atlanta are too money minded to bother with petty violent crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,349 posts, read 16,359,253 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
Now that I know the parts of Atlanta to avoid, I can search for more opprotunites in the OK parts.
Its like someone told me when I first moved to Atlanta. Stay north of I-20 and east of I-75, that's the best advice for someone new to Atlanta, until you can explore on your own and figure out what areas suit you. There are some nice pockets in the other areas, eg: Grant Park, East Atlanta, Glenwood Park,Washington Park, Capital View, West End, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
738 posts, read 1,123,086 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Never said there's no crime in Senoia. I said there's little crime. My wallet was stolen in Atlanta before.. Aren't you supposed to be helpful? All I am asking, which part of Atlanta hires most technician's in the state?
You didn't ask this at all, you asked about crime and safety. We might be able to help with this question too, if you can be a bit more specific. What kind of technician - medical, electronics, automotive, environmental?

I moved to Atlanta almost a year ago, from a quiet, safe, rural town 50 miles north. I've worked downtown for several years and I live in a transitional area (crime is improving, but not there yet). So far, nothing negative has happened to me personally, but we've had some bad stuff in very close proximity.

The need for constant situational awareness was hard to get used to at first, but it's getting easier. You have to modify your behavior somewhat, but it's mostly common sense and not difficult. Examples:
- Never, ever leave visible valuables in your car, not even an iPod or loose change. Someone will break a window to get it.
- Get an alarm system for your home and have it monitored.
- Get to know your neighbors, and look out for each other. My neighbor across the street is an old-school drug dealer, but actively deterred some sketchy characters from my front porch last week.
- Don't wear headphones when you walk, you want to hear the people around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,349 posts, read 16,359,253 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
- Get an alarm system for your home and have it monitored.
- Get to know your neighbors, and look out for each other. My neighbor across the street is an old-school drug dealer, but actively deterred some sketchy characters from my front porch last week.
- Don't wear headphones when you walk, you want to hear the people around you.
Great advice. Getting to know your neighbors is a great way to look out for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Senoia, GA
254 posts, read 322,990 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
You didn't ask this at all, you asked about crime and safety. We might be able to help with this question too, if you can be a bit more specific. What kind of technician - medical, electronics, automotive, environmental?

I moved to Atlanta almost a year ago, from a quiet, safe, rural town 50 miles north. I've worked downtown for several years and I live in a transitional area (crime is improving, but not there yet). So far, nothing negative has happened to me personally, but we've had some bad stuff in very close proximity.

The need for constant situational awareness was hard to get used to at first, but it's getting easier. You have to modify your behavior somewhat, but it's mostly common sense and not difficult. Examples:
- Never, ever leave visible valuables in your car, not even an iPod or loose change. Someone will break a window to get it.
- Get an alarm system for your home and have it monitored.
- Get to know your neighbors, and look out for each other. My neighbor across the street is an old-school drug dealer, but actively deterred some sketchy characters from my front porch last week.
- Don't wear headphones when you walk, you want to hear the people around you.
Electronics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM
 
616 posts, read 882,645 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
- Get to know your neighbors, and look out for each other. My neighbor across the street is an old-school drug dealer, but actively deterred some sketchy characters from my front porch last week.
Sounds like a friendly neighbor. Are you talking "Weeds" type drug dealing or more hard core stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
738 posts, read 1,123,086 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Sounds like a friendly neighbor. Are you talking "Weeds" type drug dealing or more hard core stuff?
Hard to tell for sure. The first day we moved in, they tried to sell "pills" to my teenager, so I'd say, recreational pharmaceuticals like bars (Xanax) or speed. Crack wouldn't surprise me either, based on the skinny customers I've observed, but I've seen no sign of weed.

They're older grey-haired folks, have been dealing here for 15+ years according to my other neighbor, and cruise the neighborhood constantly. They have runners that include young guys on bikes, corner lookouts, and a few older people who come by on bikes or on foot.

Yes, there are people in and out constantly, and the noise level is high. Yes, they are doing something illegal. I give them a little respect because:
1. They didn't push my son when he said no -- that was the end of it.
2. They are always friendly to me, wave and say "how ya doin" every day, etc.
3. The business appears to provide income for their retirement, including 2 disabled adult sons, and
4. As I mentioned before, they got a couple of sketchy dudes off my front porch, and yelled at them until they bolted. I was slow to answer the doorbell and ended up not having to deal with them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,349 posts, read 16,359,253 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Hard to tell for sure. The first day we moved in, they tried to sell "pills" to my teenager, so I'd say, recreational pharmaceuticals like bars (Xanax) or speed. Crack wouldn't surprise me either, based on the skinny customers I've observed, but I've seen no sign of weed.

They're older grey-haired folks, have been dealing here for 15+ years according to my other neighbor, and cruise the neighborhood constantly. They have runners that include young guys on bikes, corner lookouts, and a few older people who come by on bikes or on foot.

Yes, there are people in and out constantly, and the noise level is high. Yes, they are doing something illegal. I give them a little respect because:
1. They didn't push my son when he said no -- that was the end of it.
2. They are always friendly to me, wave and say "how ya doin" every day, etc.
3. The business appears to provide income for their retirement, including 2 disabled adult sons, and
4. As I mentioned before, they got a couple of sketchy dudes off my front porch, and yelled at them until they bolted. I was slow to answer the doorbell and ended up not having to deal with them at all.
Everybody has a hustle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM
 
87 posts, read 164,484 times
Reputation: 83
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Senoia, GA
254 posts, read 322,990 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Hard to tell for sure. The first day we moved in, they tried to sell "pills" to my teenager, so I'd say, recreational pharmaceuticals like bars (Xanax) or speed. Crack wouldn't surprise me either, based on the skinny customers I've observed, but I've seen no sign of weed.

They're older grey-haired folks, have been dealing here for 15+ years according to my other neighbor, and cruise the neighborhood constantly. They have runners that include young guys on bikes, corner lookouts, and a few older people who come by on bikes or on foot.

Yes, there are people in and out constantly, and the noise level is high. Yes, they are doing something illegal. I give them a little respect because:
1. They didn't push my son when he said no -- that was the end of it.
2. They are always friendly to me, wave and say "how ya doin" every day, etc.
3. The business appears to provide income for their retirement, including 2 disabled adult sons, and
4. As I mentioned before, they got a couple of sketchy dudes off my front porch, and yelled at them until they bolted. I was slow to answer the doorbell and ended up not having to deal with them at all.
My goodness, what aera of Atlanta are you living in? In Senoia, the Farmers would shoot at any shady characters that walk up to them with guns or pills....

That happened one time. A farmer had shot into the air because a masked thief tried to steal some of his cattle. Thankfully, down the road a Police officier caught him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top