Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM

254 posts, read 417,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
There are plenty of Atlanta suburbs that are not snobby and have much lower crime rates than the city. Whether you have to live there to feel safe is subjective. Everyone's crime tolerance level and criteria for peace of mind is different. I moved to Atlanta a year ago from a very rural suburb, and to be honest, I'm still adjusting. My teenager, on the other hand, has no problem with it.

On one hand, most of the crime is property related. This is true, but the property crime rate is pretty high, and also sometimes spills over into violence. Someone getting robbed of their cellphone on the street may technically be property crime, but it's not something I want to happen to me or my family. Car break-ins and home invasions are pretty common, and they are relatively harmless, but I still don't want deal with it. Some people accept it as the price of living in an otherwise great place; to me it's frickin' uncivilized.

Some folks say that the violent crime is targeted, so not a risk to the general public. The most recent park shooting in my neighborhood was a high school kid getting shot by someone he knew, in the middle of the afternoon. Granted, it wasn't random violence, but if I had small children I definitely wouldn't feel safe taking them to a park where there might be stray bullets. Other people take their kids there all the time.
Home invasions are harmless? People are bringing semi-autos into houses and shooting them up.. Who would want there car to be broken in to? Who would want there phone stolen? Wow. I am originally from Harrisburg, Pennsyilivania and I tell you things like that NEVER happen there.

And about the masked thief thing, I was not bluffing. There are lunatics even in this beautiful town of Senoia. He had a Guy Fawkes mask on, armed with a machette trying to take Ham so he can slaughter, and eat them for himsef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Some of this advice is helpful thus far.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM

87 posts, read 194,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Do you need to live in the snobby aeras of Atlanta (like alpheretta) to actually get a peace of mind and know someone won't rob you at gunpoint? I mean, what is wrong with people? Do these people have no minds? What kind of person walks up to an old lady and points a gun at them? You can't even go to a park now without worrying about being shot? If I end up getting a job in Atlanta, I am NOT living in it. I don't care how long the drive.
You sound extremely ignorant and paranoid. Plenty of beautiful parks in metro Atlanta where people take their kids and they not worried about being shot. Your delusional.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:01 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Home invasions are harmless? People are bringing semi-autos into houses and shooting them up.. Who would want there car to be broken in to? Who would want there phone stolen? Wow. I am originally from Harrisburg, Pennsyilivania and I tell you things like that NEVER happen there.

Violent weekend in Harrisburg after several home invasions, armed robberies - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area

Police Seek to ID Suspect in Harrisburg Home Invasion Robbery - WPMT

Police seek Harrisburg man injured in home invasion - abc27 WHTM

Harrisburg man arrested after home invasion robbery in suburbs | PennLive.com

Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcontroller View Post
You sound extremely ignorant and paranoid. Plenty of beautiful parks in metro Atlanta where people take their kids and they not worried about being shot. Your delusional.
I am not ignorant nor paranoid nor delusional. What beautiful park in Metro Atlanta would be safe for a jog? I go 10 minutes north every day to the Griffin, GA jogging park and don't have to worry about being shot. I just want a nice place, where there is a mix of Black and white people, and college grads. That's all I am asking for, and I am asking for the nice places around ATL.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:49 AM

Well uptown harrisburg has some problems....The suburbs..My goodness Harrisburg is going down the drains.. Well, it is going poor and bankrupt, which is part of the reason I left..Senoia is certainly better then Harrisburg I will tell you that, maybe Atlanta is also..

Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times
Quote:
I am not ignorant nor paranoid nor delusional. What beautiful park in Metro Atlanta would be safe for a jog? I go 10 minutes north every day to the Griffin, GA jogging park and don't have to worry about being shot. I just want a nice place, where there is a mix of Black and white people, and college grads. That's all I am asking for, and I am asking for the nice places around ATL.
I would think any park in Cobb would be safe for jogging. I can't speak for the City of Atlanta itself because I don't live there.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 PM

87 posts, read 194,383 times
Quote:
Freedom Park. Checkmate.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:52 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,032,324 times
Piedmont Park is safe and great for jogging.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,089,747 times
Quote:
There must be 2 Griffin GA's in this state. Because the Griffin GA Ive been to is no stranger to people getting shot. First time it went there was actually humbling because I realized that GA as a state has a lot of rough parts that aint in Atlanta . Griffin GA didn't look safe at all homie. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta