Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Sounds like a teenager crime, thankfully the lady and her baby were not harmed.
A great way to deter crime like this is to get more people using the sidewalks. More eyes on the street the better. We need to send a message to the criminals that crimes like these will not scare us off the sidewalks.
Yeah. Unfortunately it's the second "teenager crime" like this in the past six weeks, within a two-block radius. Both times women were held at gunpoint for their phones. Both times nobody got hurt, but one of these days the teenager is going to be a wannabe gangster with something to prove, and he's gonna fire a few shots at someone before running off.

I don't think the criminals' goal is to scare people off the sidewalks, I think they just want to snatch stuff that isn't theirs. "Letting the terrorists win" is a bad analogy in this case.

KingJohn, Alpharetta and Milton are both safe places to live. But don't take my word for it, check out the crime maps (you can search by address): http://www.spotcrime.com/ga/atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
This thread makes me think of that night they played Tranformers at Piedmont & all the black kids who were beating & throwing rocks at the gay people on 10th street. Pretty rowdy scene.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Atlanta is pretty safe. Actually a lot of the crime happens in the Gwinett county suburbs, and you may hear of some stuff happening every blue moon in West Atlanta. for the most part, it's not Chicago style danger, where you're fearing for your life. You end up in the wrong neighborhood, some people may stare you down, but it's rare it goes any further than that. People in Atlanta, even the criminals are really about making money, so many don't find a point in harassing innocent people. A lot of murders in Atlanta are mainly due to some guy finding his girlfriend on the couch with some other guy, and then he proceeds to murder that guy or something. There are VERY few street murders, and even when their are, VERY few innocent people get murdered. Overall senseless violence really isn't what Atlanta has ever been about. There is an odd story of it happening here and there, but for the most part criminals in Atlanta are too money minded to bother with petty violent crimes.
Lol
They bout that money huh?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I completely disagree. Crime happens in Gwinnett, but Gwinnett still has a lot of nice areas and is no where near where all the crime happens. Crime wise as far as metro counties go Dekalb is the worst. And far as the city goes you may think crime happens in West Atlanta once in a blue moon, but that's not true either. You just won't hear about it on the news or in the paper. No one in the local media cares if someone gets layed out in the Bluff or Pittsburgh because it happens so much. And most of the murders in the city are not over some guy finding his girl cheating or even gang bs like how you see in places like Chicago. Most of the murders here are over drugs and robberies. The problem here is the different crews robbing each other. That's pretty much the Atlanta street way, drug dealers go and spend all their re-up money at the strip club, then when they run out of product they go rob the guy around the corner who sells. And the cycle just repeats itself over and over.
where do strippers spend their money? I'm guessing the same place other women do? Of coarse the koreans get their cut, but its like the drug mon money goes right back into the econmy

Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I'm not really worried about my iPhone because I studied with ninjas in tibet for a decade right before I invented my robotic crime fighting suit. I still don't like jogging in it, though, because there are too many speed humps in this part of towm.
One of the best I've seen!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Pitiful. 9 AM in the morning?! Thats when I jog. I'm positive I'd be able to knock down any thief if he held me at gunpoint, but, due to my agressive nature when it comes to Martial Arts-I might be the one going to prison..Which is why I need a safe place. Not for my own safety, but for the safety of the person that tries to kill me. I will just ask this, is Alpheretta, Georgia and Milton, Georgia safe? They are all 30 minutes away from Atlanta, I can do it if they are safe.
I bet you can't beat Willie B from Grant Part!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 PM

254 posts, read 419,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I bet you can't beat Willie B from Grant Part!
No I couldn't.

1. He's dead.

2. My skills are for disarming people, and striking the pressure points and blocking chi's, I can not par on with a Guerilla. I've actually never had to use my practicing skills before. I've just walked away from most fights that didn't concern me. If someone had tried to hurt me with a gun/knife, I will do my best to defend myself, everyone in Atlanta should do the same.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
If you've never heard of any of this, you aren't paying attention. Do you read local crime reports or check the crime maps?
Don't read them as I don't care what a crime report says, I go on what my gut instinct tells me. I go to that corner store across from Coan Park almost everyday and buy cigarettes and not once have I felt unsafe. I even leave my car running sometimes when I go in there. I have a po box down at the post office on Hosea Williams and go there every day. Never felt unsafe. Im not saying its sweet and Im sure people do get jacked in the area but my Sig Sauer along with 20 some odd years of street smarts keeps me at ease. If someone falls victim to a robbery at Coan Park it for sure will not be me.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
If someone falls victim to a robbery at Coan Park it for sure will not be me.
A lot of times its stupid people leaving their car doors unlocked or leaving their phones in bags or valuables int he dugouts while they play softball, kickball, flag football. Ignorance on their part. You can not give someone the opportunity to steal a valuable.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Don't read them as I don't care what a crime report says, I go on what my gut instinct tells me. I go to that corner store across from Coan Park almost everyday and buy cigarettes and not once have I felt unsafe. I even leave my car running sometimes when I go in there. I have a po box down at the post office on Hosea Williams and go there every day. Never felt unsafe. Im not saying its sweet and Im sure people do get jacked in the area but my Sig Sauer along with 20 some odd years of street smarts keeps me at ease. If someone falls victim to a robbery at Coan Park it for sure will not be me.
It's your choice to be intentionally uninformed, but no wonder you've "never seen or heard of people getting robbed and mugged." I don't mean to dismiss your gut instinct, but it's only part of the information available to you. Just because you haven't seen it yourself doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta