U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 PM

924 posts, read 1,128,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Thanks for all the help. We are planning to leave early Friday morning and should be in Atlanta by noon. Would the possibility of finding an off site parking spot exist around the stadium with us arriving that long before gametime or would the MARTA route still be the best option. I am looking online for a stadium lot parking pass but haven't had any luck so far.
You could definitely find somewhere to park if you came in that early. If you are planning on tailgating before the game then you could do that. There isn't a ton around Turner Field otherwise to do for that long. If you go that route park somewhere just on the west side of I-75 around Ralph David Abernathy Blvd and you should be able to get back on I-20 westbound relatively easy after the game. The people who say you will have problems leaving after the game are right only IF you park on the wrong side of Turner Field. It is better to walk an extra 5 minutes to park in the correct area to get out after the game then to park as close as possible and be stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. We are planning to leave early Friday morning and should be in Atlanta by noon. Would the possibility of finding an off site parking spot exist around the stadium with us arriving that long before gametime or would the MARTA route still be the best option. I am looking online for a stadium lot parking pass but haven't had any luck so far.
There will be little to no parking open at noon and nothing will be happening around the stadium that early for a 5pm game. Take MARTA and enjoy an afternoon in Downtown Atlanta, eat at a nice restaurant, see Centennial Olympic Park, GA Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, something besides parking and sitting in your car until tailgating starts. It is a little far, by American standards, to walk from off-site parking to anything in Downtown Atlanta.
Be careful of off-site parking. Some of those sites are scams and you will be towed or targeted for a break-in. Word of advice, do not leave any valuables in plain sight anywhere you park in Atlanta or you will have a busted out window.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 AM

3,207 posts, read 4,505,860 times
You'd probably want to arrive at roughy three hours before gametime. Earlier the official lots and many unofficial lots will probably be closed.

East or west of the connector is tricky...west is a rougher neighborhood with smaller lots and less of a tailgate atmosphere, but more convenient to I-20 west. The east side has bigger lots with much more tailgating, but you'll be stuck in traffic for a while after the game most likely and getting on I-20 west is a chore (the easiest way to get to I-20 west would be getting on I-20 east, getting off at the first exit, then turning around).

Any big-ish lot won't be a scam, but you definitely need to hide your valuables. Scam lots are more common around the Dome (basically someone just goes up to a normal pay lot and tells people pulling in to pay them $20, then runs away and the people are asked to pay again--usually the lot attendant knows what's going on and gets his cut). Budget $50 for parking.

There are plenty of things to do that can kill a couple hours if needed. Personally I would head over to the White Provisions district and grab a meal. Beautifully-converted factory brimming with great places to eat.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM
PRB PRB started this thread

7 posts, read 13,683 times
I spoke with a friend who attended last Sundays game, which was also sold out. They were allowed to park in the blue lot without a parking pass, two hours before gametime. They paid $15. Is this common to be allowed in without a pass?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I spoke with a friend who attended last Sundays game, which was also sold out. They were allowed to park in the blue lot without a parking pass, two hours before gametime. They paid $15. Is this common to be allowed in without a pass?
For big games, they presell all of the parking (you'll see signs that say "Parking Passes Only" or something to that effect). For others, it's first come first served. I believe all lots are passes only for this game, but might be wrong. You might luck out and get into one of the outer lots, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM

All on-site parking is sold out for tonight's game.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,112 times
Advice for Braves game parking ; don't.

Marta is smarta.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Advice for Braves game parking ; don't.

Marta is smarta.
It truly is the best advice for Braves games. Let MARTA pick up you from Underground Atlanta, drop off at the stadium front door. Pick up after the game and drop off at Five Points Station.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM

Normally I agree (that's what I'm doing tonight) but it sounds like OP wants to tailgate. If so, MARTA is not the way to go.

Tailgating without a car is a bit awkward...I've done it before. Without a car, you're just standing under a tree drinking beer. The presence of a car legitimizes the activity.

By the way, five hours until gametime. GO BRAVES!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 AM
PRB PRB started this thread

7 posts, read 13,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Normally I agree (that's what I'm doing tonight) but it sounds like OP wants to tailgate. If so, MARTA is not the way to go.

Tailgating without a car is a bit awkward...I've done it before. Without a car, you're just standing under a tree drinking beer. The presence of a car legitimizes the activity.

By the way, five hours until gametime. GO BRAVES!
We're not really concerned with tailgating. We're just going to do the MARTA route. Thanks for all the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta