U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
PRB PRB started this thread

7 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in town Friday for the Braves-Cardinals game and I am needing some advice/tips on parking. I haven't been to a game in 10+ years so the traffic and parking is all a mystery to me. I have searched online but the info I have been able to find mentions streets downtown that I am not familiar with. We are travelling from Alabama and will be coming in from west of town on I-20. Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:45 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
My wife and I will be in town Friday for the Braves-Cardinals game and I am needing some advice/tips on parking. I haven't been to a game in 10+ years so the traffic and parking is all a mystery to me. I have searched online but the info I have been able to find mentions streets downtown that I am not familiar with. We are travelling from Alabama and will be coming in from west of town on I-20. Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated!
My best advice since this is a playoff game and most likely sold out, park at the H.E. Holmes MARTA station off I-20 west, MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. Ride the Blue Line eastbound to Five Points and ride the Braves shuttle, MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, to Turner Field. After the game the shuttle bus will drop you back off at Five Points Station and ride the Blue Line train westbound to H.E. Holmes and from there you can jump on I-20 west to Alabama.
This is a Friday night game, playoff game, and possibly Chipper Jones last home game. Traffic downtown will be a nighmare, if you unfamiliar with downtown, MARTA is the best way since it will take you directly to Five Points and the stadium.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
My best advice since this is a playoff game and most likely sold out, park at the H.E. Holmes MARTA station off I-20 west, MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. Ride the Blue Line eastbound to Five Points and ride the Braves shuttle, MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, to Turner Field. After the game the shuttle bus will drop you back off at Five Points Station and ride the Blue Line train westbound to H.E. Holmes and from there you can jump on I-20 west to Alabama.
This is a Friday night game, playoff game, and possibly Chipper Jones last home game. Traffic downtown will be a nighmare, if you unfamiliar with downtown, MARTA is the best way since it will take you directly to Five Points and the stadium.
From searching online, I was thinking of trying the MARTA route. The last game I attended we parked downtown around the capital and walked but I seem to remember it being a rather long walk. I am somewhat familiar with downtown but not enough to know where available parking is. If we do choose the MARTA route, what would the approximate travel time be from the station you suggested to the ballpark? Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM

3,207 posts, read 4,505,860 times
Travel time on MARTA would be a maximum of one hour from the time you pull into the parking lot to the time you walk into the stadium. Most likely less, but this allows for various contingencies. Average would probably be 30 minutes.

Parking on unofficial lots will be available, but prices typically soar up to $40-50 for sellout games (this game is now standing room only so is in effect a sellout). Parking for all official lots is sold out.

MARTA is going to be your easiest bet, given your lack of familiarity with the area especially.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
If we do choose the MARTA route, what would the approximate travel time be from the station you suggested to the ballpark? Thanks
Travel time from H.E. Holmes to Five Points, during rush hour will be less than 20 minutes. I'm sure MARTA will run peak time after the game, with it being a major event. They did it Sunday.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM

924 posts, read 1,128,544 times
Normally I would tell you to drive there and park but apparently official Braves parking is sold out so you are stuck with Marta or sketchy/expensive private parking lots.

HE Holmes is the best place to park for you for Marta. The actual ride won't take that long and you might wait for a train as long as you ride one. My guess would be 20-25 minutes but it could be less if you luck out and get a train right when you get there. Once you get to Five Points you have to walk through Underground so from the time you get off the train probably another 10 minute walk and with the game sold out you might have to wait 5-10 additional minutes to get on the bus. The bus ride will take about 10 minutes as well(as long as your driver doesn't get lost, but that only happened to me once). The bus does drop you off right outside the stadium so that part is nice. Overall you are probably looking at 45 minutes to an hour from the time you park to the time you are walking into the stadium. The busses also drop off at the end of the 3rd base line in the outfield so if you are sitting on the first base dugout side you have a bit of a walk there as well.

After the game book it to the bus stop again if you don't want to wait a long time to get back on a bus.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My guess would be 20-25 minutes but it could be less if you luck out and get a train right when you get there
The OP will be traveling to the stadium during rush hour so headways are at most 15 minutes.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 PM

924 posts, read 1,128,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The OP will be traveling to the stadium during rush hour so headways are at most 15 minutes.
I was including travel time from Holmes to 5 Points in that estimate as well as waiting at the station.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks for all the help. We are planning to leave early Friday morning and should be in Atlanta by noon. Would the possibility of finding an off site parking spot exist around the stadium with us arriving that long before gametime or would the MARTA route still be the best option. I am looking online for a stadium lot parking pass but haven't had any luck so far.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM

743 posts, read 652,082 times
If you're coming to Atlanta that early, don't go straight to turner field and wait around a parking lot for 5 hours. Take MARTA, go to peachtree center station (1 stop north of 5 points station on red/gold line) go to a restaurant, go see Centennial Park, maybe take a horse and buggie ride or segway tour around downtown. Then head back to 5 points (walking distance from the south end of the park) and take the shuttle to turner field.

Even if you do get to turner field early and find parking, getting out of there will be a nightmare if you drive, especially if you are unfamiliar with downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta