U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM

262 posts, read 890,203 times

Advertisements

Hi there...

Hoping somone can give some real insight on Marietta City schools. Looking at moving to the area from FL for better quality of life, and really like the Marietta area.

We have heard some really good things about MCS from friends, but in looking at some of the reviews from greatschools.org, we still have some questions.

It appears that West Side and Burruss are the highest rated schools for Elem (we have 1 child, who is in 3rd grade now). There is a tab on great schools listing a breakdown of student diversity. While I am all for diversity, there is also a listing that states the % of Students that are "economically disadvantaged" is 43%. That definitely raises a red flag.

The numbers seem to increase for Marietta Middle and Marietta High school.

This is opposed to somewhere like Pickett's Mill Elementary
Anyone familiar with this school?

Our child is is currently in private school in Jacksonville, and we are hoping to find a quality public school.
My wife has been a substitute teacher here in town and has seen what 'really happens' in schools from the inside, and that you can't just go by ratings and test scores.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM

2,328 posts, read 3,558,890 times
Why Marietta City Schools specifically? Will you be working in the area?

The top rated schools in that area are in East Cobb. Homes in East Cobb typically have a Marietta address but they are not in the actual city of Marietta and belong to the Cobb Country School system.

There are other very good schools in the area (West Cobb, Kennesaw etc) that are also part of the Cobb County School system.

Cobb County Scools and Marietta City Schools are two different school districts.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM

262 posts, read 890,203 times
We currently live in a historic area in Jacksonville (Riverside), and would like to be close to Marietta Square.
(are there other places in Cobb County that are similar to Marietta Square?)

Schools are definitley #1 for us, and neighborhood, preferably with a community pool is # 2.
We'd like to be near the 'mountains' (Kennesaw, I suppose).
The biggest mountain/hill in Jacksonville is a bridge!

Close to somewhere historic is 2a.

Commute for me would be near the bottom of the priority list. I don't mind driving an hour to work.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM

550 posts, read 759,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizliz0925 View Post
We currently live in a historic area in Jacksonville (Riverside), and would like to be close to Marietta Square.

Schools are definitley #1 for us, and neighborhood, preferably with a community pool is # 2.

Commute for me would be near the bottom of the priority list. I don't mind driving an hour to work.
You can be <10 minutes from Roswell square and cute main street in historic Roswell, have a Marietta address, and East Cobb schools. If schools are number 1 priority, I would encourage you to look at East Cobb schools. Tons of swim/tennis neighborhoods. I came from your neck of the woods and am so happy to be here!

Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,136,839 times
You can also look in Cherokee County, near downtown Woodstock. While not as large as Marietta Square or Roswell, they have a great downtown area, and the schools are excellent. You'd be closer to the "real" mountains up around Blue Ridge as well- Kennesaw Mountain is just a large hill by comparison.....

Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times
Hello!

1. The schools in East Cobb are great, but I want you to realize that Marietta City Schools are an excellent choice.

2. You can get a fabulous traditional public education in the Marietta City Schools, K-12. You are already doing the right thing by focusing on Burruss Elementary and West Side Elementary, which are the best options for the traditional public elementary route. There are seven traditional elementary schools and one advanced academics elementary school (Grades 3-5). All students attend Marietta Sixth Grade Academy, Marietta Middle School (Grades 7-8), and Marietta High School (Grades 9-12).

3. The Marietta Square area is a fantastic place to live and raise a family!

4. The reason that the Marietta City School System's scores may seem only "OK" when compared to East Cobb, is because Marietta City serves a diverse socioeconomic population consisting of upper, upper-middle, middle, lower-middle, and working class families--with a fair distribution of White, Black, and Hispanic/Latino students. An ideal environment to raise a family in my opinion.

5. Moreover, for such a small system, Marietta City has a plethora of educational options and educational programs:

a. Elementary Choice Academies--
Marietta City Schools: Programs: Choice Academies
*My top recommendations would be the programs at Sawyer Road, Hickory Hills, and West Side.

b. STEM Magnet Program--
Marietta City Schools: Programs: Magnet Programs
*For Grades 3-8

c. Marietta Center for Advanced Academics
Marietta Center for Advanced Academics - Index
*For Grades 3-5

d. International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP)
Sawyer Road Elementary - IB Program
*At Sawyer Road Elementary

d. Internatonal Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP)
Marietta City Schools: Programs: IB Middle Years Program
*At Marietta 6th Grade Academy and Marietta Middle School

d. International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma)
Marietta High School - IB Diploma Program
*At Marietta High School

6. You can live anywhere in the Marietta City School District and still take part in any of the options listed in #5 above.

7. Again, the City of Marietta is a great place to live and raise a family long-term. The school system is excellent. The neighborhoods are beautiful and pedestrian-friendly. Definitely give it a serious look.

8. Here is some other helpful information:

~Community/Relocation Information
Marietta City Schools: Community: A Great Place To Live

~Gifted Education
Marietta City Schools - Programs - Gifted Student Services

~Attendance Zone Map
http://www.marietta-city.org/files/d...nceZoneMap.pdf

~West Side Elementary
West Side Elementary - Index

~Burruss Elementary
A. L. Burruss Elementary - Index

~Marietta Sixth Grade Academy
Marietta Sixth Grade Academy - Index

~Marietta Middle School
Marietta Middle School - Index

~Marietta High School
Marietta High School - Index

~Interactive School "Roadmap" (pretty cool!)
Marietta City Schools Road Map

~Fact Sheet
Marietta City Schools: About Us: Fact Sheet

~General Information
Marietta City Schools: About Us: Our Mission

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM

924 posts, read 1,130,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizliz0925 View Post

How close to Marietta Square do you feel like you need to be? You can live in the county with better schools and still be within a 5-10 minute drive from the Square.

As someone else mentioned you may also want to check out the downtown Woodstock area.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM

36 posts, read 88,318 times
I live a few minutes from Marietta Square and have enjoyed living here for the past 6 years. The kids in my neighborhood attend West Side ES, but I have never heard anyone say anything specifically bad about any of the schools within the Marietta City District (and I am a teacher). Compared to the Cobb County School District, which includes East Cobb, Marietta City is a very small school system, which allows them to offer a few things that a larger school system cannot offer. Teacher turnover is fairly low and many of the teachers who work in the system love it. Good luck to you and your family on your impending move. Hope this helps!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 PM

2,328 posts, read 3,558,890 times
Here is a very recent new article regarding Marietta City Schools

Lembeck increases scores, brings attention to Marietta schools | www.ajc.com

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Here is a very recent new article regarding Marietta City Schools

Lembeck increases scores, brings attention to Marietta schools | www.ajc.com
I came here to post the exact same link.

An excellent school system, Marietta City Schools is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or