U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 AM

369 posts, read 534,510 times

Advertisements

I was hoping they would start a tear down plan of the mall and start building a mixed use project that would make Buckhead more urban. I don't think Simons knows how to do that though. This just seems like a waste of money that could be put towards better use of where the country is going, especially when indoor malls are a dying breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,619,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
I was hoping they would start a tear down plan of the mall and start building a mixed use project that would make Buckhead more urban. I don't think Simons knows how to do that though. This just seems like a waste of money that could be put towards better use of where the country is going, especially when indoor malls are a dying breed.
What the hell are you talking about?

Tear down a very successful mall and start over? Yeah, that makes sense...

Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,427,001 times
They feeling the heat from BA and PCM

Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM

28,209 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Quote:
I was hoping they would start a tear down plan of the mall and start building a mixed use project that would make Buckhead more urban. I don't think Simons knows how to do that though.
What about the mixed used project on other side of the mall, with the office tower, hotel, parking deck and mall expansion?

They're also approved for two more condo towers on the GA 400 side.

I'm sure the Peachtree frontage will be redeveloped but the economy has been well, pretty bad, for the last five years.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

Tear down a very successful mall and start over? Yeah, that makes sense...
Maybe it's not as successful as you think. From what I've read it's not. Think about it... why pour money into an update if it's so successful? From what Ive read Simons has had to give incentives to some retailers in order for them to stay at the mall. Some of them are shopping around for an area that resembles an urban experience including Buckhead Atlanta just a about a mile south. Those with a greater disposable income, 25-34 age range with no kids prefer living in an urban area and retailers are following them there.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What about the mixed used project on other side of the mall, with the office tower, hotel, parking deck and mall expansion?

They're also approved for two more condo towers on the GA 400 side.

I'm sure the Peachtree frontage will be redeveloped but the economy has been well, pretty bad, for the last five years.
That's part of the problem, it's also has huge setbacks and not up to the street(not mall road but Lenox rd) and has no ground floor retail. It just looks like a suburban office park, mall offices and hotel like tysons corner, va.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,619,975 times
Quote:
Maybe it's not as successful as you think. From what I've read it's not. Think about it... why pour money into an update if it's so successful? From what Ive read Simons has had to give incentives to some retailers in order for them to stay at the mall. Some of them are shopping around for an area that resembles an urban experience including Buckhead Atlanta just a about a mile south. Those with a greater disposable income, 25-34 age range with no kids prefer living in an urban area and retailers are following them there.
Something tells me you didn't read the article.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That's part of the problem, it's also has huge setbacks and not up to the street(not mall road but Lenox rd) and has no ground floor retail.
That mid-80s design is definitely showing its age. They ought to retrofit for a better street presence. That would be very cool!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,398,012 times
Quote:
Huh?

99% of the tenants wouldn't be at Lenox if it wasn't the successful beat that it is. I don't think I've ever seen a failing mall that possessed luxury boutiques such as Prada, Ermenegildo Zegna, and Fendi, let alone anchored by a Bloomingdales and a Neiman Marcus. Many companies have some of their largest stores at Lenox including Louis Vuitton, Pottery Barn, and Forever 21. In fact, Lenox brought in $700 per square foot, well above the average $300 per square foot (these figures were from 2010. I'm sure the number has only increased since then).

If a mall wants to continue to experience commercial success and attract new stores, it has to update. This is basic stuff.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 PM

Anthropologie at Lenox eyes $500,000 facelift - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or